FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into? {Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2151128-fare-class-has-inventory-not-able-book-into-archive.html)

Kacee Jan 8, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 25984441)
How do I view fare rules on .com? I'd always figured it should be there somewhere, but I have never been able to find a link.

Click through "View Fare Rules and Restrictions" after you've selected your flights.

emcampbe Jan 8, 2016 10:46 am

edit: But to clarify my original question—I was interpreting mherdeg's final paragraph as meaning that although no CDG-EWR discount economy fares were offered, searching for a CDG-HNL with stopover in EWR might allow purchase of the CDG-EWR in a lower-priced fare bucket. Is that not the case? Or is there just no straightforward way to figure out the latter knowing only knowing CDG-EWR fare rules?

Correct - fares are generally done origin to destination, unless it's cheaper to have a fare break, where the site might bring that up. While Y might be the cheapest published fare on CDG-EWR for a one-way, CDG-HNL may have a published One way V fare which starts with the same CDG - EWR flight. That's where the buckets come in - while they aren't willing to sell a one-way V fare just to EWR one - way (after all, there's no V published allowing one-way), they may be willing to sell one to someone going to another destination, but makes a connection in EWR.

Now that V fare may allow for a stopover, or allow a stopover for a minimal cost. In that case, you could get on the CDG-EWR flight, stop for 2 days, and then go onward to HNL on a V fare.

Kacee Jan 8, 2016 10:53 am

But to clarify my original question—I was interpreting mherdeg's final paragraph as meaning that although no CDG-EWR discount economy fares were offered, searching for a CDG-HNL with stopover in EWR might allow purchase of the CDG-EWR in a lower-priced fare bucket. Is that not the case? Or is there just no straightforward way to figure out the latter knowing only knowing CDG-EWR fare rules?

Sure, but that's a different question. In that circumstance, the K is not offered for sale CDG-EWR. It's offered CDG-HNL, and may allow a stopover in EWR, ORD, SFO, etc. But that's not a CDG-EWR fare.

The only easy way to find that kind of fare is to use a site like Skiplagged that searches for hidden city itineraries. Because that's essentially hidden city logic.

dmodemd Jan 8, 2016 12:31 pm

You can use Expert Flyer (if you have a subscription) to search what fares are possible between your city pairs and then look into the restrictions of each to see if they could work for you. Then search availability of those buckets on united.com and see if you can get those specific fare types to come up. They still may not due to other not so obvious restrictions.

fumje Jan 8, 2016 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd (Post 25985737)
You can use Expert Flyer (if you have a subscription) to search what fares are possible between your city pairs and then look into the restrictions of each to see if they could work for you. Then search availability of those buckets on united.com and see if you can get those specific fare types to come up. They still may not due to other not so obvious restrictions.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25985089)
Sure, but that's a different question. In that circumstance, the K is not offered for sale CDG-EWR. It's offered CDG-HNL, and may allow a stopover in EWR, ORD, SFO, etc. But that's not a CDG-EWR fare.

The only easy way to find that kind of fare is to use a site like Skiplagged that searches for hidden city itineraries. Because that's essentially hidden city logic.

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 25985039)
Correct - fares are generally done origin to destination, unless it's cheaper to have a fare break, where the site might bring that up. While Y might be the cheapest published fare on CDG-EWR for a one-way, CDG-HNL may have a published One way V fare which starts with the same CDG - EWR flight. That's where the buckets come in - while they aren't willing to sell a one-way V fare just to EWR one - way (after all, there's no V published allowing one-way), they may be willing to sell one to someone going to another destination, but makes a connection in EWR.

Now that V fare may allow for a stopover, or allow a stopover for a minimal cost. In that case, you could get on the CDG-EWR flight, stop for 2 days, and then go onward to HNL on a V fare.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25984469)
Click through "View Fare Rules and Restrictions" after you've selected your flights.

