Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does flight numbering decide whether continuation leg gets new UA flight number?

How does flight numbering decide whether continuation leg gets new UA flight number?

Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Like "13", "69", and "666"
"911", also.
They're usable, but UA chooses not to use them, for various reasons.
I mean the block of ~40 in the 13xx range, the charter block, etc.

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
And ATC as well as IATA. There's a limit to the size of the flight identifier field in an ATC data tag, by international treaty/agreement (ICAO and IATA). AAANNNNZ
AAA: The 3-letter airline identifier. (though it's usually 2)
NNNN: The flight number (1-4 digits)
Z: The "operational suffix". Covers situations where a flight is so delayed, it bumps into the next scheduled flight of that number. So one of the 2 gets an additional letter in the flight strip (usually "D", "X", or "Y").

Edit: Found the ICAO reference. "not exceeding 7 alphanumeric characters and without hyphens or symbols". So AANNNNZ is right at 7 characters.
ICAO uses 3 character airline codes, so they'll use AAANNNN or AAANNNZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.