Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canít talk to customer service agents at DEN?

Canít talk to customer service agents at DEN?

Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Sometimes having someone see/who is familiar the local situation even if they take longer to get to is a major plus. Plus I've had two irops incidents since the first of the year where "1k line" (res) basically said they don't have anything to offer and I should try to find someone at the airport for more creative possibilities. Which is difficult when customer service agents in clubs claim they aren't allowed to provide customer service and customer service centers.are either completely unstaffed or protected by guard "dragons".
I am not sure which UC agent was unwilling to assist, since that is a specific benefit of the club membership. At hub airports, the person who can help you is in the club, not the person who checks you in.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
United taking away the agent's ability to re-book IRROPS pax on the best available flights and in the originally booked cabin is cost-cutting. And being forced to fly one to two days later than my scheduled flight costs me significant money most of the time, so I've definitely noticed the degradation in CS at UA.

In addition, I've never been anything but respectful and deferential to UA CS staff. It hasn't made any difference in the poor results I've received lately.
UA can certainly rebook you on another carrier. However, the barriers are 1) the front line tool does not make it easy for agents to see availability unless you have specific flights to feed them; 2) this often requires a supervisor to complete the request.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Putting a trash bin at the entrance is such a customer unfriendly move. If those agents sitting behind a "customer service" desk are not "on the clock", or servicing customers, then go into a backroom to chit chat, or something. Really pathetic showing!
As discussed upthread, they could be assisting customers as virtual agents.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
UA can certainly rebook you on another carrier. However, the barriers are 1) the front line tool does not make it easy for agents to see availability unless you have specific flights to feed them; 2) this often requires a supervisor to complete the request.
This has not been my experience. During my last IRROPS, I presented the agent with 3 alternate flights with open seats that would get me to my destination on time and was told that they couldn't book me on non-UA flights. 2 were on DL and one was on AA. I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold, with the original agent finally coming back and telling me that the supervisor confirmed the policy. So, I canceled my UA tickets for cash refund and rebooked myself on DL.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This has not been my experience. During my last IRROPS, I presented the agent with 3 alternate flights with open seats that would get me to my destination on time and was told that they couldn't book me on non-UA flights. 2 were on DL and one was on AA. I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold, with the original agent finally coming back and telling me that the supervisor confirmed the policy. So, I canceled my UA tickets for cash refund and rebooked myself on DL.
I guess it depends on the reason for IRROP. If it's weather related, they will only put you on their own metal. If it's within their control, the order is UA > *A > partners > OAL.

Although in your case, it sounds like it warrants a HUACA. I had to do that 3 times with the 1K line for a weather related issue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I guess it depends on the reason for IRROP. If it's weather related, they will only put you on their own metal. If it's within their control, the order is UA > *A > partners > OAL.

Although in your case, it sounds like it warrants a HUACA. I had to do that 3 times with the 1K line for a weather related issue.
In my case, the airport where I misconnected was IAH and there was no weather there, and the 3 flights I found on OAL were on schedule. The reason for the misconnect was a 3 hour delay at my starting airport due to insufficient crew rest because their flight from the previous night had arrived 3+ hours late.
SPN Lifer and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
​​​​​​And? By putting a trash bin make it a ok? A sign would be much less effort than dragging a trash bin from elsewhere. Why not create a dedicated virtual agent space rather than giving the impression there are "customer service" agents but they are not available to provide customer facing needs, so we are going to put a trash bin to half block someone trying to access. Pitiful.
choch345, zombietooth and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:44 am
Original Member

​​​​​​And? By putting a trash bin make it a ok? A sign would be much less effort than dragging a trash bin from elsewhere. Why not create a dedicated virtual agent space rather than giving the impression there are "customer service" agents but they are not available to provide customer facing needs, so we are going to put a trash bin to half block someone trying to access. Pitiful.
There is a sign. Right next to the trash can.

Originally Posted by dval44

Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
How about taking the time to assist an actual customer right in front of you as an actual agent. Sometimes all I can do is shake my head......
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is a sign. Right next to the trash can.
But the sign does not say you can't access people right in front your eyes. Does it? It gives you another option to access agents from your phone. I have used the service, and gave up after 30 mins...no one came on the line.

​​​​​​You could literally place anything to provide some type of courtesy heads up, but those geniuses chose a trash bin; it's like no one has ever worked in a customer facing environment.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nomad420
How about taking the time to assist an actual customer right in front of you as an actual agent. Sometimes all I can do is shake my head......
If they were helping another customer on the virtual queue, are you suggesting that they should hang off on the other customer, just because there is a person asking for assistance in person in a method that they (somehow) cannot support at that given moment? OP had an agent helping him with a mobile device, which was not resolving the issue, and they insisted to talk to the agent's colleagues who are busy with something else. How is this UA not helping the impacted traveler vs. traveler had a misunderstanding on who are they being helped by, which OP had admitted?