OK, thanks everyone. This makes more sense now.

itsMoe Feb 6, 2016 10:27 am

Difficulties booking Q fares TATL

I've been looking for travel from the West Coast to TXL, and ua.com consistently refuses to show me any Q fares on weekend days. The phone agents were also unable to get this to price, but were not sure why.

Strangely, I can see Q availability both on UA.com and on expertflyer. I used to do this route monthly last year, in Q, with no problems. Travel is on a combination of UA and LH.

Did the fare rules change, or what am I missing here? As a follow-up, how would I go about checking the fare rules for specific examples?

As always, your insights are greatly appreciated.

cfischer Feb 6, 2016 10:35 am

would be strange to NOT have a Q-fare filed, but perhaps your dates or min stay restrictions don't allow a Q-fare? Did you check EF?

mahasamatman Feb 6, 2016 10:42 am

Fare rules change all the time. If there is a Q fare (no guarantee), it sounds like your travel plans don't match the requirements.

3Cforme Feb 6, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by itsMoe (Post 26143010)
I've been looking for travel from the West Coast to TXL, and ua.com consistently refuses to show me any Q fares on weekend days. The phone agents were also unable to get this to price, but were not sure why.

Try looking for availability of itineraries with ITA Matrix fare code force. In advanced routing codes fields, add (in both directions if that's what you want):

UA+ / f bc=q

Any seasonality, length of stay, and advanced purchase requirements for the fare still need to be observed.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...pstatppsbl.png

mduell Feb 6, 2016 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by itsMoe (Post 26143010)
Strangely, I can see Q availability both on UA.com and on expertflyer.

You need more than Q booking class availability to book in Q: you also need an eligible fare.

itsMoe Feb 10, 2016 9:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 26143159)
Try looking for availability of itineraries with ITA Matrix fare code force. In advanced routing codes fields, add (in both directions if that's what you want):

UA+ / f bc=q

Any seasonality, length of stay, and advanced purchase requirements for the fare still need to be observed.

Interestingly, when I tried searching your itinerary but with a return on a Saturday, ITA came up blank. As soon as I throw a weekday in there, Q pops up (same on UA.com as well).

Originally Posted by mduell
You need more than Q booking class availability to book in Q: you also need an eligible fare.

I have to admit, I'm a bit out of my depth here. Would you mind elaborating on this a little? Thank you!

emcampbe Feb 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by itsMoe (Post 26162799)
I have to admit, I'm a bit out of my depth here. Would you mind elaborating on this a little? Thank you!

When you search for flights, it should bring up the lowest available fare based on your parameters (dates, your stay length, etc.). While there may be Q inventory available (i.e. Q9), there may be something else going on. For example, in addition to Q space being available, you need a Q fare to be published on your specific origin to destination itinerary - as pricing is always done on origin to destination.

For example, if you are looking to go SFO-TXL, there needs to be Q availability for SFO-TXL, as well as a valid Q fare. If there is no Q fare on SFO-TXL, then it will price you up to the next bucket that is available and has a fare. Note that even if there is Q availability and a Q fare filed on individual segments, it might not be available from your origin to destination. So there may separately be Q availability on SFO-IAD and IAD-TXL, but not SFO-TXL, even on the same flights (this is called married segment availability). There may also be a Q fare filed for SFO-IAD and IAD-TXL, but no Q fare filed SFO-TXL.

There could be both Q availability and a Q fare, but if you aren't meeting the rules of the fare, it will bump you up to the next level where you do meet the rules. For example, some fares will require a Saturday night stay, so if you are planning your trip outbound Monday and return on Thursday, and the rules of the filed Q fare require a Sat. night stay, you'll go to the next fare level. Or, the Q fare may only be offered on flights Mon-Wed. In which case you may get a Q fare outbound, and a different on the return. Or, the Q fare may not be combinable with the lowest return fare, so it bumps up both segments. Also possible that a "higher" fare class actually has a lower fare - this happens sometimes too.

