Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 885 5 April 2024 FCO-IAD engine failure / compressor stall and emergency landing

UA 885 5 April 2024 FCO-IAD engine failure / compressor stall and emergency landing

Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Jeff767
I think things are getting over played a bit here. The aircraft departed and suffered a compressor stall. You can’t continue a ETOPS flight after a compressor stall. The engine first requires an inspection. The crew elected to return to FCO for the inspection. I see no reports the engine was shut down and you would not normally shut an engine down for a compressor stall unless you had indications of damage. The overweight landing requires an emergency declaration and you want the trucks to insure no brake overheats. There was no evacuation or expedited deplaning. FCO is heavily gate limited and they were assigned a parking pad where the aircraft was deplaned normally. Parking pad use is routine in FCO even for many scheduled flights.
This is probably the most accurate representation of the events. Pilot said the left engine was "operating at idle" so it was not shut down. I would say the flight attendants did push for an expedited deplaning and the air stairs were waiting at our pad before we even got there. It was a pretty fast deplaning of ~250 people compared to normal. All in all, probably not a huge deal -- but for passengers, hearing booms and seeing flames shooting out the back of an engine is never enjoyable! Until after the fact...then it's pretty cool.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Inevitably, though, it leads to sensationalist nonsense like this: https://www.news10.com/news/colonie-students-on-flight-home-experience-emergency-landing/

https://www.news10.com/news/colonie-students-home-from-italy-after-plane-ignites/

“I love you guys something’s wrong with the plane.”

That is one of the messages Luva Horton read first thing in the morning. She and her daughter, also named Luva, say daughter Miranda and grandson Luke were flying home from Rome when the texts grew more worrisome.

“It started shaking bad and flashing it happened in the air over the ocean they turned around.”

“We all thought we were going to die.”

The plane safely landed back in Rome nearly 30 minutes after takeoff. The kids were excited to be on the ground and getting off the plane. “We Might be jumping out the emergency exit so Luke’s excited now,” read Luva from the messages.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Jeff767
You can most certainly use reverse thrust with only one engine. It is in fact standard procedure.
I stand corrected. Thank you!
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:33 am

What's even worse is that some of it is embellished. There was zero shaking. No one was screaming -- it wasn't an uncontained engine failure. There was no wifi or cell service to even send texts from the air. Captain came on within minutes with the calmest demeanor possible stating we had an engine "hiccup", that it was operating at idle for now, and that we were returning to the field.

On a side note, the ferry back to SFO has been cancelled today.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:10 pm

As this thread is coming to its conclusion, I was hoping someone could decipher this for me so that I can have closure on my experience (lol). Besides the bird strike part.

Infinite1K and GoSh4rks like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As a result of the bird strike, the exhaust gas temp went up (probably due to compressor stall thus loss of airflow providing cooling), so as a precaution they pulled back the power, and the problem stopped, so they returned without shutting down the engine. They found a valve malfunctioned during the overtemp and a sensor was partially liberated downstream, so they replaced them.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I'm not understanding completely, but seems to indicate bleed air was 'clogged'? FOD found.
each engine is different, but ingesting FOD, clogging bleed air release, might cause a compressor stall.
EGT surging is part of the stall usually... tends to happen when fire comes out the back...
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I'm not a mechanic so don't know what the established procedures might be. It could be anything from a visual inspection to a full borescope (like a colonoscopy for a jet engine). The aircraft maintenance manual (AMM) will have the criteria for determining what actions are requirement.
Worth noting that different engine models, even on the same airframe, may have different criteria. I was chatting with a client's Director of Aircraft Operations about engine stalls a few weeks ago and they mentioned that on the DC/MD-10/-11 family of the two engines in play (want to say Pratt & Whitney vs. GE but I could be misremembering) one was much more likely to surge than the other but when it did it was essentially a nonevent with not much more than a write-up and visual inspection while the other didn't surge nearly as frequently but hen it did more often than not necessitated a full engine change.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Sounds like an engine change is in order...
Infinite1K and zeus2120 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.