Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hi All,

Yesterday I booked an award ORD BOS MUC ticketed by UA, second leg operated by LH. I have never had the experience of a "mixed carrier" booking on same PNR.

I understand on day of travel the operating carrier is responsible for IROPS. Who do I turn to if UA has IROPS and it leads to a misconnect in BOS?

Trying to think ahead for my "plan B" should we have any troubles getting out of ORD.

Thanks!
The late-delivering carrier is always responsible, so that would be UA.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I understand on day of travel the operating carrier is responsible for IROPS. ...
More generally stated, the operating carrier that created the problem

...Who do I turn to if UA has IROPS and it leads to a misconnect in BOS? ...
UA as the carrier creating the problem.

In some cases the ticketing carrier may be an option for help, but they are not required to do so. Always go to the operating carrier that created the problem first. The connecting carrier, if it did not create the problem or was not the ticketing carrier, will generally decline to help.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:19 pm

Is there an escalation customer service phone number to contact someone above a front line representative? I have booked tickets through Lufthansa and one segment is on United and I'm trying to upgrade my seats to first. I have spoken with each airline and they both say they can't accomplish this and to talk to the other. I'm literally trying to give them more money and no one will take it! Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. CoasterJoe

Originally Posted by CoasterJoe
Is there an escalation customer service phone number to contact someone above a front line representative? ...
No really and not for your issue

I have booked tickets through Lufthansa and one segment is on United and I'm trying to upgrade my seats to first. I have spoken with each airline and they both say they can't accomplish this and to talk to the other. I'm literally trying to give them more money and no one will take it! Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Cash or award ticket?

UA segment is labeled how? UA or LH flight number. Cabin? Fare class? (Some economy fares are not upgradable, such as LH Light fares)

Change the ticket fare to a higher fare class can only be done by LH/

Cash, non-refundable upgrade for the UA flight can potential be done by UA. Have you looked at your flight on the UA site?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!. CoasterJoe

No really and not for your issue

Cash or award ticket? Cash Ticket

UA segment is labeled how? UA or LH flight number. LH flight number Cabin? Economy trying to upgrade to First Fare class? V (Some economy fares are not upgradable, such as LH Light fares)

Change the ticket fare to a higher fare class can only be done by LH/

Cash, non-refundable upgrade for the UA flight can potential be done by UA. Have you looked at your flight on the UA site? I have looked and it says that no cash upgrades are available.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:06 pm

What is the routing of the UA segement? all domestic? or TATL?
And what happens when you look your trip on united.com and select the upgrade option?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:17 pm

What is the routing of the UA segement? all domestic? or TATL?
And what happens when you look your trip on united.com and select the upgrade option?
The UA segment is all domestic. EWR to TPA.
When I click on the first class seats on the seat assignment page it takes me to a second page that I can toggle between miles and cash for upgrades and it says that there are no cash upgrades available.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:22 pm

Hi All,

Yesterday I booked an award ORD BOS MUC ticketed by UA, second leg operated by LH. I have never had the experience of a "mixed carrier" booking on same PNR.

I understand on day of travel the operating carrier is responsible for IROPS. Who do I turn to if UA has IROPS and it leads to a misconnect in BOS?

Trying to think ahead for my "plan B" should we have any troubles getting out of ORD.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by jsloan
The late-delivering carrier is always responsible, so that would be UA.
More generally stated, the operating carrier that created the problem

UA as the carrier creating the problem.

In some cases the ticketing carrier may be an option for help, but they are not required to do so. Always go to the operating carrier that created the problem first. The connecting carrier, if it did not create the problem or was not the ticketing carrier, will generally decline to help.
Thanks guys. Thought of two follow up questions that are more academic in nature (hopefully) but trying to expand my knowledge/understanding...

This booking is UA J ORD BOS and then LH F BOS MUC.

1) If UA had late departure causing misconnect in BOS...I would go to them for help...what would be expected recourse for down grade from *A F to J?