As you can see, there are many possible scenarios, so just because Q>1, doesn't mean a Q fare will be offered.

itsMoe Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am

That was really helpful, thank you for the explanation!

goodeats21 Feb 12, 2016 9:10 am

Encountering a strange one today.

Looking for a simple DAY->ORD trip. It will not offer me a First Class cabin fare even though F=9. The column "First (lowest)" just says not available. Only economy is available...though R=9 as well.

Did they really not file any type of First Class cabin fare for this date? Other dates have FC available. :confused:

Stupid United.:td:

EmailKid Feb 12, 2016 11:20 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 26173666)
Looking for a simple DAY->ORD trip. It will not offer me a First Class cabin fare even though F=9. The column "First (lowest)" just says not available. Only economy is available...though R=9 as well.

First I thought that they may have a switch to CR2 in mind, but that would not explain R=9 :rolleyes:

mduell Feb 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Did they really not file any type of First Class cabin fare for this date? Other dates have FC available. :confused:

Without knowing the dates of your trip we couldn't say.

findark Feb 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Encountering a strange one today.

Stupid United.:td:

Given the frequency of single cabin aircraft on that route, I'd guess something is out of sync and thinking that there is no F cabin for that date. But without exact dates can only speculate.

goodeats21 Feb 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I can't swear to the original dates as I was plunking around a bit looking for a weekend getaway. For a short time, economy was pricing out at $50 one-way, which is crazy low for that route historically.

I didn't find anything for the weekends I was contemplating, but did go ahead and book a business trip. Boss will not believe the $100 air fare for the round trip I will be submitting on the expense report. Usually more like $400

Seems like it might have been a temporary glitch as the FC fares are back now. Also the economy fares have gone up significantly.

Kacee Feb 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 26176543)
Seems like it might have been a temporary glitch as the FC fares are back now. Also the economy fares have gone up significantly.

I've been seeing lots of fare bucket glitches lately. Maybe they have a new employee with exceptionally fat fingers ;)

1k-all-the-way Jun 3, 2016 4:51 pm

Are some fare classes dependent of days of travel?

Hi all...i am booking a SFO-KIX-SFO trip Oct 13-16. Yes a very short trip so really want an upgrade. Using GPU this seems to only want to book into Q even tho I see W fares listed on site under "details". I called an agent who said there were no Ws. Are these fare classes only available sometimes - like 7 day trip, or low demand days, or am I doing something wrong. Ticket prices at $1,900....

PVDtoDEL Jun 3, 2016 6:13 pm

There is no W fare filed that matches your flights.

In order to book a ticket in any given fare class, there needs to be both inventory and an applicable fare.

cfischer Jun 3, 2016 6:13 pm

of course. Fare class available doesn't mean there is a fare available. Many cheaper fares have restrictions. This is very common.

WineCountryUA Jun 3, 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 26725049)
Hi all...i am booking a SFO-KIX-SFO trip Oct 13-16. Yes a very short trip so really want an upgrade. Using GPU this seems to only want to book into Q even tho I see W fares listed on site under "details". I called an agent who said there were no Ws. Are these fare classes only available sometimes - like 7 day trip, or low demand days, or am I doing something wrong. Ticket prices at $1,900....

Yes discount fares may have min stay requirements or may only be available on non-peak days. The filed fare basis has fare rules that must be meet for the fare to be available -- min stay, day of the week, particular routing, types of aircraft, flight numbers, ... are just some of the limitations common for fare rules.
You need
-- a filed fare basis
-- meet all the fare rules of that fare basis
-- inventory for that fare basis
only then can you purchase a particular fare basis.

findark Jun 3, 2016 7:11 pm

In this case, there aren't even any published fares lower than Q. SFO-KIX seems to consistently command high fares. Consider stopping in ICN one of the directions - this will give you lower fares (fares as SFO to SEL with stopover in OSA).

