Pilots Locking Lavatory Door In Polaris

Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by featheroleather
Highly doubtful pilots blocked off a lav for the entire flight. Years ago there were 2 lavs at door 1 on the 764 so it was never an issue. Now PF pax also have PE pax using the 2 lavs at door 2, thats why pilots block 1 lav when rotating in/oit of the pit. Another fake story from that site.
Is this saying it doesn't happen? Data point from me, flying SIN-SFO, walked up to use the lab at the front of the plane and the FA came over and said it was closed for the pilots, the entire flight was closed, and I watched the pilots come out, use that lav, come out, lock it, and back to the cockpit. So it does happen.
nnn and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Plat
This was my experience as well last month on a 767 from GRU to IAD. At least one and possibly both of the forward lavs were locked starting sometime midflight until the end of the flight, and all of us in Polaris were waiting for the 2 between Polaris and premium economy. Definitely inconvenient!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I've often wondered why on larger planes -especially after 9/11- they don't just manufacture the bigger planes' cockpit slightly larger and incorporate its own lav.

The whole idea of an impenetrable cockpit door, that needs constant opening during flight for the sole purpose of pilots needing a bathroom break always struck me as quite idiotic.

As it is, I much prefer my United pilots in the cockpit than waiting in-line for a bathroom to become available.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uanj
I don't think this is the explanation most of the time. At least in my experience the blocked lav was the closest one to the cockpit.
I used to fly exclusively in the front cabin in the port bulkhead seat(s) and have noticed these lock-outs many times. It's always the lav closest to the cockpit, so Occam's Razor would preclude it being a maintenance issue. That being said, it's not a big deal on a 777.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This is an intersting thread, as I have flown a huge number of UA flights on 767, 777, 787 near the first row, and never noticed any lav closing.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
This is an intersting thread, as I have flown a huge number of UA flights on 767, 777, 787 near the first row, and never noticed any lav closing.
but some posters here have seen it happen on their flights so they paint with a huge brush & claim its a system wide situation only at UAL.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unclear which case are an uncompliant lav or a commandeered lav? Really two different situations. But poor optics without clearer qualification.
Agreed but it says something about today's society when it's preferable to take the heat over pilots possibly commandeering a lavatory over the false heat from "flying with inoperative equipment". I can see why the airline would allow crew to use a lavatory that perhaps is not up to snuff for the general flying public but I can also envision the social media disaster from people turning lavatory with faulty safety equipment into flying an unsafe aircraft.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ordaxa
This was my experience as well last month on a 767 from GRU to IAD. At least one and possibly both of the forward lavs were locked starting sometime midflight until the end of the flight, and all of us in Polaris were waiting for the 2 between Polaris and premium economy. Definitely inconvenient!
there are no lavs on the 764 at the front of the plane(door 1)…
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
I've often wondered why on larger planes -especially after 9/11- they don't just manufacture the bigger planes' cockpit slightly larger and incorporate its own lav.
None of the industry/regulators are as concerned about this as much as a few power tripping pilots.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by popoemt
Is this saying it doesn't happen? Data point from me, flying SIN-SFO, walked up to use the lab at the front of the plane and the FA came over and said it was closed for the pilots, the entire flight was closed, and I watched the pilots come out, use that lav, come out, lock it, and back to the cockpit. So it does happen.
i said it was highly doubtful lavs were locked for the entire flight. Different a/c or situation could have occured.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I used to fly exclusively in the front cabin in the port bulkhead seat(s) and have noticed these lock-outs many times. It's always the lav closest to the cockpit, so Occam's Razor would preclude it being a maintenance issue. That being said, it's not a big deal on a 777.
Originally Posted by physioprof
I have seen it on both 777 and 787 — only with the front lav — and while I think it's not a good look, it's not that common, and I feel like I have bigger things to worry about in life, so it's not worth making this an issue.
uanj, zombietooth and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
None of the industry/regulators are as concerned about this as much as a few power tripping pilots.
for whatever reason(more lavs= less seats) UA chose not to have any lavs at door 1 on the 764, unlike the 763’s.

Beancounter rule !!!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
there are no lavs on the 764 at the front of the plane(door 1)…
The main reason I avoid this plane is the lav situation. Two lavs in-between Polaris and the PE section for the entire Polaris cabin and whichever passengers in PE choose to use it and get away with it. Reducing the lav availability by 50% would be a disaster. 58 people sharing one loo for 10 hours!
nnn likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
maybe his friend saw the lav was again locked for final descent & just assumed it was shut the entire flight.
I've only noticed because of situations where I was waiting to get into the lav and saw a pilot exit the forward lav and lock it. On the few occasions when I've inquired about it to the FAs, I was told that it was reserved for the pilots. I never thought it was a big deal, but my memory was jogged upon seeing this thread.
SPN Lifer and featheroleather like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:53 pm

Not sure if this is related, but on my recent United flight sitting in C class, they have a FA blocked the entrance to the front lavatory when the pilot is using it, but as soon as he's done the FA moves out of the way and we can use it. So there's no "commandeering" but they do restrict passengers front approaching when the pilot needs the loot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.