FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2147546-united-app-discussion-bugs-android-ios-archive.html)

fumje Jan 3, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 30605545)
Not sure how you are getting to the SDC screen, but I never have a difficulty getting to it or checking a seat map:

1) Hit "Check-In" for flight.
2) Scroll down and if anything available it will have an icon like "Take an earlier flight". I click on that.
3) It show me all flights (earlier and later) available in the 24 hour window. I can then expand on details and check on the seat map to see what is available before changing or not changing.

Is there a different way to do it? The above is the only way I have been doing it but maybe there is another. What's nice is that you can do this whether or not you are checked in for the flight. Basically, once I am checked in I can still view SDC by going to "Check-In" again.

Sometimes the systems don't communicate with each other quickly enough, and the 'earlier flight' icon simply doesn't show. If you just keep re-trying it can come back. I'm not sure that an app redesign can fix that issue, but I say that with no knowledge of how the back-end works.

HKBelonger Jan 3, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 30605545)
Not sure how you are getting to the SDC screen, but I never have a difficulty getting to it or checking a seat map:

1) Hit "Check-In" for flight.
2) Scroll down and if anything available it will have an icon like "Take an earlier flight". I click on that.
3) It show me all flights (earlier and later) available in the 24 hour window. I can then expand on details and check on the seat map to see what is available before changing or not changing.

Is there a different way to do it? The above is the only way I have been doing it but maybe there is another. What's nice is that you can do this whether or not you are checked in for the flight. Basically, once I am checked in I can still view SDC by going to "Check-In" again.

Yes, at check in. After check in, it requires you to go "view reservation" even though it shows you the option to "change flight" from the menu. If I pick that option from the menu, then I shouldn't have to pick it again using the picture with the guy rubbing his chin. And if the picture with the guy rubbing his chin isn't there, is that because there are not options, or because the app is acting up, like it sometimes does on boarding pass? It should always take me to a change flight screen, even if it then says "sorry, no free options. Would you like to see paid options?"

On the seat map, I have to select the flight I want to SDC to and head to another screen to then click seat map to head to another screen to see the seat map. You know why I am here and you know that the two primary decision points on SDC are time and seat. Put them together. And if you really wanted a true enhancement, show me my projected placement on the upgrade list.

Again, nothing major, just slight improvements to functionality and placement. It won't bother me if they don't get fixed, I just don't want to see backsliding on current functionality in the name of efficiency or enhancements.

fumje Jan 3, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by HKBelonger (Post 30605744)
Yes, at check in. After check in, it requires you to go "view reservation" even though it shows you the option to "change flight" from the menu. If I pick that option from the menu, then I shouldn't have to pick it again using the picture with the guy rubbing his chin. And if the picture with the guy rubbing his chin isn't there, is that because there are not options, or because the app is acting up, like it sometimes does on boarding pass? It should always take me to a change flight screen, even if it then says "sorry, no free options. Would you like to see paid options?"

On the seat map, I have to select the flight I want to SDC to and head to another screen to then click seat map to head to another screen to see the seat map. You know why I am here and you know that the two primary decision points on SDC are time and seat. Put them together. And if you really wanted a true enhancement, show me my projected placement on the upgrade list.

Again, nothing major, just slight improvements to functionality and placement. It won't bother me if they don't get fixed, I just don't want to see backsliding on current functionality in the name of efficiency or enhancements.

I'm not eager to see them streamline SDC to be 'intelligent' about free vs paid options. The Change Flight option as opposed to the Chin-Rubbing option give you different functions. I agree it's somewhat unintuitive in certain aspects, but if they attempt to harmonise those functions I guarantee we will not be happy with the result.

dulcamara Jan 3, 2019 2:49 pm

I expect nothing but a downgrade in performance + clutter and sales garbage. No No No .....

narvik Jan 3, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 30604719)
I think the plan is to clean some of these things up, present more relevant tools to the user depending on where they are in the travel/sales cycle (booking, approaching travel, day of travel). as well as where they are physically, and harmonize the visuals between the app and the new website.

That may sound good in theory, and likely a well-intended goal for the redesign, but I honestly can't see how ANY of those things could possibly be implemented successfully and with the result of actually improving the user experience.

The distrust and disquieted tone of the comments in this thread come from countless past experiences with UA IT.

Bonehead Jan 3, 2019 3:13 pm

They recently redesigned the "The Weather Channel" app, adding ads and cute little features that don't add a thing to its core mission. Now it hangs half the time when I open it, probably waiting on a balky ad server somewhere :mad:

TomMM Jan 3, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 30605965)
They recently redesigned the "The Weather Channel" app, adding ads and cute little features that don't add a thing to its core mission. Now it hangs half the time when I open it, probably waiting on a balky ad server somewhere :mad:

"Core mission" == Revenue Generation

DawgmanOH Jan 3, 2019 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by HKBelonger (Post 30605744)
Yes, at check in. After check in, it requires you to go "view reservation" even though it shows you the option to "change flight" from the menu. I

Not sure why you have to keep going to "view reservation". If I am already checked in, I am able to restart the check-in process and go right to "Change Flight". Anyways, it is light years ahead of either Delta and AA, neither of which have SDC on their app right now.

topman Jan 3, 2019 3:28 pm

I hope these changes are nothing like united.com. I don't have to even speculate but like everything United this will be a downgrade.

Bonehead Jan 3, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 30605982)
"Core mission" == Revenue Generation

Oops...I forgot.

FreFly Jan 3, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 30602877)
Unfortunately, a "redesign" nowadays almost always comes with a loss of functionality, sometimes a significant loss. The UA website is a prime example. "Redesign" is too often jargon for "dumbing down", resulting in the user being less informed and thus less powerful.

As someone who finds the website redesign to be a step back in functionality and ease of use, I am worried that the redesigned UA app will be harder to use. I will be pleasantly surprised if this turns out not to be the case.

physioprof Jan 3, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 30605965)

Off-topic, but if you're on Android, check this out:

https://blokada.org/

Anyone who downloads & tries it, if you want advice on configuration, feel free to DM me. I figured out a few non-intuitive things that make it work even better than default config.

euslaner Jan 3, 2019 4:31 pm

Agreed. Older apps were problematic. For multicity international itineraries, I would usually be told that no flights were available and the fares were difficult to figure out. The new app solved these problems. Looks like UA is following the dictum: If it ain't broke, break it.

lax01 Jan 3, 2019 4:39 pm

Saw this on Reddit today and it will (most likely) apply here

https://i.redd.it/43hh7j4ta8821.jpg

AsiaTravel2019 Jan 3, 2019 6:02 pm

The app should be able to detect airplane WiFi and show a status bar on the home screen of the app.

Of course, making the WiFi actually work and not suck, that's another issue :eek: