Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canít talk to customer service agents at DEN?

Canít talk to customer service agents at DEN?

Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all - Sorry I forgot to come back to this after starting a mini firestorm. Wonder if anyone at DEN this weekend has a similar tale? To recap some of the confusion/comments:

Use of the word "dragon"
Mostly tongue and cheek. I was of course nice to the person with the iphone and did not in any way call her a dragon to her face. This was the general CS desk, but I perceived her as the one granting access to the CS agents (similar to a lounge dragon granting lounge access), that's all.

Were the ppl behind the desk CS agents?
Yes, during my time there, they did assist one person who I believe was granted access by the lady pacing with the iphone.

What I could have done better
Listen, I came with a fairly salty attitude as my plans for the weekend were ruined. I am a frequent traveler and I knew I had to talk to a person for this situation, and this could not be solved with the "Agent on Demand" app, which I already tried. I admit that my goal when arriving to the Customer Service desk was to talk to one of the CS agents behind the computers. I perceived that United was trying to mightily to dissuade me from doing so. First, by directing me to the "agent on demand" app, secondly, by putting up physical barriers, and thirdly, by insisting I use the kiosk to solve my problem. I admit that I didn't consider 1.) The person with the iphone was a "full" CS agent with all the capabilities of an agent behind a comptuer and 2.) that the agents behind the desk could have been assisting online customers.
SPN Lifer, CJ99, fastair and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:01 am

[mod edit]

I also think in the case of IRROPS, a customer at the airport should be able to speak to a live agent behind a computer. That is not unreasonable. It does greatly annoy me that United makes it difficult. In interviews, the CEO talks about how much they value customers. Proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by l etoile; May 29, 2024 at 10:56 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If United wants the customer service agents not to be approached in person, they should be behind walls. A roped-off area isnít good enough.

For the past 20-30 years, Iíve figured out the best way to get help a lot of times is just to call. I took great pleasure in watching a bunch of people in lines at customer service desks wondering why they were so clueless. I can think of only 3 times in the last 20 years that Iíve gone to a CS counter - and all involved a need for hotel or food voucher. Even that is not necessary anymore.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 18, 2024 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If United wants the customer service agents not to be approached in person, they should be behind walls. A roped-off area isnít good enough.

For the past 20-30 years, Iíve figured out the best way to get help a lot of times is just to call. I took great pleasure in watching a bunch of people in lines at customer service desks wondering why they were so clueless. I can think of only 3 times in the last 20 years that Iíve gone to a CS counter - and all involved a need for hotel or food voucher. Even that is not necessary anymore.
Completely agree on both points. I walk by the LONG lines at customer service and wonder what they are doing. But, if you want to speak to an agent behind a computer, that is your perogative as a customer and UA should offer this service to paying customers.
lincolnjkc and choch345 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOS 1K Flyer
Completely agree on both points. I walk by the LONG lines at customer service and wonder what they are doing. But, if you want to speak to an agent behind a computer, that is your perogative as a customer and UA should offer this service to paying customers.
Sometimes having someone see/who is familiar the local situation even if they take longer to get to is a major plus. Plus I've had two irops incidents since the first of the year where "1k line" (res) basically said they don't have anything to offer and I should try to find someone at the airport for more creative possibilities. Which is difficult when customer service agents in clubs claim they aren't allowed to provide customer service and customer service centers.are either completely unstaffed or protected by guard "dragons".
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Contrary to comments in this forum, not everyone is an 1K and has quick access to somewhat competent phone agents. Suspect many in line are not MP members. Yes that can still use the phone but are generally greeted with long call waits and less than great agents (without airport agent powers).

Enjoy the benefits of status but there is another world.

Personally on the rare occasional I need help at the airport, I go to the UC -- where the agents have airport access.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Contrary to comments in this forum, not everyone is an 1K and has quick access to somewhat competent phone agents. Suspect many in line are not MP members. Yes that can still use the phone but are generally greeted with long call waits and less than great agents (without airport agent powers).

Enjoy the benefits of status but there is another world.

