Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
FWIW I had an interesting discussion with the flight crew of an Air Canada airplane in EWR as we waited in the line for security-- I asked why they were waiting in line with us and the pilot told us that they were NOT allowed to use the crew lanes / skip the lines at EWR -- and did not know why.... Maybe it's a foreign airline thing -- or a Newark thing....
They can not use KCM, as US crews do, but TSA grants uniformed crew members front-of-line access at the screening points. It could be the agents at the lane entrances have given them bad information.

I'm often confused about what I'm supposed to do at non-US airports, too. It varies significantly from country to country. Some whisk us straight through (AUA) and others make it very difficult for us to know what they expect us to do.
SPN Lifer, choch345, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
They can not use KCM, as US crews do, but TSA grants uniformed crew members front-of-line access at the screening points. It could be the agents at the lane entrances have given them bad information.

I'm often confused about what I'm supposed to do at non-US airports, too. It varies significantly from country to country. Some whisk us straight through (AUA) and others make it very difficult for us to know what they expect us to do.
Is KCM automatic for US airlines' crews? And is it only for US airlines' crews?

For example, if a non-US citizen or LPR were employed as flight crew by a US airline, they can use KCM? And if a US citizen were employed as flight crew by, say, Air Canada, they could not?

I guess behind the scenes, then, do US airlines share employees' information with the US government?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
KCM = Known Crewmember®, sponsored by Airlines for America (A4A) and the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA), along with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...embers-cleared (TSA Friday, 7 September 2018)
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
KCM = Known Crewmember®, sponsored by Airlines for America (A4A) and the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA), along with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...embers-cleared (TSA Friday, 7 September 2018)
Thanks for the link!

It says,
KCM currently has 62 participating airlines
I followed through the links and found the list here:
https://www.knowncrewmember.org/airlines/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If the unions can't get their members act together with KCM, there's going to be a lot more crew cutting in front of the lines of muggles in the future.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:16 am

I couldn't care less and not going out of my way to be offended by every little act. It's a reasonable expectation that staff/crews receive certain priorities
SPN Lifer, uanj, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by porciuscato
it was the lone actively boarding. Again, these two FAs were in no hurry whatsoever after getting off the bus.
What is the relevance of whether flight crew are perceived to be "in no hurry whatsoever" as they go about their business?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
What is the relevance of whether flight crew are perceived to be "in no hurry whatsoever" as they go about their business?
I think OP was making the point that they weren't rushing to make a flight....
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Other posters suggested that perhaps the FAs were in a hurry to catch a flight or there was tight scheduling, thus justifying their queue jumping. But that was clearly not the case, as they were just hanging around after getting off the shuttle. I'm not sure if the pax who had to take the next bus had tight connections. Too bad for them, I guess.

This reminds me of the people I occasionally see who barge their way to the front of the plane on disembarkation, but then lollygag as soon as they're on the jetway. The only hurry, it seems, is to get in front of other people.
Buster CT1K and Kevin AA like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
If they had a lane for crew only, but waved in TSApre passengers when things weren’t busy, I’d be fine with that. It is a little cringeworthy when flight attendants push their way to the front of the line. The two scenarios are identical, though one triggers a perception of entitlement.

I react the same way if a retailer charges for the use of a credit card. It ticks me off and I walk away. However, if a retailer gives a discount for cash, I can live with that. It’s the same monetary outcome; however, one rubs me the wrong way.

In the grand scheme of things, with the exception of MIA, FAs and employees queue jumping doesn’t happen to me that often. If it’s my only outrage for the day, I’ll take it.
SPN Lifer, uanj and gsalem94122 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lilpisher
I don't disagree that at least initially there will be some timeliness issues, though feel confident that if United (or other airlines) set expectations that crew show up to their assigned locations on time or otherwise face disciplinary actions, it shouldn't be a long term problem.
If they were transferring terminals then their arrival and hence transfer time was likely outside their control and delaying them will delay everyone else on their flight.

This has given me a great idea. At our high-rise office building, we'll have any employees cut in front of visiting customers to get on the elevators. After all---those customers can't be helped if the employees aren't there first.
I'm pretty sure I've seen that scenario where customers lined up in front of a door got irate at someone trying to get in front until she told them no one was getting in until she was able to unlock it.

You see how weird that behavior actually is? I can't think of any other industry or company that behaves that imperiously toward customers
No other industry or company? Hmmm ... CNN, PBS, Disney, and a whole lot of social media companies who felt like it was their prerogative to tell their customers what they could think. I've seen that behavior by some (by no means all or even most) "civil servants" at all levels of government.

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Mar 7, 2024 at 8:43 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by mariol
If I wasn't getting paid since I only got paid for block-to-block time, I could see being in a rush to get to the break room too...
They chose to sign a contract where that is the method of pay, so.... too bad!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Other posters suggested that perhaps the FAs were in a hurry to catch a flight or there was tight scheduling, thus justifying their queue jumping. But that was clearly not the case, as they were just hanging around after getting off the shuttle. I'm not sure if the pax who had to take the next bus had tight connections. Too bad for them, I guess.

This reminds me of the people I occasionally see who barge their way to the front of the plane on disembarkation, but then lollygag as soon as they're on the jetway. The only hurry, it seems, is to get in front of other people.
This just seems so weird to me to be so focused on assessing the validity of justifications that other people have for their life decisions as they proceed through normal processes.
SPN Lifer, Imstevek and VAP1611 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Some United employees seem to have a sense of entitlement.

I took an international flight last week at an airport where you go through the Immigration check, pick up your bags, and then drop off your form on the way out.

Aircrew have their own line going through Immigration. Fine.

No one has priority in the line to drop off your form as you exit the Customs area. The line always goes fast - never more than 5 minutes. I’ve gone through it over 50 times in the past 6 years.

At any rate, the line was longer than usual last week. So two United pilots in uniform walked from the side to cut in line and jump ahead of about 50 people - telling the airport rep that they had to fly the next day (this was at 1 PM in the afternoon).

So the pilots cut in line and drop off their forms ahead of the rest of us whose time is less important than theirs. The next thing I see is that they’re flanking and talking to an elderly woman - moving incredibly slowly and forming a 3-abreast barrier that in effect caused a traffic jam and made it impossible for anyone to pass around them as we all walked down the hallway required to exit the airport … oblivious to it all and clearly not in any sort of hurry to get to their crew rest destination.
Kevin AA and porciuscato like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
This just seems so weird to me to be so focused on assessing the validity of justifications that other people have for their life decisions as they proceed through normal processes.
Project much?. For me, it makes a difference if someone barges in front of me because they're actually in a hurry rather than because they want to assert privilege. I suspect most people feel that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.