Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
No. You’ll get the original number of PQFs.
I ended up getting an extra PQF for UA3039 today. I also got 12 PQP somehow, which is probably the lowest PQP ever earned for a J-class ‘fare’ on UA metal
kirkwoodj and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I ended up getting an extra PQF for UA3039 today. I also got 12 PQP somehow, which is probably the lowest PQP ever earned for a J-class ‘fare’ on UA metal
Yes, if you get a new flight number and/or overnight, it will posts as seperate flights and not the original segment.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dyce
So no talking about the multiple United mechanical issues on Flyertalk? Another one today. But let's ignore until someone dies?

Flight 2152 Houston to Fort Lauderdale returned back to Houston after a 'loose cabin door handle' shortly after take off...
If you are so concerned about UA’s safety, you don’t have to fly them. There are alternatives, right?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmatessa
yes I was on this flight! First the flight was delayed by an hour due to a fuel pressure light not working. Maintenance came on and fixed it supposedly. Then when we were about 4/5 hours away from Hawaii one of the fuel pumps went out and we had to divert our flight to land in San Francisco. We then switched flights to a 4 pm flight UA3023
Thanks for your feedback and welcome to FT, emmatessa!
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by emmatessa
yes I was on this flight! First the flight was delayed by an hour due to a fuel pressure light not working. Maintenance came on and fixed it supposedly. Then when we were about 4/5 hours away from Hawaii one of the fuel pumps went out and we had to divert our flight to land in San Francisco. We then switched flights to a 4 pm flight UA3023
Thanks for the report. So UA sub'd in a 753 (from a 764), seating wise okay, but those in business and premium economy seats got downgraded. Would argue even economy pax got downgraded in terms of seating experience, but at least everyone got in safely.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by halls120
If you are so concerned about UA’s safety, you don’t have to fly them. There are alternatives, right?
Not exactly a mature argument. We need to be made aware of, and understand the nature of, these multiple in-flight mechanical issues that are occurring with increasing regularity.

If this isn't an issue then why are the FAA looking into it? Blindly ignoring this won't make it go away. Neither will telling someone to fly another airline.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Not exactly a mature argument. We need to be made aware of, and understand the nature of, these multiple in-flight mechanical issues that are occurring with increasing regularity.

If this isn't an issue then why are the FAA looking into it? Blindly ignoring this won't make it go away. Neither will telling someone to fly another airline.
Not trying to be harsh, but as a profession, I am involved with NDT of aerospace materials, measurements, and such

I probably know about 3% of what goes on in aerospace with regards to the operational safety model , which probably means I actually know 0.3% because I have multiple degrees from Dunning Kruger University,

Being made aware of mechanical difficulties is easy, understanding the scope and relevance is not. More posts on social media does not mean increasing regularity.
SPN Lifer and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by trebex
This may be a silly question, but the plane due to fly this route today is 32 years old. Do you feel safe on such an old plane?
The metal in the frame is billions of years old. The Alaska MAX9 was a few months old. Age isn’t the issue.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

Zero evidence that this is the case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Zero evidence that this is the case.
just coincidence the FAA are getting involved then?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
But, to be fair , the critical parts of these missions are one way. Maybe we should insist on new airframes for round trip flights?
None of the crewmembers I knew of any of the aforementioned aircraft (B-52s, KC-135s, etc.) thought of any of their missions as "one way". It would take an extremely important mission to plan on the airframe (much less the crew) being expendable. Sometimes you have to take risks in the military but you don't PLAN on one-way missions except in cases like the Doolittle Raid.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
None of the crewmembers I knew of any of the aforementioned aircraft (B-52s, KC-135s, etc.) thought of any of their missions as "one way". It would take an extremely important mission to plan on the airframe (much less the crew) being expendable. Sometimes you have to take risks in the military but you don't PLAN on one-way missions except in cases like the Doolittle Raid.
i think you flew into the sar-chasm…

Tom Leherer - " so long Mom, Im off to drop the bomb, so dont wait up for me....."

Last edited by LaserSailor; Apr 2, 2024 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 52)
[ A]s a profession, I am involved with NDT of aerospace materials, measurements, and such

I probably know about 3% of what goes on in aerospace with regards to the operational safety model , which probably means I actually know 0.3% because I have multiple degrees from Dunning Kruger University.
NDT = Nondestructive testing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondestructive_testing

Quote:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. It was first described by Justin Kruger and David Dunning in 1999.
​​​​​ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunn...3Kruger_effect

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 1, 2024 at 6:18 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never said safety wasn’t an issue. I fly UA precisely because I believe they are a very safe airline. I simply disagree with those who believe it isn’t safe to fly on UA.

That said, if someone is concerned that UA isn’t a safe option for their travel plans, why is it wrong to suggest they consider alternatives?
LarryJ and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by halls120; Apr 1, 2024 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Somehow the amount of PQP and RDM got revised higher after the fact, based on a multiple that doesn't appear achievable based on UA's chart math. Either it's an April Fool's Day joke, or I'll simply whistle innocently while walking by...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.