Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Frustrating - elites canít clear standby into empty biz seats- J goes empty

Frustrating - elites canít clear standby into empty biz seats- J goes empty

Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I guess it depends on whether OP had a confirmed seat in F on the original flight. If they did, then there's a case of clearing into F directly. If not, then the GA was following procedures.

Also, this is where Premium Service agents in UC might have helped - they have access to more tools to bend the rules where applicable (e.g., when the IRROP would have resulted in an overnight stay).

Originally Posted by mariol
Disagree -- there were only enough empty seats for the elites on my my flight because of the op-ups -- they didn't op-up anyone for OP's flight, they did for mine (allowing elites standby to clear). Therefore I got to go when he did not. Both flights had seats available in F, upgrade list exhausted, and elites standing by. How is that NOT inconsistent?
UA standard procedures do not allow op-up just to clear standby list, unless there are other extenuating circumstances (e.g., last flight of the day), so there's more to the story on why the agent did what they did.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I heard a version of this a couple years back where the frustrated 1K offered to use instruments to sponsor upgrades for random strangers on the flight in order to open up seats for Y standby pax. I think in the version I heard, the GA politely demurred and used op-ups.

In general I suppose anyone could do this -- for a 20k mile "standby fee" you should be able to clear the top pax off the standby list (and as a side effect upgrade one random lucky pax).
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
Seems the easiest way to fix this would be to add CPU eligible revenue standby pax to the upgrade list simultaneously, just as it is done for nonrevs.

This would allow for Y to J upgrades as well as J to J if Y is full and prevent the situation the OP described.
This would be the best solution.

I understand how the OP's situation can occur based on strictly following the procedures UA has and the system it uses. But clearly there was a blind spot here with the rare instance of a not-full F cabin and full E cabin with standbys remaining. This is particularly bad in IRROPS on last flight, but could in theory happen any time.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I can understand not op-uping people just to clear someone who decided to take a different flight, but in the OPs case, there was mechanical IRROPs. You would think someone, somewhere would've said "we need to get some of these people moved to this flight with empty seats so we have less passengers complaining about being delayed by mechanical." Yes, rules are rules, but someone at ORD should've had the ability to say this is a situation where we need to bend them to take care of our passengers.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, drewguy and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by wrp96
I can understand not op-uping people just to clear someone who decided to take a different flight, but in the OPs case, there was mechanical IRROPs. You would think someone, somewhere would've said "we need to get some of these people moved to this flight with empty seats so we have less passengers complaining about being delayed by mechanical." Yes, rules are rules, but someone at ORD should've had the ability to say this is a situation where we need to bend them to take care of our passengers.
And as another upside, breathes new life into the 'Sheenanigans' thread...
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by wrp96
This is the type of stuff that really bugs the crap outa me. A 1K during irrops cannot get into an empty seat going where they need to go.
This is also why I scoff every time United promises as a 1k they "have my back". It's just a lie.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume if the flight had been cancelled they would have had more flexibility, but really a severe delay should have had the same outcome.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I fully agree that there should be a difference between someone voluntarily standing by (e.g., to get home earlier) vs someone involuntarily standing by (due to a delay or cancellation). AA at least has this distinction in their standby list so that agents can see who is voluntary vs involuntary (and the latter are listed higher than the former)--I don't know whether they empower GAs to make these kinds of op-ups and policy exceptions to accommodate involuntary standbys though.

Does UA even distinguish between voluntary and involuntary standbys on the back end?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
HZ had a flight from ORD-DTW which will wait for you. Free checked unlimited luggage. About 4 hours flight time, but deliverers time to your door included
Not sure I understand... are you saying drive hertz? I might be missing the /s or

But agree driving would be an option.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:15 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
That is indeed ridiculous. By comparison, AA does not have this policy. I have even gotten an F seat in this exact same scenario on AA.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
To be clear I was ticketed in economy, not business. I could not buy up to J even if I wanted because tickets aren't sold that close to departure (I think someone else said they tried).

The idea to clear a stranger into business would have been very creative, I don't think I would have done that, but on paper that would have worked.

In the end, United had to end up paying for my (whatever negotiated rate they have) hotel and $40 of meal vouchers for me since we ended up delayed 12+ hours overnight.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
UA standard procedures do not allow op-up just to clear standby list, unless there are other extenuating circumstances (e.g., last flight of the day), so there's more to the story on why the agent did what they did.
My original flight 5593 was delayed to 1015pm at that point, followed by more rolling delays until it jumped to 630am this morning - so even though it was already at 5 hours delayed, it was still scheduled to go out last night. Some people even got rolled over on the standby list to our delayed flight. Agent just kept saying system won't let him do it.

Last edited by BThumme; Apr 4, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Out of curiosity, did you call the 1K desk and ask them to upgrade you? I believe they can do that even after the flight is under airport control, but I might be wrong.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an economy ticket and standby there has to be space in economy for you to clear into first then an upgrade can happen. I also see our point of why don't they op up some economy people already on the flight to make room for standbys. In my 30 years of flying never heard of an airline doing that, especially if they are trying to get the flight closed.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:20 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would a savvy agent not have the authority (and guts) to take care of this in such an IROPPS situation?
I have been the beneficiary of savvy agents on at least two occasions -- once I was cleared "directly" into J (though IIRC the agent had to call the support desk to first get the ability to overbook Y, then once I was in Y resolved the overbooking by clearing me to J). The other time the agent opuped/CPUed someone to create the space in Y, put me in it then moved me up to the forward cabin a few minutes later.

Being nice and polite helps make miracles happen

(But I've also been the victim of a ham-fisted agent who despite there being open F inventory and me holding a F fare somehow managed to list me for Y SB, cleared me into Y and closed the flight as-was)
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
In irrops during the last 12 months, I had agents telling me they couldn't put me on one of the last flights available because the only seats were in F, and I was booked in Y. Super annoying given there were seats... I got the same line, that all upgrades had cleared, and no Y was left. (I ended up doing a reroute, then immediately cleaning into the last F seat, on a different flight that got in 45 minutes later; seems like they could have just cleared me into F to begin with on the original flights...).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.