Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
Back to my previous inquiry.

With an intin of AMS-FRA-EWR, where AMS-FRA is LH,Y and FRA-EWR is UA,R/N, when booking on UA it reports PQP is 414, but when booking on LH (non 016 stock) I used the calculator which report 774 PQP.

Ostensibly the same price - give or take a few bucks

But that doesn't comport with the WIKI. What am I missing? Which is it when I book this itin on LH?
Expounding a little further on jsloan's answer above: if you book the 220- LH ticket, the central uncertainty is FRA-EWR on UA metal. UA will credit PQP based on what LH pays them for that segment, but you don't know what that number is in advance.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Confused

I saw a P fare SFO to BCN I did a calculation using one of those PQP calculators and it showing about 4500 PQPs Im a little confused here do I book this with UA or on the foreign carrier and as my calculation correct??

Old May 9, 2021, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I saw a P fare SFO to BCN I did a calculation using one of those PQP calculators and it showing about 4500 PQPs Im a little confused here do I book this with UA or on the foreign carrier and as my calculation correct??
No, you have BCA which is in Cuba.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TomMM
No, you have BCA which is in Cuba.
Thank you eagle eye TomMM. Sorry I was so excited fat finger entering :-) this is more reasonable. Nothing PQPs but an actual mileage..

Old May 28, 2021, 10:04 am

Greetings everyone - 1K member here, working (slowly) toward getting my PQP/PQF requirements to be able to make 1K for next year as well.

Planning two trips overseas (one to South Africa, via Europe) over the next few months. Wanting to maximize PQP, so thinking i'm going to try to book through a partner airline instead of United

The problem i've run into when i do that (in that past with Lufthansa) is although I get more points, the itinerary is through the partner, and when i try to pull up the itinerary on United, it says it can't becaues it's boked through the partner (which means i can't pick a seat, etc). I'm not even sure if i'm put on the upgrade list for the domestic legs of the united flights if i book through a partner airline am I?

Also, does it work the other way around? If i buy a ticket with United that includes a partner airline flight, can i select a flight on that partner airline? (example: I buy an itinerary to Europe, with one leg on United, and one leg on Lufthansa. Booked through United, i can select the seat on the united flight, but when i go to Lufthansa.com and try to pull up the itinerary, it says i can't)

Just trying to understand if i'm doing something wrong, or how you typically deal with this
Old May 28, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mysticalice
Greetings everyone - 1K member here, working (slowly) toward getting my PQP/PQF requirements to be able to make 1K for next year as well.

Planning two trips overseas (one to South Africa, via Europe) over the next few months. Wanting to maximize PQP, so thinking i'm going to try to book through a partner airline instead of United

The problem i've run into when i do that (in that past with Lufthansa) is although I get more points, the itinerary is through the partner, and when i try to pull up the itinerary on United, it says it can't becaues it's boked through the partner (which means i can't pick a seat, etc). I'm not even sure if i'm put on the upgrade list for the domestic legs of the united flights if i book through a partner airline am I?

Also, does it work the other way around? If i buy a ticket with United that includes a partner airline flight, can i select a flight on that partner airline? (example: I buy an itinerary to Europe, with one leg on United, and one leg on Lufthansa. Booked through United, i can select the seat on the united flight, but when i go to Lufthansa.com and try to pull up the itinerary, it says i can't)

Just trying to understand if i'm doing something wrong, or how you typically deal with this
A few things that are important for your situation:

- ticket issued by UA, 016 tickets, will earn based on UA rules no matter who operates the flight
- any UA operated segment earns based on UA rules no matter who issued the ticket; finding out how much that is in advance is difficult
- you will get on the UG list for the domestic UA segments, no matter whether UA or LH issued the ticket
- picking seats has nothing to do with who issued the ticket. Getting LH seats depend on LH rules and should be done on lufthansa.com (no advanced seat selection in Y)
Old May 28, 2021, 10:57 am

Looking to maximize on Air Canada to Europe

Looking to maximize on Air Canada to Europe In the premium fare thread I was suggested to post here. Originally I had a P class ticket to Spain originating from SFO. I transferred via YYZ both ways for the domestic/Canada and over the water flights were on AC as well. I had a schedule change for the return flight in October and if I take LH flights I only get 100% PQPs rather than 200%. Is AC the only carrier that gives 200% on key fares when crediting to UA?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

My original itinerary was give me about 5100 PQPs on a $1700 fare which I was quite happy with as Im in the hunt for 1K.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Looking to maximize on Air Canada to Europe In the premium fare thread I was suggested to post here. Originally I had a P class ticket to Spain originating from SFO. I transferred via YYZ both ways for the domestic/Canada and over the water flights were on AC as well. I had a schedule change for the return flight in October and if I take LH flights I only get 100% PQPs rather than 200%. