Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njwatson32
So what's going on here? Did I get a windfall on AC or stiffed on OU? I don't have any other *A partner bookings this year to compare behavior. If AC is correct, that's an outstanding deal. I earned more RDM booking through AC than I would have booking through UA as a 1K. I earned 27413 RDM for this trip (BOS-YYZ-LHR-ZAG, DBV-ZRH-YYZ-SFO) off a $2,229.79 ticket.
Some partners -- including AC, but not including OU -- have a redeemable mile bonus based upon status. For a 1K, it's 100% extra base miles: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/bonuses.html

You can find a link called "Earning Premier bonus miles" toward the top of partner pages that include this benefit, including AC: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Some partners -- including AC, but not including OU -- have a redeemable mile bonus based upon status. For a 1K, it's 100% extra base miles: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/bonuses.html

You can find a link called "Earning Premier bonus miles" toward the top of partner pages that include this benefit, including AC: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
Awesome, I didn't know that. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Totally forgot about this. It's been a while since I've booked with AC direct, but about to book a flight for next week, and while I could book via UA, it's almost 50% more to do it that way. That's too much.

So as a silver, booking AC metal via AC, on a t fare, I presume I should earn ~1125 regular award miles (distance on gcm is 2250, so give or take, I guess), plus a 25% bonus for being a silver, for a total of 1406 award miles? In terms of PQP, I think that would be 281 (1406/5)? Or does PQP not take into account the award miles bonus as the basis? Would earn more through UA (both miles and PQP), but given additional planned travel will get me my status for next year anyway, not too worried about it, esp. for the extra cost.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Totally forgot about this. It's been a while since I've booked with AC direct, but about to book a flight for next week, and while I could book via UA, it's almost 50% more to do it that way. That's too much.

So as a silver, booking AC metal via AC, on a t fare, I presume I should earn ~1125 regular award miles (distance on gcm is 2250, so give or take, I guess), plus a 25% bonus for being a silver, for a total of 1406 award miles? In terms of PQP, I think that would be 281 (1406/5)? Or does PQP not take into account the award miles bonus as the basis? Would earn more through UA (both miles and PQP), but given additional planned travel will get me my status for next year anyway, not too worried about it, esp. for the extra cost.
The PQP goes off base distance and fare class only. That said if your willing to poke around to higher classes of service on cheap tickets it will lead to windfall earnings. AC latitude and AC/LH PE fares can have amazing RDM/$ earnings. Earlier this summer I did a trip to CPH on AC that earned ~14750 RDM base on a $1000 fare. Got silver partway through, full silver earnings would be 18k RDM, a 1K/GS would have made ~28k RDM.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Merolis
The PQP goes off base distance and fare class only. That said if your willing to poke around to higher classes of service on cheap tickets it will lead to windfall earnings. AC latitude and AC/LH PE fares can have amazing RDM/$ earnings. Earlier this summer I did a trip to CPH on AC that earned ~14750 RDM base on a $1000 fare. Got silver partway through, full silver earnings would be 18k RDM, a 1K/GS would have made ~28k RDM.
I wonder what would happen if you booked PE on LH and used LH miles to upgrade.

Sometimes the upgraded class could I-class, making it ineligible - gather we would have to take it up later...
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Sometimes the upgraded class could I-class, making it ineligible - gather we would have to take it up later...
This had been an issue in the past (earnings on LH upgrades to I) but no reports of the issue for some time.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

My return was booked in LH PE and was reported as fare code N to UA. That said I was upgraded to business (op/comp?), I didnt ask why and the agent didnt say. But I suspect it had something to do with LH misconnecting my bag in FRA through no fault of their own and leaving me without my clothing until the next day. The fault was on AC's part, as a "great" OTP provider, aka late as all hell giving me a 30minute connection to the LH flight.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
I'm trying to understand PQP credit for preferred airline partners. A recent Air Canada trip netted me 626 PQP:

Toronto (YYZ) - Vancouver(YVR)
Air Canada 113 | P Class
Base miles: 2,085
Bonus miles earned: 3,128
Total miles earned: 5,213

I thought PQP credit was [Total miles earned]/ 5? Should I have received 1043 PQP or am I reading the information about PQP incorrectly.