But the sign does not say you can't access people right in front your eyes. Does it? It gives you another option to access agents from your phone. I have used the service, and gave up after 30 mins...no one came on the line.

​​​​​​You could literally place anything to provide some type of courtesy heads up, but those geniuses chose a trash bin; it's like no one has ever worked in a customer facing environment.
A sign that says "DO NOT APPROACH THE AGENT" would generate a similar response here on FT. #outrage
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
but those geniuses chose a trash bin; it's like no one has ever worked in a customer facing environment.
the sign is blocking access, not the trash can. I have often seen trash can near the concourse CS areas but the trash can is not blocking access. There is a lane barrier behind the trash can, so it the trash can was removed that would not change the access point (where the sign is).

As elites we may not be use to those sort of delays but not uncommon at general CS areas to wait in line 30 minutes.
PTahCha and ani90 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2024 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
If they were helping another customer on the virtual queue, are you suggesting that they should hang off on the other customer, just because there is a person asking for assistance in person in a method that they (somehow) cannot support at that given moment? OP had an agent helping him with a mobile device, which was not resolving the issue, and they insisted to talk to the agent's colleagues who are busy with something else. How is this UA not helping the impacted traveler vs. traveler had a misunderstanding on who are they being helped by, which OP had admitted?

A sign that says "DO NOT APPROACH THE AGENT" would generate a similar response here on FT. #outrage
My understanding is the OP politely asked for the other agents assistance and I assume would certainly wait for the appropriate moment for help as the OP was obviously not going anywhere for hours. I don't know, I guess this is the new age on how to do business but its not for me. In my offices when someone shows up in person for assistance they take precedence over the phone.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
.... In my offices when someone shows up in person for assistance they take precedence over the phone.
Understandable fairly standard, they made a special, out of their way trip, but when you have multiple customers --- both in the airport --- why would an in-person take precedence over another passenger in a different part of the airport. Agent on Demand is for airport passengers. All that would do is discourage folks from using AOD and instead line up. Seems self-defeating.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I am not sure which UC agent was unwilling to assist, since that is a specific benefit of the club membership. At hub airports, the person who can help you is in the club, not the person who checks you in.
So far this year:

C70 club at EWR -- three agents out front, 0 agents inside. All three agents said for rebooking my choice was to waste time with AOD or go to the customer service center. "we can't do anything" -- given this club has the "self-admitting gates" that stuck me as an odd staffing/policy decision as, indeed, it's what I ascribe most of my UC membership value to.

About a week later, C130 club at EWR - three agents out front, 0 agents inside. The one agent who acknowledged my presence when I popped out from inside the cliub claimed they had 'no way to know' and 'crew scheduling wouldn't tell is if we asked' the answer to my "where's the crew we're waiting for coming from" question. Amusingly when I asked a different agent at a different airport when they took that capability away and they showed me three different ways the agent could have pulled that up (in SHARES, in AERO, and in Gate Explorer) -- and the total demonstration took less than 3 minutes.

Oh also the EWR A club has no space for agent assistance in the club (the one agent inside is very explicitly an Air Canada only agent), but so far other than having a BP printed (because the kiosks and I weren't getting along) I haven't needed assistance in A (knock on wood since it looks like that's where I'll be tomorrow afternoon)

On my last pass through Newark the customer service center UC agent #1 had me use was barricaded off which is a disturbing and increasing trend across the system -- not sure why UA is so hellbent on giving such a visible middle finger to passengers. (Fortunately this was the arrival end of a single segment with nothing remarkable so I didn't need service but just because I got lucky...)

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Feb 19, 2024 at 7:54 pm
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Understandable fairly standard, they made a special, out of their way trip, but when you have multiple customers --- both in the airport --- why would an in-person take precedence over another passenger in a different part of the airport. Agent on Demand is for airport passengers. All that would do is discourage folks from using AOD and instead line up. Seems self-defeating.
I guess I need to be more open minded about AOD. Haven't used but I am sure I will. Usually I can get pretty good personal service from the UC agents, at least at SFO. Mercifully I have not had a bad IRROP in months. Seems like many (or at least some) of the comments have a negative impression with AOD beyond access issues.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I find the dismissal of OPs experience on this thread odd. Seems like he/she did all that was asked, and encountered extremely pool CS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.