Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yesterday's UA363 track

Given the weather in the California area this weekend, going around the area would be would be a more normal choice. The bumps and jags as the plane approached SFO were likely weather related.
I think you are mistaken about my post. I had never alluded to the SFO approach but the initial diversion point out of Montana with a sharp southwest dip. See screenshot I had posted.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My luck…UA362 likely getting diverted to LAX to drop off a passenger that has a medical issue. They asked halfway across the Pacific if any doctors were onboard so I suppose they just made the call to push on to the West Coast instead of turning around. I only noticed because the in-flight map is now showing LAX as our destination. The FA I spoke to said they are hoping that they can just get the impacted passenger off and then get us back in the air. Will be an issue if crew times out given UA does not fly 764s to LAX, ever…

ETA: captain just officially announced it, but UA app not showing it yet.

Random question: do you get an extra PQF for diversions?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I think you are mistaken about my post. I had never alluded to the SFO approach but the initial diversion point out of Montana with a sharp southwest dip. See screenshot I had posted.
Th thought I was supporting your post, the prior day flight track showed the turn in Montana was not normal

The SFO approach comment was to provide more insight in that part of the flight path raised by the other poster think that was the diversion point.

Guess I needed to make it clearer.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
. . .

No. You’ll get the original number of PQFs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Makes sense.

Plane has landed at LAX and captain said we will know in next 30 minutes ‘how we are getting to Newark’. Does not bode well for being able to fly this bird out tonight. Surprised they cannot do it on the same plane because there is only a little more than 1 hour differential right now on the estimated time of arrival - which I would think would be well within the window of not timing out should there be a delay on the original schedule.

ETA: also a bad sign that when I click ‘track my bags’, the app says it cannot provide info but the bags will make it to EWR. Good grief.
ContinentalFan and mogi67 like this.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Mar 31, 2024 at 1:13 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Makes sense.

Plane has landed at LAX and captain said we will know in next 30 minutes ‘how we are getting to Newark’. Does not bode well for being able to fly this bird out tonight. Surprised they cannot do it on the same plane because there is only a little more than 1 hour differential right now on the estimated time of arrival - which I would think would be well within the window of not timing out should there be a delay on the original schedule.

ETA: also a bad sign that when I click ‘track my bags’, the app says it cannot provide info but the bags will make it to EWR. Good grief.
I’d check the app for all flights to EWR. They may create a new flight with a strange number before alerting you.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:15 am

I’d check the app for all flights to EWR. They may create a new flight with a strange number before alerting you.
Indeed it was, UA3039. The reason for canceling tonight was crew timeout. UA should have not strung us along for nearly 1.5 hours before telling us the plane was scotched - clearly there were other issues than an ill passenger that they did not tell us about. Really shoddy work, and very tone-deaf of the FA to cheerily tell us ‘Welcome to Los Angeles!’. Literally nobody in the plane wants to be here right now.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
but you should get extra segments towards the 400 you will need next year for 1k

ok, I just made that up,
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:41 am

My luck…UA362 likely getting diverted to LAX to drop off a passenger that has a medical issue. They asked halfway across the Pacific if any doctors were onboard so I suppose they just made the call to push on to the West Coast instead of turning around. I only noticed because the in-flight map is now showing LAX as our destination. The FA I spoke to said they are hoping that they can just get the impacted passenger off and then get us back in the air. Will be an issue if crew times out given UA does not fly 764s to LAX, ever…

ETA: captain just officially announced it, but UA app not showing it yet.

They did not divert back to HNL because you look for the nearest divert airport based on time. With the usual 100 knot tailwinds coming from HNL the equal time point on the flight is significantly prior to the equal distance point.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:46 am
Original Poster

This may be a silly question, but the plane due to fly this route today is 32 years old. Do you feel safe on such an old plane?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:47 am

Indeed it was, UA3039. The reason for canceling tonight was crew timeout. UA should have not strung us along for nearly 1.5 hours before telling us the plane was scotched - clearly there were other issues than an ill passenger that they did not tell us about. Really shoddy work, and very tone-deaf of the FA to cheerily tell us ‘Welcome to Los Angeles!’. Literally nobody in the plane wants to be here right now.
They were probably trying to source a crew. The fact it’s not a crew base does not mean they can’t get crew members. They will look for crew members to reroute on layovers or pilots who live in the local area but commute to other bases. They may have also looked at the option of an equipment swap and new crew.
edit:UAL unlike Delta keeps crews qualed on all 767 variants so they would not have needed a 400 specific crew.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Jeff767
They were probably trying to source a crew. The fact it’s not a crew base does not mean they can’t get crew members. They will look for crew members to reroute on layovers or pilots who live in the local area but commute to other bases. They may have also looked at the option of an equipment swap and new crew.
edit:UAL unlike Delta keeps crews qualed on all 767 variants so they would not have needed a 400 specific crew.
We landed at LAX at 11:30pm at night. Even before we had touched down, my first comment to my wife after I learned of the diversion was that I hoped we could simply get back in the air because UA would never find other pilots in time given that UA never flies 764s to LAX. Unsurprisingly that was accurate. It might be time for UA to consider flying 777s or 787s to HNL ex-East Coast in the future to avoid these kinds of situations…getting stuck on a 767 on the West Coast is just asking for trouble. I also see that today’s UA363 is now on a high-density J 763. Lucky for those passengers, but imagine what happens if that plane breaks for whatever reason before getting back to EWR…
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by trebex
This may be a silly question, but the plane due to fly this route today is 32 years old. Do you feel safe on such an old plane?
I've flown on older planes than that and felt safe. USAF still flies planes built in the 50s

Last edited by mogi67; Mar 31, 2024 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We landed at LAX at 11:30pm at night. Even before we had touched down, my first comment to my wife after I learned of the diversion was that I hoped we could simply get back in the air because UA would never find other pilots in time given that UA never flies 764s to LAX.
All United 757/767 pilots are qualified to fly all United 757/767 aircraft.

The problem is finding a crew, on short notice, at that time of night. Reserves normally have a ~13hr call-out time. Some are upgraded to short-call 2-1/2hr call-out but those are timed to cover the anticipated flight schedule as they have to be released to rest after the short-call period. Other than that, they'll try calling non-reserve pilots, in seniority order, offering the flying as a senior man opportunity (extra pay) but if you've been up all day you aren't going to accept an assignment with a short report time to fly all night. Wouldn't be safe. That process takes some time as you have to go through the list in seniority order and give them a few minutes to return the call. That's why answers aren't immediately available.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:14 am

That is a fair point that in my sleep deprived state I forgot about - that 757 and 767 pilots are rated for both. However, I still do not see why the pilots could not drop off the passenger who needed to get off and simply get back on our way. That is why it strikes me that there were other issues outstanding. A 1-hour delay versus the originally scheduled arrival - which is what showed when we landed at LAX - does not seem like it should warrant a full crew timeout.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.