Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:45 am
  #61  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Posts: 2,285
Just to be clear: I don't have a problem with airline crew going to the front of the TSA line or going in a special TSA line. There is clearly an official provision for that. It is not at all clear on the shuttle bus.

What's next: FAs get to go to the front of the line at the airport restaurants? The airport bathrooms? The hotel shuttle? I mean, after all, they're on block time, and they're not getting paid for it...
porciuscato is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:23 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Latin America and USA
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Posts: 463
My family and I were on a ex-YVR AC-UA itinerary. Mrs. IMissthe747 and I were juggling two small children and the related infrastructure through the YVR security line when an AC crew of 3 cut *in-between* my wife and I and put their bags in the midst of our things. Kudos to the security agent who bawled the crew out and sent them back behind us. I understand the crew was in a rush... but jumping in the middle of a family was a new low. Thankfully we had a different (and wonderful) crew on our flight.

So, kudos to the UA crew at EWR for at least not wedging themselves into the middle of a family in the queue.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
IMissThe747 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:39 am
  #63  
m.y
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,194
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just to be clear: I don't have a problem with airline crew going to the front of the TSA line or going in a special TSA line. There is clearly an official provision for that. It is not at all clear on the shuttle bus.

What's next: FAs get to go to the front of the line at the airport restaurants? The airport bathrooms? The hotel shuttle? I mean, after all, they're on block time, and they're not getting paid for it...
I introduce you the slippery slope fallacy.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
m.y is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:26 am
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Posts: 10,846
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
My family and I were on a ex-YVR AC-UA itinerary. Mrs. IMissthe747 and I were juggling two small children and the related infrastructure through the YVR security line when an AC crew of 3 cut *in-between* my wife and I and put their bags in the midst of our things. Kudos to the security agent who bawled the crew out and sent them back behind us. I understand the crew was in a rush... but jumping in the middle of a family was a new low. Thankfully we had a different (and wonderful) crew on our flight.

So, kudos to the UA crew at EWR for at least not wedging themselves into the middle of a family in the queue.
Hence why every airport should have special lane/area/process for crew/airport personnel.

If anyone has a problem with crew "cutting" lines, then they have no place to complain about their flight is late due to late crew. I was at FLL this past weekend, and the flight was running late because the crew was stuck at security.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:40 am
  #65  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/UA
Posts: 10,921
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just to be clear: I don't have a problem with airline crew going to the front of the TSA line or going in a special TSA line. There is clearly an official provision for that. It is not at all clear on the shuttle bus.

What's next: FAs get to go to the front of the line at the airport restaurants? The airport bathrooms? The hotel shuttle? I mean, after all, they're on block time, and they're not getting paid for it...
I've been denied boarding a hotel shuttle because the crew wants it all to themselves.

Kevin AA is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:43 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: KUSA
Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I've been denied boarding a hotel shuttle because the crew wants it all to themselves.

I have had that happen as well... where a couple hotels shared a shuttle, and a crew was on board going to a different hotel, and claimed their contract with the hotel gave them immediate private non-stop transportation. Left me on the curb for 20 minutes while they went and dropped the crew off, then came back, just to pick me up and take me across the parking lot from the crew hotel. I've seen and dealt with a number of crew hotel contracts... at least at carriers where I've worked, if it uses the hotel's normal shuttle there isn't a provision anywhere domestically (there are international, sometimes for security reasons), that they must have the whole shuttle to themselves. It may state they can't sit around waiting for passengers (though I've certainly had to sit in a shuttle waiting 10-15 minutes for a crew before they could leave for the hotel... the crew off the plane I just arrived on).
JAXPax is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:13 am
  #67  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,995
It would at least be nice if the crew would say "Excuse me" when cutting in line. I have rarely heard that.
Kevin AA likes this.
iluv2fly is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:10 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 8,304
There are times where we have contracted transportation even though the hotel may also have an airport shuttle. Sometimes the hotel will run extra shuttles, to meet our time requirements, that do not coincide with their regular shuttle schedule. We have no right to kick off other guests from the hotel's normally scheduled shuttle service.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:24 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 857
True Story

