Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weird reservation: last leg has flight to the past and I can't check in

Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

So I just called and changed my wife's ticket to avoid a max 9 on Thursday. It's a three leg flight and the first one was on a max 9. We changed the first leg to go to Houston on a 737-900 and from Houston to GRU. The last leg remained the same. Or so we thought.

After the call I was checking the tickets and the new itinerary has a weird time and date for the last lag: it's a LATAM flight that leaves at 12:00am and arrives at 12:00am January 1st, 2001. The actual flight number is correct, the departure date is correct, but it actually leaves at 12:20pm (not 12:00am) and, obviously, arrives in 2024.

I assumed that time travel is not possible so I spent an hour chatting with UA and they told me it's a problem with LATAM and that I would have to "coordinate with the LATAM airport representative." But the first leg is on a UA flight leaving from Seattle so that won't be possible. The UA agent said my wife will be able to check in without problems on Thursday regardless.

Has anyone seen or gone through something like this?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I changed my wife's flight yesterday and although it changed the itinerary a bit (from SEA-IAD-GRU-XXX to SEA-IAH-GRU-XXX) the last leg GRU-XXX was the same flight on LATAM. However, in the new itinerary, GRU-XXX has the wrong departure time and arrival is in January, 2001, at 12:00am. Previously, flight was "from SEA to XXX" and now flight is "from SEA to GRU" and the last leg (with LATAM) is listed as a new flight in between the outbound and the inbound flights.

We tried to check in today and we got a message that the app is unable to check in and to do it at the airport. I decided to call United and they basically did the same thing I did, also telling me they're unable to check me in and proceed to the airport. I was hoping they would either explain what was the problem or fix it, but that didn't happen. Now I guess we have to wait until tomorrow to see if she'll be able to check in, and if she'll be able to send her bags all the way to XXX.

Curious if anyone has had this problem?

Notice how the flights are now disconnected:

Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
What's the flight status of the GRU-XXX leg that your wife intends to take? (Just wondering if it's something about the flight or her reservation ... &#129300
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
What's the flight status of the GRU-XXX leg that your wife intends to take? (Just wondering if it's something about the flight or her reservation ... &#129300
Status is fine - on time. Also, it's the same last flight as before the change and it was fine until it was changed.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Just my $0.002, but I'd definitely call back. That's not something I'd leave for an airport agent to sort out unless there were truly no other recourse.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
Just my $0.002, but I'd definitely call back. That's not something I'd leave for an airport agent to sort out unless there were truly no other recourse.
I did chat AND called yesterday to try to fix this (and called today to see if I could check in) and they just couldn't fix it and blamed it on LATAM. Told me to fix it with the LATAM representative at the airport except the flight leaves from Seattle and there are no LATAM representatives there. The flight was bought directly through United.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Partner flight?

Recent report of incorrect 12:00 AM departure and arrival of an AV? flight

It was the OP's prior report of this issue

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 10, 2024 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Update: she's checked in supposedly all the way to XXX and the bag is also checked to XXX. However, she'll have to get the boarding pass with LATAM in So Paulo at their check in counter and the app still says she's only going to GRU.

Incidentally, the GA said the ticket had changed 10 times. We changed it only two times: one, online, to update the inbound flight and another one to fix the max problem (which ended up moot because I think they changed to a 737-900 yesterday).
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:43 am

Why the secrecy? XXX?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:49 am
Original Poster

[MENTION=22982]Mal[/MENTION]gudy let's just say there's a reason we left Brazil and I'm a bit paranoid after that. Of course, someone could always look at my history and figure it out.

Update 2: she managed to board the LATAM flight but someone was in her seat. Luckily the FA found another seat for her and she just landed. For those wondering, she didn't land in 2001.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pampa
Update 2: she managed to board the LATAM flight but someone was in her seat. Luckily the FA found another seat for her and she just landed. For those wondering, she didn't land in 2001.
Glad she's on the ground and safe, but disappointed she didn't land in 2001.

Think how different the world would be if she could've warned others about 9/11.
pampa likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is normal. A common display issue with partner flights. Often happens after upgrades or such changes. This usually only affects the reservation view on united.com and has no impact in my experience
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pampa
Update: she's checked in supposedly all the way to XXX and the bag is also checked to XXX. However, she'll have to get the boarding pass with LATAM in So Paulo at their check in counter and the app still says she's only going to GRU.

Incidentally, the GA said the ticket had changed 10 times. We changed it only two times: one, online, to update the inbound flight and another one to fix the max problem (which ended up moot because I think they changed to a 737-900 yesterday).
For future reference, what does it say on LATAM's system? That's the record that counts.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Aside from the Max impacts, if you bought the ticket several months ago and there were schedule changes (either United or other carrier) that would explain why the airport agent said there were 10 changes to the ticket. A schedule change would reflect with a new flight number or time, change of equipment, etc.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:23 am

+1 to what cfisher said. Have this happen a half dozen times every year, with 016 tickets and LH segments. Date is always Jan 1 2001 at midnight. The first time this happened, I called United and they mucked up the ticket. Have not called subsequently, and as long as the flight shows correctly under the partner PNR, I do nothing and never had a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.