TIA.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by willryu
I'm trying to understand PQP credit for preferred airline partners. A recent Air Canada trip netted me 626 PQP:

Toronto (YYZ) - Vancouver(YVR)
Air Canada 113 | P Class
Base miles: 2,085
Bonus miles earned: 3,128
Total miles earned: 5,213

I thought PQP credit was [Total miles earned]/ 5? Should I have received 1043 PQP or am I reading the information about PQP incorrectly.

TIA.
Distance: 2,085 x COS bonus 150% / 5 = 626

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can someone help check this for me? I find myself in a first-time situation two times over for the same ticket: a) booking directly with AC; b) booking basic economy. A last minute weekend trip has come up that I can book through United.com (UA-coded, AC-operated fully) or through AirCanada.com directly. It's WAS-YUL-xxx (outside N.A.).

United.com has $482 for BE and $632 for E. Again, AC operated.
AirCanada.com has $464 for BE for the same flights.

If I book through United I will earn $380 x 11 = 4,180 miles and $380 PQP. ($380 is the fare excluding all taxes).
If I book through AC I will earn 50% of the actual flight miles plus the 1K 100% bonus as well as ~$750 PQP based on the pqp.economiles.com website.

So a few questions:
1. Any reason not to book this through AC? There is no advanced seat selection either way I book this AFAIK.
2. Do I still earn the 100% bonus for AC on BE tickets? I can't find anything that says I don't.
3. Do I still get lounge access as *G even on a BE ticket?

Note: baggage is not important for this. I'll have one carry-on and one personal item only.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Oct 18, 2021 at 7:57 pm Reason: fixed pqp website address
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Can someone help check this for me? I find myself in a first-time situation two times over for the same ticket: a) booking directly with AC; b) booking basic economy. A last minute weekend trip has come up that I can book through United.com (UA-coded, AC-operated fully) or through AirCanada.com directly. It's WAS-YUL-xxx (outside N.A.).

United.com has $482 for BE and $632 for E. Again, AC operated.
AirCanada.com has $464 for BE for the same flights.

If I book through United I will earn $380 x 11 = 4,180 miles and $380 PQP. ($380 is the fare excluding all taxes).
If I book through AC I will earn 50% of the actual flight miles plus the 1K 100% bonus as well as ~$750 PQP based on the pqp.ecomiles.com website.

So a few questions:
1. Any reason not to book this through AC? There is no advanced seat selection either way I book this AFAIK.
2. Do I still earn the 100% bonus for AC on BE tickets? I can't find anything that says I don't.
3. Do I still get lounge access as *G even on a BE ticket?

Note: baggage is not important for this. I'll have one carry-on and one personal item only.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-RM
IIRC, partner PQP is based on flight distance x (booking class modifier) / (partner divisor of 5 or 6). It does not include a status bonus, so your AC PQP will be (flight distance) x (0.5) / 5
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by bocastephen
IIRC, partner PQP is based on flight distance x (booking class modifier) / (partner divisor of 5 or 6). It does not include a status bonus, so your AC PQP will be (flight distance) x (0.5) / 5
Thanks. Wasn't asking about PQP though. PQP was calculated through the website I mentioned and is correct. You are correct with the formula for PQP which is how I got ~$750. If the flights are 4,000 miles then it's 4,000 x .5 / 5 = 400. Times two for round trip.

The 100% bonus refers to RDM which is flight distance x 0.5 + 100%. My #2 question was whether the 100% still applies to Basic Economy tickets.

Thanks,
RM
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks. Wasn't asking about PQP though. PQP was calculated through the website I mentioned and is correct. You are correct with the formula for PQP which is how I got ~$750. If the flights are 4,000 miles then it's 4,000 x .5 / 5 = 400. Times two for round trip.

The 100% bonus refers to RDM which is flight distance x 0.5 + 100%. My #2 question was whether the 100% still applies to Basic Economy tickets.

Thanks,
RM
OK, got it - what website is that, I can't access pqp.ecomiles.com to check my own ticket plans
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
1. Any reason not to book this through AC?
AC has an overall ontime performance of ~50%. Their small planes are notoriously delayed and often cancelled. (for example the evening IAD-YUL is only on time 44% of the time)
Make sure to leave lots of time between the flights at YUL. You will get zero help from AC during IRROPS.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
OK, got it - what website is that, I can't access pqp.ecomiles.com to check my own ticket plans
https://pqp.economiles.com/

Do not used for regular non-bulk UA operated flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.