When Ronnie Reagan died, he had to wait on line to go thru the pearly gates. A few minutes later a uniformed pilot goes to the front of the line & gets right in. Ronnie goes to the front & politely says you let that pilot cut to the front of the line yet i have to wait with everyone else?, to which the gatekeeper replied that wasnt a pilot, that was god, he just thinks hes a pilot
uanj, goodeats21, narvik and 2 others like this.
featheroleather is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:57 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
If they were transferring terminals then their arrival and hence transfer time was likely outside their control and delaying them will delay everyone else on their flight.
That is fair. And I'll acknowledge that I was replying in the context of being annoyed by crews that cut the post ID TSA line (i.e., the ones that push past you with their 15 bags as you're putting your suitcase on the belt).
goodeats21 likes this.
lilpisher is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:22 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 3,088
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Having personally dealt with non-US carrier crew clearing security.... because they have a non-US issued crew ID, and don't have Known Crew Member (or in the TSA database), they require an escort from the airline or a representative of the airline basically affirming they are the working crew for a flight. So yes, it's a pain, and I used to cringe when I'd bring a crew of 18 or something to the front of the line, but it ties up an airline employee (as the manager, I'd do it to avoid pulling an agent off my ticket counter for a half hour during the peak of check in), but bringing them through together as a group is sort of the procedure.
I have always been impressed by UA crew in SYD who go to the front of the security line but then alternate every other one with regular passengers. Small but thoughtful gesture. If they risked making the flight late I would expect them all to go through first.

I have certainly seen crew barging to the front of a security line with no apology or excuse me's, particularly in Europe and the Middle East. I know it's their right, but a smile and spoken excuse me would go a long way.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just to be clear: I don't have a problem with airline crew going to the front of the TSA line or going in a special TSA line. There is clearly an official provision for that. It is not at all clear on the shuttle bus.

What's next: FAs get to go to the front of the line at the airport restaurants? The airport bathrooms? The hotel shuttle? I mean, after all, they're on block time, and they're not getting paid for it...
Oh come on, let's not be silly. EWR does not bring out the best in anybody. If there is no special transport between terminals at EWR then they could have two lines at the waiting area, one for passengers and the other for airline and airport workers who need to take the shuttle. But we are talking about a facility run by the Port Authority, they would never do something as logical as this.

Originally Posted by JAXPax
I have had that happen as well... where a couple hotels shared a shuttle, and a crew was on board going to a different hotel, and claimed their contract with the hotel gave them immediate private non-stop transportation. Left me on the curb for 20 minutes while they went and dropped the crew off, then came back, just to pick me up and take me across the parking lot from the crew hotel. I've seen and dealt with a number of crew hotel contracts... at least at carriers where I've worked, if it uses the hotel's normal shuttle there isn't a provision anywhere domestically (there are international, sometimes for security reasons), that they must have the whole shuttle to themselves. It may state they can't sit around waiting for passengers (though I've certainly had to sit in a shuttle waiting 10-15 minutes for a crew before they could leave for the hotel... the crew off the plane I just arrived on).
Last week when I queued for the hotel shuttle to go to LAX in the morning I was towards the front of the line. A car had stopped at the entrance and the driver went off somewhere so the shuttle bus driver could not get to the front door. The shuttle was then closer to the end of the queue and, guess what, the back of the line immediately boarded and some of us who had been waiting the longest could not get on the bus,

I've been on a fair amount of hotel shuttles in my life and find that in general crew make the best fellow shuttle passengers. Regular airline passengers, not so much.

Originally Posted by featheroleather
When Ronnie Reagan died, he had to wait on line to go thru the pearly gates. A few minutes later a uniformed pilot goes to the front of the line & gets right in. Ronnie goes to the front & politely says you let that pilot cut to the front of the line yet i have to wait with everyone else?, to which the gatekeeper replied that wasnt a pilot, that was god, he just thinks hes a pilot
Sounds like you know a few commercial pilots! Thanks for the laugh!
SPN Lifer likes this.
uanj is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:30 pm
  #72  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Posts: 12,159
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
The pay explanation is not persuasive. The block time method for computing salary is just the algorithm used. For example, an adjunct lecturer at a university might be paid $100 per credit hour per hour, or $300 a week for teaching a 3 hour class once a week. That's how the compensation is calculated. Obviously, there is more work than the 3 hours such as prepping for class, emails/meetings with students, grading assignments, and not to mention travel to/from campus if an in-person class.
The purpose for using block time rather than all required time is to minimize the paid time that takes place on the ground in New Jersey (and other states with income tax) so as to evade paying income tax to those states.
sethb is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:31 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 4,171
Originally Posted by sethb
The purpose for using block time rather than all required time is to minimize the paid time that takes place on the ground in New Jersey (and other states with income tax) so as to evade paying income tax to those states.
This is absolutely false.
physioprof is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:26 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Posts: 4,417
I stopped a queue-jumper a few years ago from cutting in business class queue when there was a separate crew-queue. I was given some profanities in return: Turkish pilot told me I'm a "f*******le"
Gnopps is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.