Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
People have already hit most of the points I wanted to make. But ...

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is it possible that calling from Switzerland caused UA's phone system to not recognize who you are and your 1K status?
Unfortunately, I can say that that has not been a problem for me. (Fortunately, it wasn't a problem. )

Originally Posted by 757FO
As a United employee, I am sorry you had this experience. There is a sense amongst some of us that the quality and customer focus is taking a downward spiral. To be candid, there are times I wonder why anyone would fly on us, and other times when everything works, I realize how great we could be if we consistently behaved that way.
I think that you kinda answered yourself:

Originally Posted by 757FO
Sadly, this problem isn't unique to United but every domestic airline. Sadly, the airlines, not to mention much of corporate America, lack true leadership. Profit has always been put ahead of people, but it is significantly worse now.
Yeah, I've had my share of problems on United, but the good experiences far outweigh the bad ones for me. United gets me where I need to go, sometimes even in F.

I'll never forget making my way back up the rungs after losing all status after the birth of the iapetus jrs. I did not appreciate trying to navigate LHR as a general status member. I'm grateful that that won't ever be an issue again. As someone who flies for the government, 1K is about the best I'm ever going to get. And I definitely appreciate it (all the more so because I'm skeptical that I'll requalify this year).

OK, I will reiterate one point: I'm not sure why bmwe92fan doesn't appreciate us West Coasters! Some of us definitely were awake at 11:00pm Pacific. 😜
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by iapetus
OK, I will reiterate one point: I'm not sure why bmwe92fan doesn't appreciate us West Coasters! Some of us definitely were awake at 11:00pm Pacific. 😜
The issue is simple -- I'm a New Yorker -- and as we will all happily tell you everything revolves around NYC -- including the time zone! So if it is the middle of the night in NYC then it is everywhere!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Dyce and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The issue is simple -- I'm a New Yorker -- and as we will all happily tell you everything revolves around NYC -- including the time zone! So if it is the middle of the night in NYC then it is everywhere!
As a former NYC area resident I can confirm this mentality
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
As a former NYC area resident I can confirm this mentality
Oh, I'm well aware. It's reason #23 why I got out ... and won't be going back anytime soon.
bmwe92fan and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
As a former NYer, I can confirm that this is 100% correct.
bmwe92fan and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... and won't be going back anytime soon.
Well, maybe except for some pizza and bagels ...
SPN Lifer, Kacee and findark like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:33 pm

I cannot agree more then with those top two reasons.
iapetus and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I cannot agree more then with those top two reasons.
Or pizza and more pizza.
jsloan, iapetus, bmwe92fan and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:18 pm

When I fly to Europe I make sure to plan a long layover in EWR so that friends and pizza get their proper respects.
LaserSailor, Kacee and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:28 pm

I am just a lowly Gold (and happy with it), but another data point, I suppose.
[MENTION=123551]IAD[/MENTION] a few months ago, I had a question, I don't recall what it was. There was someone at each of the two 'Premier' counters and no one at the 'GS' counter. I thought I could ask the agent my simple question. Nope, 'I only serve GS customers'; and not pleasantly either. Of course I looked around and didn't see hordes of customers around. I thought 'wow, I'd certainly understand if it was busy, or near the late afternoon/early evening bank of international flights, but this was at 10 AM. No big deal...I survived.
nlf likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:01 pm

GS here, since the program's pre-merger inception. Sorry about the OP's experience and I hope things work out.

DUBEWR cancelled once seated on board. To my surprise, UA protected me over ZRH on LX...in First. Since my roundtrip ticket was broken, I ended up collecting more than 75K miles for my trip, considering EWRDUB in UA J and DUBZRHEWR in F. On top of everything, had my EU261 600€ within three weeks, though I was also offered a UA $1,000 cert. All I can say is GS truly goes above and beyond. Only downside was getting home 8 hours late to three unsupervised dogs (wife was traveling).

Jamie
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
..GS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1K>>>>>>> >>>>>Plat>>>>Gold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Silver>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>General
While it is true that 1K is somewhat better than the "group 1 crowd", there is no material difference between Plats and credit card holders. I fell back on Plat a few times and decided that flying UA when there are alternatives is money not wisely spent.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The "I'm a GS rep; I can only help GS members" sounds like Switzerland to me. Well, or Newark.
She may have just been a drone, sent there for that specific purpose. She probably wasn't able to process items not in her protocol.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah, support while at an intl outstation can be very poor. There have been a few times where my flight was cancelled or delayed. The people on board claim there will be a UA rep at the gate when you get off to help you but that isnt true. Sometimes there is a secret desk somewhere in the airport you are supposed to know about when they can at least get you a hotel voucher (if you're stuck over night) or rebook you.

I'm usually using a data only sim so I have rarely called the 1K line while abroad. A few times, I did arrange for a wifi call to it and I've always gotten a human within a minute or two.
I am usually left with the UA chat and have had decent success.

But to your point, there is a huge gap between GS and 1K. There's a decent gap from 1K to Plat too though. I may not know what I'm missing though
Old Apr 19, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post # 28)
I am sure that SPN Lifer would wake up immediately to help at any time zone. 😄
Sorry, this particular issue is not necessarily within my field of expertise.

I have never been a UA MileagePlus™ 1K member. My third and last trip to Europe was in 1989. And I sleep with my cell phone turned off.
UA_Flyer, Dublin_rfk and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Is this an accurate generalization? Or perhaps just the employee you were dealing with? In my travels to Switzerland and Germany, I have found the airport staff are hands down the rudest people on the planet. And totally different to the non airline Swiss and Germans.
every year the top 10% of Swiss and German CS folks voted most rude,…..are transferred to EWR so that they feel better about themselves.

JK.
uanj, SFO777, Dyce and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.