Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a 1K who has never been and will never be GS, my lived experience is that some GS agents see their role as being in service of GS only, and will not engage with others. No idea if that's a directive to them to make sure they're always available for GS, or that individuals just do as they please.

Outside of that, my experience as a 1K is generally really good. I've had phone agents do incredible things for me, on multiple occasions, and I don't believe it's only because of my accent... Is there a difference - yes, and I see it via GS friends I know, but I think what you experienced was more of an isolated case than it might appear to be.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP, sorry to hear of your experience. That is the pits.

Your experience reminded me of the fantastic service we received last year from JL during a flight delay: Flying J out of CTS on a HA codeshare, and having no status with either airline, we ended up in the JL F checkin area because I couldnt find the J area. The F desk agent happily processed us, and while doing so, noticed we would likely miss our connecting HA flight in HND due to the originating flight being delayed. She worked the phones for 20 minutes while lots of status fliers waited, and rebooked us on JL to HNL. When we landed in HND, a JL agent met us at the gate and helped us navigate our way to the bus to the correct terminal. Needless to say that JL has earned repeat business from us.

What a contrast is customer service.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post # 7)
I love this board -- but posting a call for help at 2am US EST time I would not expect much response lol.... . . . The team here at FT are the best of the best -- the top 1% -- but they also need sleep lol...
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post # 11)
of course it would have.
Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch (Post # 13)
Doesn't hurt to try
There are FlyerTalkers travelling around the world who are always awake in some time zone.

And given your own frequent and valuable contributions to this forum, I'm sure they would do their best to help.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
...today was a huge wake up call....

Two things:

1) Did you manage to complete the GS challenge after all of this?

2) I'd not have been able to help you much, had you posted at 2am EST, but I would have lent a caring ear, and likely offered some sympathetic words.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
it's Zurich -- they are what they are...
The "I'm a GS rep; I can only help GS members" sounds like Switzerland to me. Well, or Newark.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
While the experience you had was just terrible, I am wondering if UA would have been giving you a hard time regarding your GS challenge had you indeed taken the 5pm Swiss Flight and not UA via LHR.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I thought there were no dedicated GS agents anymore? Everyone gets a yellow scarf/tie?
Dyce likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I went down to Plat, I'd be realizing how much better 1K was. PPs, pre-boarding, choice of free food/booze in back, 1K phone line - losing that would not be nice.
12 year 1K now Gold as of Feb. 1. Haven't really noticed. I found 1K pretty meaningless and not missing it at all (at least not yet). Though it does mean I'm even more likely to book AA, AS, or WN.

I also completely agree with jsloan's self-service airline comment. For me, the trick with UA has always been to know exactly what you want and the path necessary to get it done. It's never been a Four Seasons VIP experience.
jsloan, tods27, nnn and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
12 year 1K now Gold as of Feb. 1. Haven't really noticed. I found 1K pretty meaningless and not missing it at all (at least not yet). Though it does mean I'm even more likely to book AA, AS, or WN.

I also completely agree with jsloan's self-service airline comment. For me, the trick with UA has always been to know exactly what you want and the path necessary to get it done. It's never been a Four Seasons VIP experience.
And neither is GS, IME!
Dyce likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:15 am

I lost GS during the pandemic and then before I started to ramp back up dropped to 1k.

GS is the only status that matters and due to that 1k status I now that my travel is back just freelance on whatever airline has the best time and product and focus on taking in chase points.

every status except GS isnt worth any effort to keep.
Markie, janehoya and zombietooth like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Could the moral of this story be. .. .. If 1 places all their eggs in a challenge to maintain status, 1 sometimes gets less than expected.
zombietooth and AJNEDC like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It does leave a somewhat bad taste in the mouth, like the FAs doing stuff like handing out mattress pads and PJs to GS first. Its almost like a deliberate ploy to let you know youre basically a piece of 💩to them.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
There are FlyerTalkers travelling around the world who are always awake in some time zone.

And given your own frequent and valuable contributions to this forum, I'm sure they would do their best to help.
The best post for advertising FT!

I am sure that SPN Lifer would wake up immediately to help at any time zone. 😄

For UA flyers, it is best to manage the expectation appropriately or lower expectation before any trip begins. OPs misery could not avoided. But EC 261 lessens the pain slightly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I went down to Plat, I'd be realizing how much better 1K was. PPs, pre-boarding, choice of free food/booze in back, 1K phone line - losing that would not be nice. Going from Gold and E+ at booking to Silver and free E+ dregs only at check-in would be horrible.
Those benefits have not impacted me after moving from 1K to Plat, at all. I have even started buying basic economy tickets - my next four trips in consecutive weeks are all BE tickets, and will have 17 flights this year in BE by mid-May.

I have intentionally slowed down on UA spend as of the 2H of last year, when I could have requalified for 1K, after observing how little UA cares about its 1K members, or any other published tier members. From non-prioritization of food orders (before preorder becoming widely implemented), to gate agents straight up not accommodating on an earlier flight with spaces, and everything in between, large and small instances of little to lack to care. I could go on, but this is not my thread.

Thanks to the OP for sharing his story/experience. I am sorry for how you had been treated, especially for an interim 1K getting back to GS pax, but I am not at all surprised anymore.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
Two things:

1) Did you manage to complete the GS challenge after all of this?
I can't imagine a $14k GS status run . . . probably why I'll top out at 1K. If I'm spending that money it's probably several trips around the world hoping to win the upgrade lottery on each flight.
jsloan, mechteach, m.y and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.