Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Frustrating - elites can’t clear standby into empty biz seats- J goes empty

Frustrating - elites can’t clear standby into empty biz seats- J goes empty

Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS
Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,529
Frustrating - elites can’t clear standby into empty biz seats- J goes empty

Tried to be as descriptive but here’s what happened tonight -

UA5593 Ord - Dtw - scheduled departure 550pm, return to gate at 7:45 pm. Anti ice issues.

Several of us get on standby for UA 5785 scheduled at 9:05pm.

Long story short every elite member on the flight who was confirmed originally on 5785 gets upgraded; there’s still 4 business class seats open, but the agent says there’s no one left to upgrade. As a result, economy stays full and the flight goes out with 4 empty seats in business class, despite people with status (lowly 1k here) who were on the standby list.

My confirmed flight (5593) is currently delayed 4.5 hours. You’d think common sense would prevail and either United would have A)operationally upgraded anyone to make room for the standbys or B) let us clear directly into business.

But the rules are the rules and we’re stuck now waiting to see if we will still depart tonight.

(also side rant - for vouchers the gate agent says we have to contact the virtual agents?)

Been a while since I had a fun night like this.
nk15 likes this.
BThumme is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:42 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,962
This is so dumb, I agree...In their freaking hub and so incompetent...
nk15 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Programs: United 1K Member
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by BThumme
Tried to be as descriptive but here’s what happened tonight -

UA5593 Ord - Dtw - scheduled departure 550pm, return to gate at 7:45 pm. Anti ice issues.

Several of us get on standby for UA 5785 scheduled at 9:05pm.

Long story short every elite member on the flight who was confirmed originally on 5785 gets upgraded; there’s still 4 business class seats open, but the agent says there’s no one left to upgrade. As a result, economy stays full and the flight goes out with 4 empty seats in business class, despite people with status (lowly 1k here) who were on the standby list.

My confirmed flight (5593) is currently delayed 4.5 hours. You’d think common sense would prevail and either United would have A)operationally upgraded anyone to make room for the standbys or B) let us clear directly into business.

But the rules are the rules and we’re stuck now waiting to see if we will still depart tonight.

(also side rant - for vouchers the gate agent says we have to contact the virtual agents?)

Been a while since I had a fun night like this.
Best of luck!
UAflyerwhoflystomuch is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:09 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS
Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,529
Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch
Best of luck!

delayed to 550am. I should have cut my losses at 8pm and just grabbed a hotel then. Rookie mistake.
Boraxo, narvik, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
BThumme is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:10 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 11,496
Would a savvy agent not have the authority (and guts) to take care of this in such an IROPPS situation?
abaheti and nexus7556 like this.
cesco.g is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:19 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,962
Should have looked for award or cash flights on AA and taken the refund…

whenever this happens at ORD I try to gauge “could these idiots really not find a working plane in their hub for 5 hours”…and often ask the GA that exact question…
zombietooth and hhdl like this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:25 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS
Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,529
Originally Posted by nk15
Should have looked for award or cash flights on AA and taken the refund…

whenever this happens at ORD I try to gauge “could these idiots really not find a working plane in their hub for 5 hours”…and often ask the GA that exact question…
last AA flight is at like 830pm I think - nothing to be done at that point.


Whats even more frustrating is we returned to the gate around 630pm, but they wouldn’t let anyone off until 750pm.

Two gates down there was a 750pm flight to DTW that left with a ton of empty seats.
abaheti and nk15 like this.
BThumme is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AADULtArer
Posts: 5,957
HZ had a flight from ORD-DTW which will wait for you. Free checked unlimited luggage. About 4 hours flight time, but deliverers time to your door included
LaserSailor is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:22 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,513
upfare to J and then it should gave bene easy to clear an SBY straight into J. I would have looked at that in this situation tbh
cfischer is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:01 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DFW
Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 153
Had the exact same situation for IAH-DFW a couple weeks ago. In that situation they DID op-up 3 or 4 pax to first after the upgrade list cleared and put those of us standing by in E -- would have cleared into the front but for a 45 minute flight wasn't too fussed (though of course would have preferred clearing directly up front prior to the opups). They didn't do that because they had to assign seats first and wait until t-15 for noshows (of which there were 4), which of course makes sense so hard to argue with.
SPN Lifer and NJSwamplands like this.

Last edited by periperi; Apr 4, 2024 at 6:28 am
periperi is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:07 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,513
Originally Posted by mariol
Had the exact same situation for IAH-DFW a couple weeks ago. In that situation they DID op-up 3 or 4 pax to first after the upgrade list cleared and put those of us standing by in E -- would have cleared into the front but for a 45 minute flight wasn't too fussed (though of course would have preferred clearing directly up front prior to the opups). They didn't do that because they had to assign seats first and wait until t-15 for noshows (of which there were 14!), which of course makes sense so hard to argue with.
Nothing wrong IMO with the situation you describe
cesco.g likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DFW
Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by cfischer
Nothing wrong IMO with the situation you describe
Right - it's what they should have done for OP; just highlighting the inconsistency.
cesco.g likes this.
periperi is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:23 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 7,104
Originally Posted by mariol
Right - it's what they should have done for OP; just highlighting the inconsistency.
There is no inconsistency in this case. If there was an empty economy seat, OP would clear the standby to Y. If there was FC seat remaining at that point, OP would be upgraded to FC. There is no FC to FC standby if you have CPU’ed (Or PP supported).
Kmxu is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DFW
Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by Kmxu
There is no inconsistency in this case. If there was an empty economy seat, OP would clear the standby to Y. If there was FC seat remaining at that point, OP would be upgraded to FC. There is no FC to FC standby if you have CPU’ed (Or PP supported).
Disagree -- there were only enough empty seats for the elites on my my flight because of the op-ups -- they didn't op-up anyone for OP's flight, they did for mine (allowing elites standby to clear). Therefore I got to go when he did not. Both flights had seats available in F, upgrade list exhausted, and elites standing by. How is that NOT inconsistent?
SPN Lifer and BThumme like this.
periperi is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:05 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 127
Seems the easiest way to fix this would be to add CPU eligible revenue standby pax to the upgrade list simultaneously, just as it is done for nonrevs.

This would allow for Y to J upgrades as well as J to J if Y is full and prevent the situation the OP described.
drewguy, nexus7556 and jcturnbull like this.
WakeTurbulence is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.