Personally on the rare occasional I need help at the airport, I go to the UC -- where the agents have airport access.
This is just another symptom of how sick the air travel industry is these days. Poor customer service is now the norm and good CS is the outlier. Those of us who have flown for 10 years or more can remember excellent and consistent customer service and were trained to expect it.
As an example, in mid-2019, as a 1K, I was on a business trip to CA and my return to the East Coast was canceled due to IRROPS. I had a follow-on trip in J the next day to Japan and that trip was put in jeopardy because UA couldn't get me home until after my original flight to Tokyo was to depart (and I had no choice but to go home because I needed my passport and business marketing materials specific to Japan). I called the 1K line, explaining the situation, and they immediately booked me onto DL the next day because there were no open J seats left on any UA flights. In addition, they gave me a $750- voucher, without me asking, just "for the inconvenience". Man, was I happy after that phone call.
Nowadays, if UA cancels a flight and offers me flights the next day or even multiple days later, they absolutely will not put me on another carrier with seats available to get me to my destination on time.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 18, 2024 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This is just another symptom of how sick the air travel industry is these days. ....
You miss read my comments, I was commenting the customer support for the general public has not / does not receive the level of support elites receive, which in my case has still been good but understand, especially due to high load factors, this may not be as easy as it was.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
You miss read my comments, I was commenting the customer support for the general public has not / does not receive the level of support elites receive, which in my case has still been good but understand, especially due to high load factors, this may not be as easy as it was.
I am asserting that the degradation in service affects all flyers, regardless of status.
Back in the days when 1K service was still good, my no-status niece and nephew also received good service during IRROPS. Decreasing CS agent access (and their powers) is just another cost-cutting measure. Access to the front of the telephone queue or more senior agents hasn't seemed to help my flying experience as a 1K in the last 3 years.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:52 pm

Not everyone travels with a phone, especially international.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
...Decreasing CS agent access (and their powers) is just another cost-cutting measure.....
Not sure access is decreasing - face-to-face definitely is. I can say I've definitely (and frequently) seen CS agents in the past at airport posts twiddling their thumbs when things are going well operations-wise. UA's move is to get agents doing work during most of their time at work, hence the move to get agents responding more to calls/text/chat initiatives. More efficient use of the time they're being paid to work. UA's actually get more out of existing airport CS agents - that's different than cutting costs - it's actually getting more out of what's currently being spent.

Cost-cutting? If I was an employer, I'd want an employee working 95% of the time, not 60-75% - the agents are still there. Agent access and the policies they adhere to are different things. Agent probably are berated a lot for things they don't control. It's a no-win situation being an airline CS agent - everyone's coming to you with a problem and/or complaint. They deserve respect (and some latitude) for the job they have to do every day. I'd probably last a day as a CS rep before I was jailed for assault
fastair and choch345 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 18, 2024 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Cost-cutting? If I was an employer, I'd want an employee working 95% of the time, not 60-75% - the agents are still there. Agent access and the policies they adhere to are different things. Agent probably are berated a lot for things they don't control. It's a no-win situation being an airline CS agent - everyone's coming to you with a problem and/or complaint. They deserve respect (and some latitude) for the job they have to do every day. I'd probably last a day as a CS rep before I was jailed for assault
United taking away the agent's ability to re-book IRROPS pax on the best available flights and in the originally booked cabin is cost-cutting. And being forced to fly one to two days later than my scheduled flight costs me significant money most of the time, so I've definitely noticed the degradation in CS at UA.

In addition, I've never been anything but respectful and deferential to UA CS staff. It hasn't made any difference in the poor results I've received lately.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I would also bet that many of the people standing in that long line are also on the phone, waiting in the queue there as well. That was always a strategy back in the dark ages, before smart phones (don't get me started on the pre-cell phone days).

I am on board with the concept of using an app, kiosk, or AOD, but it has to actually work (as fastair noted, there are a ton of examples of bad CS systems). Getting a runaround like the OP did needs to be ironed out.
zombietooth and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:38 am

I remember lots of fantastic agents at UA years ago who had expertise with their software and the steps needed to make something happen for the customer.

Flying has become an unpleasant chore-a necessary evil in order for me to conduct business and earn my living.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2024 at 10:51 am Reason: Removed response to deleted post
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Putting a trash bin at the entrance is such a customer unfriendly move. If those agents sitting behind a "customer service" desk are not "on the clock", or servicing customers, then go into a backroom to chit chat, or something. Really pathetic showing!
zombietooth likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.