This trip is tomorrow, and I don't see any chatter in LH form about cabin crew striking for LH this week.

2) If LH were to strike causing a cancellation, I assume they would just rebook me on any LH metal F seat US EU...? Said another way, does a worker strike change the way IROPS are handled?

I appreciate you both!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys. Thought of two follow up questions that are more academic in nature (hopefully) but trying to expand my knowledge/understanding...

This booking is UA J ORD BOS and then LH F BOS MUC.

1) If UA had late departure causing misconnect in BOS...I would go to them for help...what would be expected recourse for down grade from *A F to J?

This trip is tomorrow, and I don't see any chatter in LH form about cabin crew striking for LH this week.

2) If LH were to strike causing a cancellation, I assume they would just rebook me on any LH metal F seat US EU...? Said another way, does a worker strike change the way IROPS are handled?

I appreciate you both!
1 - Partial refund, or you can wait for the next available F seat -- although if the F was via an upgrade, they may want you to wait for upgrade space.
2 - At that point, it'd be LH causing the iRROPS, so it'd be up to them. Most German strikes are announced a couple of days in advance, so I wouldn't expect anything that hasn't already been published. That said, if your LH flight were canceled, EC.261 duty of care should attach, so they should be amenable to moving you to any reasonable F routing, but I suspect they'd still prefer LH group.
SPN Lifer and purdue1015 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:48 pm

The UA segment is all domestic. EWR to TPA.
When I click on the first class seats on the seat assignment page it takes me to a second page that I can toggle between miles and cash for upgrades and it says that there are no cash upgrades available.
This unusual but not unknown.

Normally UA is not bothered by the codeshares, LH flight number on UA metal (most other airlines are). UA is always looking for ways to take more of your money. Is this a new booking?
I would watch the UA website to see if an offer appears in the future. It may be as late as check-in.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - Partial refund, or you can wait for the next available F seat -- although if the F was via an upgrade, they may want you to wait for upgrade space.
2 - At that point, it'd be LH causing the iRROPS, so it'd be up to them. Most German strikes are announced a couple of days in advance, so I wouldn't expect anything that hasn't already been published. That said, if your LH flight were canceled, EC.261 duty of care should attach, so they should be amenable to moving you to any reasonable F routing, but I suspect they'd still prefer LH group.
Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:26 pm

This unusual but not unknown.

Normally UA is not bothered by the codeshares, LH flight number on UA metal (most other airlines are). UA is always looking for ways to take more of your money. Is this a new booking?
I would watch the UA website to see if an offer appears in the future. It may be as late as check-in.
I made the booking back in November. I keep checking the LH and UA site regular to see if there is anything available.

Last edited by CoasterJoe; Apr 3, 2024 at 2:47 pm Reason: Corrected formatting
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:40 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Flying LAX-IAH-TQO-LAX. LAX-IAH shows CPU requested to First. IAH-TQO doesn't show anything. Interesting on the way back I am on direct TQO-LAX booked in Business since it was cheap. Confused... Should IAH-TQO qualify for CPU? Also notice that the return is labeled business which I normally think of for longer international flights, not USA-Mexico. All three flights look pretty empty as of now, am fine with my exit rows in E+, just curious how it should be working and what I'm not understanding, typically we fly LAX-CUN.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Flying LAX-IAH-TQO-LAX. LAX-IAH shows CPU requested to First. IAH-TQO doesn't show anything. Interesting on the way back I am on direct TQO-LAX booked in Business since it was cheap. Confused... Should IAH-TQO qualify for CPU? Also notice that the return is labeled business which I normally think of for longer international flights, not USA-Mexico. All three flights look pretty empty as of now, am fine with my exit rows in E+, just curious how it should be working and what I'm not understanding, typically we fly LAX-CUN.
Likely IT glitch.

See some relevant recent reporting, along with possible DIY work arounds in the first link:

Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA [Merged]

united w class don't see cpu in reservation
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Award Accelerator Miles

A quick question: Do Award Accelerator Miles count towards the annual purchase limit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.