Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Hey folks - when UA updated their FF program to go to points instead of miles, someone created a handy chart I could stick in Excel. I'd love to recreate it for 2021 travel planning, but it's now out of date... is anyone aware of a newly updated chart or graphic? ...
That chart came from the wiki of this thread? That chart needs to be updated also, especially the AC change.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That chart came from the wiki of this thread? That chart needs to be updated also, especially the AC change.
Agree on both counts. I had it sitting on a spreadsheet on my hard drive, and I knew it came from SOMEWHERE on FT, but didn't know where. Helpfully, a moderator reposted my question into this thread...

But so far, the answer appears to be "No, there isn't an updated picture yet." :P Maybe we should redo it as a project... hmmm...
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
wow! You missed out on the $1500 fare last week,
Don't think the sale had extended to N. Africa.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Don't think the sale had extended to N. Africa.
Youre correct, but I was looking to go via Spain, then a short flight to Morocco.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 19, 2021 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Not sure if this was answered already, but how are PQPs earned in case of cancelled flight when one is booked in higher booking classes on none UA tickets?

My case: My original flight to IAD was cancelled due to technical issues. I was issued a HAM-FRA-IAD in Y (HAM-FRA) and E (FRA-IAD). Initially FRA-IAD was issued as G, not sure why this was changed to E later on. Anyways, I had the option to fly LH or UA. Initially I had a UA ticket but after the cancellation it was changed to an LH ticket. I opted to fly with LH mainly because I wasn't sure what amount of PQP and miles I would earn on UA. I have to admit that I personally prefer LH.

From your experience, should I have taken the UA flight instead since the booking class was changed to Y and G/E or was it the right call to stick to the LH flight?

Is there a way to figure out how much $$$ UA puts on LH issued tickets due to flight cancellations in Y and G/E in order to determine the PQP and award miles earnings?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Not sure if this was answered already, but how are PQPs earned in case of cancelled flight when one is booked in higher booking classes on none UA tickets?

My case: My original flight to IAD was cancelled due to technical issues. I was issued a HAM-FRA-IAD in Y (HAM-FRA) and E (FRA-IAD). Initially FRA-IAD was issued as G, not sure why this was changed to E later on. Anyways, I had the option to fly LH or UA. Initially I had a UA ticket but after the cancellation it was changed to an LH ticket. I opted to fly with LH mainly because I wasn't sure what amount of PQP and miles I would earn on UA. I have to admit that I personally prefer LH.

From your experience, should I have taken the UA flight instead since the booking class was changed to Y and G/E or was it the right call to stick to the LH flight?

Is there a way to figure out how much $$$ UA puts on LH issued tickets due to flight cancellations in Y and G/E in order to determine the PQP and award miles earnings?
A UA ticket does not become an LH ticket with rebooking. If you had a UA issues 016 ticket to start with then even when rebooked on LH you will get the $$$-based miles and PQD. If you were on a non-UA ticket, one initially issues by LH and that was changed during irop then usually the higher earnings from the irop rebooking will stick.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
A UA ticket does not become an LH ticket with rebooking. If you had a UA issues 016 ticket to start with then even when rebooked on LH you will get the $$$-based miles and PQD. If you were on a non-UA ticket, one initially issues by LH and that was changed during irop then usually the higher earnings from the irop rebooking will stick.
In my case the ticket number did change from 160... to 220.... and so did the accrual. I did earn according to LH Y and E class with respect to my ticket. What I'm wondering about, should I have taken the LH or UA flight.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case the ticket number did change from 160... to 220.... and so did the accrual. I did earn according to LH Y and E class with respect to my ticket. What I'm wondering about, should I have taken the LH or UA flight.
I've had this happen flying MCO-FRA-WAW on LH but a UA ticket. The MCO-FRA was delayed due to weather so I missed my FRA-WAW flight. LH rerouted me FRA-HAM-WAW and the new tickets switched to LH 220. Can't remember how it got credited or if I had to request ORC.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you had taken the UA flight, your earnings could have been basically anything. There's no way to tell now, and it's probably not worth losing any sleep over.

If, by the end of the trip, you wind up with fewer PQPs than you would have gotten from your original ticket, you can contact UA and inquire about Original Routing Credit.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

o.k., so LH did that as a day of departure rebooking at the airport? Your Y and E on LH will almost certainly have earned more than your original 016 ticket (I assume that is what you had?). On your original ticket receipt from UA you will find the earnings based on the original ticket; if they are more then UA should be able to give you an ORC. Once you take the UA flights it all comes down to a murky calculation and some of these FIM re-bookings can have a pity of a value. You probably did well with the LH flights for more than just the earning reason
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you had taken the UA flight, your earnings could have been basically anything.

Thank you both for your answers. And as you stated jsloan, the earning could have been anything. I just thought there would be a way of knowing how much $$$ value UA would assign in such a case.
[MENTION=75599]cfischer[/MENTION], yes, the ticket was initially a 160 ticket and it was changed on the day of departure.

In the end I also think we got a good deal and were lucky. The HAM-FRA flight was delayed, our seats reassigned and we ended up sitting in the big chairs FRA-IAD.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite
Estimating trip mileage

Hi all! How to I estimate the miles I will earn on a code share flight? I am flying EWR>PTY>GYE and return. I am in business class and it's United to PTY and then Copa to GYE and back. My reservation was made with Copa and my MP# is on the Copa itinerary. Thanks....
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Harmoncove
Hi all! How to I estimate the miles I will earn on a code share flight? I am flying EWR>PTY>GYE and return. I am in business class and it's United to PTY and then Copa to GYE and back. My reservation was made with Copa and my MP# is on the Copa itinerary. Thanks....
First step -- on the non-UA operated flights, get the distance -- Great Circle Mapper

second step -- use this https://pqp.economiles.com/ for just the non-UA operated flights

The third and hardest step is the UA flight earnings, they will be calculated in the standard UA method based on fare but getting the fare may be difficult.
It may be in the fare construction, may not.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harmoncove
what does it show under earnings on United.com for the UA segments?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: United 1K
Inconsistent partner earnings behavior?

I recently made a booking through AC with flights operated by AC and OU (Croatia), crediting to UA. Here are two sample earnings from the flights:

For the AC flight, the bonus miles earned are 150% of the base miles. For the OU flight, the bonus miles earned are 25% of the base miles. However, UA publishes 150% award miles for AC P fares and 125% award miles for OU C fares.

The way I read their website, the method of crediting miles used for OU looks correct: 100% base miles + 25% bonus miles for 125% earnings including fare class bonus.

The PQPs earned for each flight appear to be consistent with what the website publishes. For AC it was (base * bonus)/5: (2260 * 1.5)/5 = 678. For OU it was (base * bonus)/6: (852 * 1.25)/6 = 177.5.

So what's going on here? Did I get a windfall on AC or stiffed on OU? I don't have any other *A partner bookings this year to compare behavior. If AC is correct, that's an outstanding deal. I earned more RDM booking through AC than I would have booking through UA as a 1K. I earned 27413 RDM for this trip (BOS-YYZ-LHR-ZAG, DBV-ZRH-YYZ-SFO) off a $2,229.79 ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.