Severe Turbulence UA 1428 and 480

Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJFlyer1
I was on 1428 this morning. Crew was in jump seats for the first half of the flight, Captain/FO were clear that the first hour would be rough. They weren't lying!

It was moderately bumpy for that time, with one very heavy jolt after about ~45 minutes in. People were screaming. I had the vomit bag in hand for the first 30 minutes, eventually ran to the restroom during a calm moment and ended up bracing myself in there for the worst of it, rather than subjecting the cabin to a steamy vomit bag. I'd guess I moved up and down two feet for that one jolt.

Credit to the crew- they were super responsive once it cleared. They rushed a beverage service that was greatly appreciated, and they even asked me if I was feeling better or needed anything else (was handed a can of ginger ale without even asking).

For all of my flying, I've never experienced anything like that. The cabin was as quiet as a red eye.
Thanks for this. Glad you were ok in the end.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Worst flight for turbulence for me was a United prop job (it was years ago) from Buffalo, NY to EWR during winter.
I'd say it was SEVERE+.
FA was tossed around a bit initially, but then managed to get herself seated. Stuff was flying around the cabin at first, but everything ended up being secured by passengers, once it was able to be reached/grabbed as it flew past them.

Just before final into EWR, pilot came on to say we couldn't land at EWR, and that we'd use Albany, NY as the alternative.
Just before Albany, NY pilot came on and said Albany, NY was now also closed, so we'd look for another place to land. We headed north for Rochester, NY.
Some 2 hours (?) after taking off from Buffalo, NY, we landed in Rochester, NY which is only ~70 miles away from Buffalo, NY!

I rented a car the next day for a one-way drive home (in Pennsylvania.)

Have to say this though: despite the tiny puddle jumper, the super crappy weather, and flying the 'scenic route'; it's amazing what a plane can handle, and I was very appreciative of the professional UAX crew to have gotten us down safely.
wrp96, NJSwamplands and nexus7556 like this.

Last edited by narvik; Apr 3, 2024 at 6:15 pm Reason: (or was it Continental? Can't remember now...)
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:06 pm

Currently on a United flight that just started to cross the Atlantic, we had a whole solid hour after take off with light to moderate turbulence.

Then this morning I flew from Florida to DC on an CRJ with AA and it was very bumpy for 20 mins of the flight, for a total flight time of 1.5h. I guess I chose the best day to fly today
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:25 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by narvik
Worst flight for turbulence for me was a United prop job (it was years ago) from Buffalo, NY to EWR during winter.
I'd say it was SEVERE+.
FA was tossed around a bit initially, but then managed to get herself seated. Stuff was flying around the cabin at first, but everything ended up being secured by passengers, once it was able to be reached/grabbed as it flew past them.

Just before final into EWR, pilot came on to say we couldn't land at EWR, and that we'd use Albany, NY as the alternative.
Just before Albany, NY pilot came on and said Albany, NY was now also closed, so we'd look for another place to land. We headed north for Rochester, NY.
Some 2 hours (?) after taking off from Buffalo, NY, we landed in Rochester, NY which is only ~70 miles away from Buffalo, NY!

I rented a car the next day for a one-way drive home (in Pennsylvania.)

Have to say this though: despite the tiny puddle jumper, the super crappy weather, and flying the 'scenic route'; it's amazing what a plane can handle, and I was very appreciative of the professional UAX crew to have gotten us down safely.
probably the Commut Air fleet that flew Beech 1900s. I flew that heavily in the 1990s ROC and ALB often had scary turbulence

Was it two row on window seats and one unluck guy in Seat 9C ?
narvik likes this.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Apr 4, 2024 at 8:34 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Been a long time since I have experienced turbulence that would be defined as extreme, much of it when I was younger. The OP seems to be inquiring as to whether it is route-specific, and the answer is - not at all! I have flown EWR-BNA many a time and have never experienced any turbulence on the route. Just a function of weather patterns. The East Coast is getting battered by a system that has been moving across the country since the end of the weekend, which likely explains EWR-BNA. Not sure what SAT-DEN was about, but either way - unless you are a better predictor of weather than the professionally-trained folks who have worse batting averages than the best baseball hitters, that would not factor into my considerations of booking a particular route at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.