A message on safety from CEO Scott Kirby

Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G
A message on safety from CEO Scott Kirby

I'm assuming everyone else also got this e-mail just now:

"Dear Smiley90,

Of all the things that make me proud of our team at United Airlines, I'm most proud of the culture we've built around the safety of our employees and our customers.

Safety is our highest priority and is at the center of everything we do.

Unfortunately, in the past few weeks, our airline has experienced a number of incidents that are reminders of the importance of safety. While they are all unrelated, I want you to know that these incidents have our attention and have sharpened our focus.

Our team is reviewing the details of each case to understand what happened and using those insights to inform our safety training and procedures across all employee groups. This is in addition to some changes that were already planned, including an extra day of in-person training for all pilots starting in May and a centralized training curriculum for our new-hire maintenance technicians. We're also dedicating more resources to supplier network management.

We empower our team to speak up and raise their hand if they see something wrong. You can be confident that every time a United plane pulls away from the gate, everyone on our team is working together to keep you safe on your trip.

In the past few years, we've done a lot at United to build a new culture, improve our business and earn your trust. I'm confident that we'll learn the right lessons from these recent incidents and continue to run an operation that puts safety first and makes our employees and customers proud.

Thank you for flying United, and I hope to see you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Scott Kirby
CEO
United Airlines

"
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Smiley90

"Dear Smiley90,

Of all the things that make me proud of our team at United Airlines, I'm most proud of the culture we've built around the safety of our employees and our customers.

Unfortunately, in the past few weeks, our airline has experienced a number of incidents that are reminders of the importance of safety. While they are all unrelated, I want you to know that these incidents have our attention and have sharpened our focus.

Our team is reviewing the details of each case to understand what happened and using those insights to inform our safety training and procedures across all employee groups. This is in addition to some changes that were already planned, including an extra day of in-person training for all pilots starting in May and a centralized training curriculum for our new-hire maintenance technicians. We're also dedicating more resources to supplier network management.

We empower our team to speak up and raise their hand if they see something wrong. You can be confident that every time a United plane pulls away from the gate, everyone on our team is working together to keep you safe on your trip.

In the past few years, we've done a lot at United to build a new culture, improve our business and earn your trust. I'm confident that we'll learn the right lessons from these recent incidents and continue to run an operation that puts safety first and makes our employees and customers proud.

Sincerely,

Scott Kirby
CEO
United Airlines

"
Yes, there was a warning posted on LinkedIn!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I haven't received the email yet, but saw it tagged on my LinkedIn feed. I was surprised, frankly. Seems like these recent issues are more of a PR concern and less of any actual material difference in ongoing safety. I guess the strategists have calculated that a letter from the CEO at this time will help?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I haven't received the email yet, but saw it tagged on my LinkedIn feed. I was surprised, frankly. Seems like these recent issues are more of a PR concern and less of any actual material difference in ongoing safety. I guess the strategists have calculated that a letter from the CEO at this time will help?
Apparently targeted? Also haven't received that email.
IMissThe747 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
This is in addition to some changes that were already planned, including an extra day of in-person training for all pilots starting in May...
What's that about?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Always appreciate these statements from a CEO in the airline industry.

This one was from March 2019
Boeing CEO Shares Open Letter...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Smiley90

"Dear Smiley90,

Sincerely,

Scott Kirby
CEO
United Airlines

"
I didn't get it - maybe they know I am not bothered by hype and sensation!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not that one has to do with the other, but I'm just curious: when does the UA mechanics contract expire?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
What's that about?
maybe the one that went off the taxiway in Houston.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
maybe the one that went off the taxiway in Houston.
Ah, forgot about that one.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I got it about an hour ago. Most likely going to everyone, though will take some time to cycle through
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
A lot of talk but nothing will ever change. Im amazed it took this long before a statement was released.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Doubtful -- in the past it has taken at least 12 hours, sometime 24 to get out. If UA floods the network too hard (100M MP members alone), they can get block in some quarters of the internet.
Even still you may not receive the message if your provider / employer blocks it for spam. UA can provide a heads up to some network providers of such a mass email.

Suspect this is as much about provide reassurance to the passenger as get some time on the airways as counter programming to the previous incidents negative reports. Release early in the week to get that and not at the week of the week (do that to bury it).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2024 at 1:28 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... 100M MP members alone...
My apologies for the aside, but do you know where I can verify that number? I saw it mentioned elsewhere, and I find myself skeptical. I'd love to know one way or another.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Mrs MysteryTour (1K 2MM with same last name as me, but different email provider) got the email, but I've yet to receive it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.