Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call...

Old May 20, 2024, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 150)
I think many still pursue traveling with status as some wierd sort of ego boost. If you are planes every week, it has value, but long haul even every month, I would free agent
It is when we project and impute motives to others that we are most likely to fall into error.

Likewise, when we insult others without knowing the myriad of factors affecting the choices other individuals make, our denigration redounds to ourselves.
cesco.g, iluv2fly, jsloan and 10 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2024 at 9:43 am Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 20, 2024, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
the number of preboarding 1Ks makes it painful for everyone
I just don't understand the concern about this (and reflected in other threads also). I'm not GS or 1K, but always Group 1. Sometimes I am in paid F, sometimes CPUed in to F, sometimes award F, and many times in E+. I've never had a time where the F bins are full when I've boarded in my group. (And the rare occasion that I'm late, the FAs will generally make space and/or use the closet.) GSers and 1Kers have earned this status and if it means that some board, no matter where they are seated, before F, so be it. We're all going to get there at the same time!
cesco.g, jsloan and 747FC like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lamphs
I just don't understand the concern about this (and reflected in other threads also). I'm not GS or 1K, but always Group 1. Sometimes I am in paid F, sometimes CPUed in to F, sometimes award F, and many times in E+. I've never had a time where the F bins are full when I've boarded in my group. (And the rare occasion that I'm late, the FAs will generally make space and/or use the closet.) GSers and 1Kers have earned this status and if it means that some board, no matter where they are seated, before F, so be it. We're all going to get there at the same time!
you live a fortunate life. While I agree that bin space is never a problem in Polaris, it definitely is a problem in narrow body aircraft. I have seen on multiple occasions people sitting in F on a 319 (or a full 737 for that matter) find that when they get to their seat that they paid for in F, there’s no overhead space left.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by halls120
you live a fortunate life. While I agree that bin space is never a problem in Polaris, it definitely is a problem in narrow body aircraft. I have seen on multiple occasions people sitting in F on a 319 (or a full 737 for that matter) find that when they get to their seat that they paid for in F, there’s no overhead space left.
Precisely. Even on day trips where I don't have a bag, I still board at GS call so that I can monitor Economy passengers that place their bags in First, and then flag to the FA. I don't consider this any different than an Economy passenger coming up mid-flight and taking a $20 from my wallet while I'm sleeping. I'm far from perfect, but I was taught not to steal.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by halls120
I have seen on multiple occasions people sitting in F on a 319 (or a full 737 for that matter) find that when they get to their seat that they paid for in F, there’s no overhead space left.
This though has nothing to do with preboarding. In those instances, regardless of sequence of boarding there would have still been 1 or more F passengers without overhead space.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It does if Premier 1K coach passengers have put their bags above the first class seats. See the post immediately above yours.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ani90
This though has nothing to do with preboarding. In those instances, regardless of sequence of boarding there would have still been 1 or more F passengers without overhead space.
Yes, it can. I've walked on to my seat in F right behind pre-boards who have put their bag in front before sitting down farther back.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ei124
As a former GS and current 1K I wholeheartedly agree the cliff between the two tiers feels very stark. Curious why you all think this is the case at UA but not necessarily at DL. Granted, I’ve never been a Medallion member at DL, but it seems like DL Diamond Medallion is considered a rarefied “top-tier” status despite D360 sitting above it (whereas I’d be hard pressed to find a single 1K who feels the same about their status).
You might not find 1Ks who feel this way about their status easily but there are hordes of Gold and Silver who look at what 1Ks DO get with some bit of envy. The facts of the matter are that customer service across all industries has fallen down since the start of the pandemic, employers across all industries have been having issues with retaining experienced staff (particularly front-facing ones), customers generally select based on price rather than ephemeral qualities, and people generally like to complain. I seem to remember a saying in the Army (or perhaps it's an apocryphal story that this was a saying) to the effect of, "it's a soldier's right to complain."

In this case, OP cited a case where it seems like a very little bit of customer service attention could have resolved his complaint BUT there is no small irony that he seems to have wanted the level of attention that goes with the very status level he had lost and was trying to regain.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
a few people here have figured out free agency with WFBF is the correct strategy , but I think many still pursue traveling with status as some wierd sort of ego boost. If you are planes every week, it has value, but long haul even every month, I would free agent
I agree in many cases (especially flights to nowhere) it's not a great choice, but what's bothered me about this thread is the universalism; people posting their opinions as if they're the unalterable word from god. Everyones' circumstances are different, and what makes sense for one person may not make sense for another.
SPN Lifer, ani90, uanj and 4 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2024 at 9:45 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 20, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
I've never had a time where the F bins are full when I've boarded in my group.
I can recall a recent flight from HNL back to the mainland where I boarded to find the overhead bin over my Polaris window pod completely full with the carry-ons from the passengers across the aisle from me (in the center seats). I don't know which category of pre-board they were in (somewhat elderly parents with middle-aged daughter) but they felt entitled to use my bins as more convenient than their own. Were the F bins completely full? No, I didn't have to go all the way back to E+ to put my things in an overhead but there are times when the F bins fill rapidly and -- in my limited experience -- pre-board passengers seem to feel more entitled to load up the bins than lower status passengers.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I can recall a recent flight from HNL back to the mainland where I boarded to find the overhead bin over my Polaris window pod completely full with the carry-ons from the passengers across the aisle from me (in the center seats). I don't know which category of pre-board they were in (somewhat elderly parents with middle-aged daughter) but they felt entitled to use my bins as more convenient than their own….
They’re not actually “your” bins. I’d be annoyed also, but they’re community bins.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: UA
I can recall a recent flight from HNL back to the mainland where I boarded to find the overhead bin over my Polaris window pod completely full with the carry-ons from the passengers across the aisle from me (in the center seats). I don't know which category of pre-board they were in (somewhat elderly parents with middle-aged daughter) but they felt entitled to use my bins as more convenient than their own. Were the F bins completely full? No, I didn't have to go all the way back to E+ to put my things in an overhead but there are times when the F bins fill rapidly and -- in my limited experience -- pre-board passengers seem to feel more entitled to load up the bins than lower status passengers.
Depending on the Polaris equipped aircraft, the window side bins can be larger than the center bins. Additionally, lots of people prefer to put their stuff in the bin across the aisle from them as its easier to keep an eye on your stuff that way.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, ikwia and 3 others like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They’re not actually “your” bins. I’d be annoyed also, but they’re community bins.
Correct. If you want your “own” bin, then fly First Class on Lufthansa where each seat has a personal locker complete with a combo lock
ironmanjt likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
pre-board passengers seem to feel more entitled to load up the bins than lower status passengers.
Or maybe late-boarders know there's less likelihood of finding space so they bring less with them, while high status people are the ones feeling entitled?
Old May 20, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by angetenar
Depending on the Polaris equipped aircraft, the window side bins can be larger than the center bins. Additionally, lots of people prefer to put their stuff in the bin across the aisle from them as its easier to keep an eye on your stuff that way.
The first 2-3 rows of center bins on the 777s are dummy bins that don't open because that's where the crew rest quarters are. So the center folks have to use the side bins.
SPN Lifer and physioprof like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.