Repositioning Airport - EWR ORD IAD IAH

Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest
Repositioning Airport - EWR ORD IAD IAH

Need to get to London one way in October. Putting a lot of research into this thinking about other airlines. But I think I should use some (or most) of my miles. Flying out of Nashville (BNA) I have to change planes somewhere, I have done Newark, Chicago and Dulles. But I haven't done Houston. The time in the air is a little longer. The flight is a little cheaper and I can use Southwest to get to HOUSTON and airport hotels look affordable (I don't have to spend the night but I don't mind).

Any thoughts about IAH? The lounge? The airport in general? Airport hotels? Would it be better than my three other choices? DIA (Denver) is more expensive so I ruled that out.

Thanks all!

EDITED to correct Dallas to HOUSTON.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Feb 11, 2024 at 2:04 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
What does Dallas have to do with getting to Houston from Nashville? What gets you lounge access? Are you *G? Are you booking a business class ticket?

What is your goal of all of this? Best airport lounge? Best plane seat? It's clearly not shortest flight time because you're flying against the natural direction of BNA-LHR to get to IAH.

We need more info to help you.

-RM
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Ewr has the absolute most options. Can even fly in night before and take the day flight over.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Sorry! Head cold. I meant fly via Houston, not Dallas.

Would fly Polaris - either cash or miles. Looking for a less congested screwed up airport experience. Since I don't eat the food or drink alcohol on the Polaris flights, I guess to get my 'money's worth' I like to use the Lounges. And easy airport hotels. hich I did consider. The connecting flights via ORD and EWR have a layover of only 1 hour. IAD has 2 hours. Direct flight out of IAH is about $300 less.

Reader's Digest version - How is Houston as an airport and how is the Polaris lounge?

(Sorry for the confusion . . .)
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aacharya
Ewr has the absolute most options.
But it's Newark. Newark is never an option if you value your sanity.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Dont overthink the routing based on the Polaris lounge - all are more than acceptable. Maximize the travel and convenience logistics. Consider that a slightly longer flight overnight can mean better sleep.

Your real logistics choice comes with the return as clearing immigration and positioning yourself for the next flight is VERY different at those 4 hubs.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But it's Newark. Newark is never an option if you value your sanity.
This. I'd use ORD or IAD, because I avoid backtracking whenever possible.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
If youre repositioning the night before, IAH is going to have lower priced hotel options than EWR, IAD, or ORD.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Sorry! Head cold. I meant fly via Houston, not Dallas.

Would fly Polaris - either cash or miles. Looking for a less congested screwed up airport experience. Since I don't eat the food or drink alcohol on the Polaris flights, I guess to get my 'money's worth' I like to use the Lounges. And easy airport hotels. hich I did consider. The connecting flights via ORD and EWR have a layover of only 1 hour. IAD has 2 hours. Direct flight out of IAH is about $300 less.

Reader's Digest version - How is Houston as an airport and how is the Polaris lounge?

(Sorry for the confusion . . .)

I have on several occasions flown back from Tampa to Houston to fly to London. The extra time in the air means more time to sleep. Otherwise I pick Dulles.

Last edited by jonisflying; Feb 12, 2024 at 5:41 am Reason: Changed Flew to Flown... whoops! :)
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would forget about Polaris and take the day flight from EWR or IAD. That way you dont miss a nights sleep and you dont suffer from nearly as much jetlag.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would forget about Polaris and take the day flight from EWR or IAD. That way you dont miss a nights sleep and you dont suffer from nearly as much jetlag.
The daytime IAD flight is no longer an option, even in the spring/summer, for now at least.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
You can take EWR off the list - it's most prone to delays and even in the best of times it's chaotic. Airtime to London is also too short to get much sleep. October is usually safe for ORD or IAD in terms of weather (snow). I'd probably go with IAH for you to get a new experience and maximize air time for rest.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Never Newark. Have you considered DEN? Two direct flights a day 5pm and 8pm

BNA to IAH is 2.5 hours, BNA-DEN is 3 hours.

DEN-LHR is 9 hours
IAH-LHR is 9:20

DEN has no Polaris lounge but that wouldn't deter me.

DEN is an easier transit that IAH IMO

DEN flight is a 787, IAH is a 777
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halls120
This. I'd use ORD or IAD, because I avoid backtracking whenever possible.
Just curious why you avoid backtracking? I don't mind it at all and would do it for a more comfortable flight or these days, the plane used on a particular route. I only do two international trips a year so it never gets boring.

And thanks for the other replies! Perfect.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Feb 11, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Need to get to London one way in October. Putting a lot of research into this thinking about other airlines. But I think I should use some (or most) of my miles. Flying out of Nashville (BNA) I have to change planes somewhere, I have done Newark, Chicago and Dulles. But I haven't done Houston. The time in the air is a little longer. The flight is a little cheaper and I can use Southwest to get to HOUSTON and airport hotels look affordable (I don't have to spend the night but I don't mind).

Any thoughts about IAH? The lounge? The airport in general? Airport hotels? Would it be better than my three other choices? DIA (Denver) is more expensive so I ruled that out.

Thanks all!

EDITED to correct Dallas to HOUSTON.
Southwest also flies BNA-ORD now, too.
WheelsUpGal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.