Signs of a good crew or not?

Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 375
Signs of a good crew or not?

The old standard of if the nuts were served warm you would get good service. I have a 2024 update. When in Polaris, whose aisles are very narrow, you can tell if you are going to get good service based on the reaction of a FA when you bump into eachother in the aisles. It happens all the time. Its inevitable but these flight attendants especially mine on tonights Ewr-zrh are so indignant that you are in their way. Sister why are we on this plane? Because we paid and you are the crew. Of course we need to respect crew members but when they look at us with absolute destain just for existing it makes me wonder.

To the point there are many pleasant fas who obviously figure out a way to coexist with passengers in the narrow aisles of Polaris. But there are some who are so miserable that why are they here. Crawl back under your rock and bother someone else.
Noanker1 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO / LHR
Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Noanker1
The old standard of if the nuts were served warm you would get good service. I have a 2024 update. When in Polaris, whose aisles are very narrow, you can tell if you are going to get good service based on the reaction of a FA when you bump into eachother in the aisles. It happens all the time. Its inevitable but these flight attendants especially mine on tonights Ewr-zrh are so indignant that you are in their way. Sister why are we on this plane? Because we paid and you are the crew. Of course we need to respect crew members but when they look at us with absolute destain just for existing it makes me wonder.

To the point there are many pleasant fas who obviously figure out a way to coexist with passengers in the narrow aisles of Polaris. But there are some who are so miserable that why are they here. Crawl back under your rock and bother someone else.
That's a wee bit harsh. The 76L is a tough plane to work with such a long J cabin, and when it's Friday night and everyone wants to be served quickly and get to sleep ASAP. It's tough to keep backing up and down those aisles with a cart or trays, or have a person a minute bump into you. I avoid this AC and the 764 if there is an option to for this reason.
nancypants and uanj like this.
greenpau is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,937
Originally Posted by Noanker1
The old standard of if the nuts were served warm you would get good service. I have a 2024 update. When in Polaris, whose aisles are very narrow, you can tell if you are going to get good service based on the reaction of a FA when you bump into eachother in the aisles. It happens all the time. It’s inevitable but these flight attendants especially mine on tonight’s Ewr-zrh are so indignant that you are in their way. Sister why are we on this plane? Because we paid and you are the crew. Of course we need to respect crew members but when they look at us with absolute destain just for existing it makes me wonder.

To the point there are many pleasant fa’s who obviously figure out a way to coexist with passengers in the narrow aisles of Polaris. But there are some who are so miserable that why are they here. Crawl back under your rock and bother someone else.
True. Some UA FAs are a class onto themselves. I recently flew SFO-(UA)-SIN-(SQ)-SFO in C, the difference couldn't have been more stark
malgudi is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Posts: 2,250
Originally Posted by Noanker1
...
To the point there are many pleasant fa’s who obviously figure out a way to coexist with passengers in the narrow aisles of Polaris. But there are some who are so miserable that why are they here. Crawl back under your rock and bother someone else.
The expectation on United is that you (the paying customer) will jump out of their way and then apologize for tainting the path that they are about to tread. I lonly see an exception to that about once a year (and I fly ~100 flights a year).

Fly on LH, Thai, LX SQ, etc. and the FA will get out of your way. Totally different -- and that difference in philosophyt/attitude is reflected throughout their service.

On United, the employee always comes before the customer. Always.
bmwe92fan and Plane-is-home like this.
porciuscato is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 6,928
If you ask for something, FAs response should give a clue, for example, asking for hanging up your coat. If the response feels like a burden to FA, the crew wont be good. Fortunately, that FA on SFO-TPE did not serve my aisle later. A good FA will proactively hang the coat for you and return the coat before landing. I had to ask for my coat back after landing.
porciuscato likes this.
Kmxu is online now  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by Noanker1
The old standard of if the nuts were served warm you would get good service. I have a 2024 update. When in Polaris, whose aisles are very narrow, you can tell if you are going to get good service based on the reaction of a FA when you bump into eachother in the aisles. It happens all the time. Its inevitable but these flight attendants especially mine on tonights Ewr-zrh are so indignant that you are in their way. Sister why are we on this plane? Because we paid and you are the crew. Of course we need to respect crew members but when they look at us with absolute destain just for existing it makes me wonder.

To the point there are many pleasant fas who obviously figure out a way to coexist with passengers in the narrow aisles of Polaris. But there are some who are so miserable that why are they here. Crawl back under your rock and bother someone else.
Assuming this was UA134? We had a good crew last night, sorry this was your experience.
757FO is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:16 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Posts: 1,829
You intentionally bump into FAs to size them up? I see where the bad attitude is, but it's not with the FAs..
757FO and physioprof like this.
EricH is online now  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:01 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,937
Originally Posted by EricH
You intentionally bump into FAs to size them up? I see where the bad attitude is, but it's not with the FAs..
That's your take on OP's post?
malgudi is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:04 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 5,263
Originally Posted by greenpau
...It's tough to keep backing up and down those aisles with a cart or trays,...
A few years a back I sat next to a deadheading FA on a flight and we had a lovely conversation for the whole flight. (Even spent a while explaining to me why 1K's are the most important pax at UA) I think it was a CR7 so not a very long aisle. FA came down with drink cart and snacks. She backed up twice for two pax who were up to use the lav. When she got to us. My neighbor told her that she is "too nice" and if it were her, she wouldn't back up for pax and make them wait. (BTW, I got my snack box, my neighbor asked for and received two snack boxes. Then proceeded to tell me how the last FA had the nerve to charge her)

As for the OP, my standards are pretty low these days. Here are a few things I look for. FA coming over to confirm my order (after preordering). FA smiling. FA offering to do anything (ie. PDB, hang coat, etc). FA following through in short time period. (ie. FA getting me slippers within 30min of my request), FA actually following through (Last flight I never got any after asking two different FAs so maybe I should just be happy to get them).
eng3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.