Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Flight attendants jumping the Terminal C>A bus queue

Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
If there's a legit complaint here, it's with the Port Authority for not providing a separate crewmember access line.
This. IIRC, IAD has a separate crew security line on the baggage claim level. Since I've never seen flight crew in the security lines at SEA, I'm assuming that there is a separate crew line there as well.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lilpisher
I don't disagree that at least initially there will be some timeliness issues, though feel confident that if United (or other airlines) set expectations that crew show up to their assigned locations on time or otherwise face disciplinary actions, it shouldn't be a long term problem.
If crews need to allow for more time for delays in moving about the airport, that effectively extends their mandatory rest time, costing the airlines money due to staff scheduling, hence it makes sense for the airlines to want to minimize their waits in line.
Your employer is not required by the government to provide you with a rest time, so the situations are not quite equivalent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2024 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
must be a slow news day; how can one tell what a give flight personnel's priority is without asking or knowing?? And frankly, is it any of your business?

UA is damned if they do, damned if they don't, Part 114.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:08 pm

Honestly the people with wheel chairs cutting the line are more annoying.

I sort of understand the crew mentality. We do the same thing with pre check and what not.
Sweetone likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
it was the lone actively boarding.
So downstairs, not upstairs in C? That doesn't make any sense.

I won't stand in line upstairs when in uniform because there's nothing for them to verify. I won't jump in front of people downstairs, though I will go around people who don't know where they're going. i.e. a line for the mid-door when the front door is open and unused. The staff will sometimes call us forward from a line. Not sure if I've seen this at the EWR bus but it happens in some places.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
^ Larry, there is no boarding pass check at terminal transfer (A and C).

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Honestly the people with wheel chairs cutting the line are more annoying.

I sort of understand the crew mentality. We do the same thing with pre check and what not.
Allowing wheelchair to passthrough indirectly help airport personnel assisting people needing help. Imagine airport personnel standing on the line; while other wheelchair pax have no help because the people helping are standing on the line.

As for the topic at hand, don't really care. Crew can bring through security liquids at more than the limit, and you can't. A lot of things are not the same depending who you are. Life isn't fair.

Last edited by Repooc17; Mar 4, 2024 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Aren't they checking the boarding passes of the people who will board a bus to their UX airplane? That's what I thought the line, that sometimes forms there, was for but I've never stood in it to find out.
choch345 and narvik like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Was this the line of people actively boarding the bus or the line for the agent who checks boarding passes and directs people to the correct bus?
Originally Posted by porciuscato
it was the lone actively boarding.
Originally Posted by LarryJ
So downstairs, not upstairs in C? That doesn't make any sense.
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Yeah, I'm totally confused now too.

Was this A to C (as title suggests) or C to A as text in OP suggests: "At EWR today: I was politely lined up with all the other Pax for the Terminal A bus."
AFAIK, at C there's (bus) boarding going on for some UAX flights where people line up upstairs, AS WELL AS the terminal bus downstairs.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik

Was this A to C (as title suggests) or C to A as text in OP suggests: "At EWR today: I was politely lined up with all the other Pax for the Terminal A bus."
AFAIK, at C there's (bus) boarding going on for some UAX flights where people line up upstairs, AS WELL AS the terminal bus downstairs.
Receives an alert to update the title and make it clear it was the bus, OP could be read either, but more likely OP was going to A, so adjusted the title again.
Apologies for the confusion

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Receives an alert to update the title and make it clear it was the bus, OP could be read either, but more likely OP was going to A, so adjusted the title again.
Apologies for the confusion
Phew, okay then. But this means we need to establish which line was actually jumped.
Upstairs there can be one (or more) queue(s) for the UAX flights that will have GAs check boarding passes, before pax go downstairs and get directed to their correct bus.
Additionally, downstairs is the waiting area for the terminal bus that takes you to A.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Phew, okay then. But this means we need to establish which line was actually jumped.
Upstairs there can be one (or more) queue(s) for the UAX flights that will have GAs check boarding passes, before pax go downstairs and get directed to their correct bus.
Additionally, downstairs is the waiting area for the terminal bus that takes you to A.
With 13 "security" staff playing on their phones, and one yelling "Terminal A?" repeatedly.
narvik, Kacee, porciuscato and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
With 13 "security" staff playing on their phones, and one yelling "Terminal A?" repeatedly.

Just that tiny part of EWR can be a bit challenging to navigate!
As LarryJ already suggested, if crew goes past lost-looking passengers in that area I can't fault them at all, and I do the same.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

This was the bus from C to A, lined up downstairs. They do not check boarding passes anymore.

This has given me a great idea. At our high-rise office building, we'll have any employees cut in front of visiting customers to get on the elevators. After all---those customers can't be helped if the employees aren't there first.

You see how weird that behavior actually is? I can't think of any other industry or company that behaves that imperiously toward customers
lilpisher likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Mar 4, 2024 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I don't know, but I kind of feel this "point" belongs in that thread about find inconsequential things to complain about. Airline and airport employees not having to queue for security or terminal transfers is just the standard world-wide.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uanj
I don't know, but I kind of feel this "point" belongs in that thread about find inconsequential things to complain about. Airline and airport employees not having to queue for security or terminal transfers is just the standard world-wide.
I think OP was pointing out the attitude a company has towards their customers -- and how that plays out in the day to day operations...

FWIW I had an interesting discussion with the flight crew of an Air Canada airplane in EWR as we waited in the line for security-- I asked why they were waiting in line with us and the pilot told us that they were NOT allowed to use the crew lanes / skip the lines at EWR -- and did not know why.... Maybe it's a foreign airline thing -- or a Newark thing....
porciuscato likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 4, 2024 at 4:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.