1k-all-the-way Jun 3, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks everybody...I always learn here....and much more than what the agent was able to tell me.

I can see a W through HND on the way back the prices about $400 less but am can't take it , since I have 48 hours on the ground in KIX and head to Paris within a few hours of landing back at SFO from the KIX flight..... At least my CDG flight upgrade cleared already!

aacharya Jun 3, 2016 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 26726013)
Thanks everybody...I always learn here....and much more than what the agent was able to tell me

When you turned on expert mode did you not agree to the fare class presentation v. ability quirk?

uclacolumbiaunc Jul 5, 2016 5:07 pm

expert mode question.

So the flight I am looking at has K9, G9, N9 on expert mode. Why is that flight sold with K as the lowest fare , but not G or N fare? If lower fare such as G or N has 9 or more seats available, shouldn't that flight sell at lower fare than K?

Taoyuan Jul 5, 2016 5:10 pm

My understanding is that there is no applicable fare filed, even though the fare classes are available.

drgreg Jul 5, 2016 5:26 pm

Can also be that G or N would be valid if your flight was part of a connection with the final destination having a fare filed in those classes, hence the availability is loaded for your segment to be sold in conjunction with another ..

WineCountryUA Jul 5, 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 26875095)
So the flight I am looking at has K9, G9, N9 on expert mode. Why is that flight sold with K as the lowest fare , but not G or N fare? If lower fare such as G or N has 9 or more seats available, shouldn't that flight sell at lower fare than K?

Fare class inventory is only one of the requirements to be able to book a fare, there are others that need to be met also,

From the thread's wiki

There are three requirements to be able to book a fare class
1) there needs to be a fare rule for that fare class for those O/D.
2) you need to meet all the requirements for the fare rule -- advance purchase, days of the week, min stay, qualified flight numbers, qualified routing (including a possible RT requirement), .....
3) there needs to be inventory in the fare class

emcampbe Jul 5, 2016 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 26875095)

Maybe, maybe not. In your case, it's probably either there's no G or N fare filed for your route, or there is one, but you don't meet all the conditions for it (I.e. Advance purchase, Sat. night stay, minimum stay, etc.).

escapefromphl Jul 5, 2016 7:51 pm

Why do you need those fares?

Kacee Jul 5, 2016 8:03 pm

G and N are sale fares, very rarely offered.

EmailKid Jul 5, 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26875611)
G and N are sale fares, very rarely offered.

Rarely buy anything else domestically ;) :p

Seby12 Aug 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Unable to book P fare

Looking for a trip to Australia in December. I can see the P bucket is at P5. When I go to the requested fare class it says it's not available. (It prices the business as full fare C or D) Same situation on LAX-SYD.

Any suggestions?
https://s9.postimg.cc/4whlk538f/image.png

mahasamatman Aug 11, 2016 9:41 pm

To book a ticket, you not only need availability in the P bucket, but United needs to have filed a P fare for that city pair, and your trip must meet all the requirements such as length of stay.

findark Aug 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27052319)
To book a ticket, you not only need availability in the P bucket, but United needs to have filed a P fare for that city pair, and your trip must meet all the requirements such as length of stay.

Indeed. There are currently n:eek:ne filed in either market.

Seby12 Aug 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27052373)
Indeed. There are currently n:eek:ne filed in either market.

Where can I check this by market, like you did.

WineCountryUA Aug 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Seby12 (Post 27052377)
Where can I check this by market, like you did.

For the average individual, paid subscriptions to ExpertFlyer or KVS provide this info.

JBlaine Dec 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Fare bucket question

I'm using united.com to book a one-way flight in early Jan that currently shows the following availability:

Available fare classes: F9 A7 JN9 C9 D7 Z4 ZN4 P3 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S7 T5 L2 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0

When the fare comes up, the "lowest" fare available for booking is "Q;" no option to book a V, W, S, or T fare (which would presumably be less expensive). Are those fares available somewhere else besides united.com?