April Fools FT posts

Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
April Fools FT posts

To you experts on searching for old posts (not me).

There used to be a tradition on FT of someone posting an outrageously fake United post on April 1st. It's been some years, but if we're not going to get a new one this year, can someone track down links to some of the greatest hits from previous April 1st postings?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
To you experts on searching for old posts (not me).

There used to be a tradition on FT of someone posting an outrageously fake United post on April 1st. It's been some years, but if we're not going to get a new one this year, can someone track down links to some of the greatest hits from previous April 1st postings?
None of them were "great", in fact they were not particularly funny (glenn tilton retiring, ted getting bigger/smaller, 380 orders. It is something I am glad lost traction.

IIRC, they were typically closed/deleted. So not sure if they are even archived.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
None of them were "great", in fact they were not particularly funny (glenn tilton retiring, ted getting bigger/smaller, 380 orders. It is something I am glad lost traction.

IIRC, they were typically closed/deleted. So not sure if they are even archived.
Challenge accepted.
drgreg likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:15 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
United just announced that any plane maintained at SFO would be grounded for today only.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA buying 100 A380neo to revive TED!
Kannai, pseudoswede and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
United Airlines Flight Turns Back Over Toilet Trouble (newsweek.com)

More misery was heaped on to an embattled U.S. airline last week when a plane toilet overflowed and sewage trickled into the cabin, according to a German newspaper.
This must be this year's hoax, everybody knows that UA wouldn't care about sewage filling the cabin...
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
*1 April 2024 **United to Become First Airline to Fly Nonstop Between US and Thailand
chavala and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mduell
UA buying 100 A380neo to revive TED!
rar!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

I understand this perspective completely -- and yes the threads do get locked. One of the things I love about the FT community is some of the fun posts like these -- just makes it more human to me instead of a bunch of handles complaining about UA food / planes / delays / FA's / .....

To each their own -- I for one enjoy some levity here!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I understand this perspective completely -- and yes the threads do get locked. One of the things I love about the FT community is some of the fun posts like these -- just makes it more human to me instead of a bunch of handles complaining about UA food / planes / delays / FA's / .....

To each their own -- I for one enjoy some levity here!
I respect the FT rules, but it would be nice to have some funs and have good laughs once a while.

Like you, I feel FT topics have become too negative despite the excellent work done by the moderators.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2024 at 3:37 pm Reason: Comments on moderation should directed privately to moderators
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I respect the FT rules, but it would be nice to have some funs and have good laughs once a while.

Like you, I feel FT topics have become too negative despite the excellent work done by the moderators.
I was about to go in and "update" your release with some more "obvious" humor ... I was going to speak about all new catering (based in Thailand) and mid-air refueling for the EWR flight and a special airspace transit permit from Putin issued to Kirby after agreeing to fly direct to Moscow to allow for the resumption of China flights -- just too darn slow!
SPN Lifer and UA_Flyer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2024 at 3:56 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect moderator edit
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why closed and /or lock April Fool's threads?

April Fools is not a worldwide universal tradition and some have believed the thread either due to unfamiliarity with the practice, limited English skills or coming across the thread at a later date. Some have called airlines / hotels / ... and demanded the subject of the thread and have been embarrassed to learn they have been tricked. And then come after FT / Moderators for allowing false information.

Personally I enjoy the creative writing of some (not all) but as moderator we have a duty to address deliberate misinformation. Humor can be very subtle (as is sarcasm also) and writers need to realize there are a couple thousand readers of the forum daily, many of different backgrounds and the attempt can be missed by many.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2024 at 4:10 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 12)
April Fools is not a worldwide universal tradition and some have believed the thread either due to unfamiliarity with the practice, limited English skills or coming across the thread at a later date. Some have called airlines / hotels / ... and demanded the subject of the thread and have been embarrassed to learn they have been tricked. And then come after FT / Moderators for allowing false information.
Indeed, some April Fools' jokes are likely to go "over the heads" of the FlyerTalk (FT) international readership.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

United Airlines Boeing 777 flight to SFO diverted after toilet overflows into cabin

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/united-flight-to-sf-diverted-toilet-overflows-19379239.php

😛

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.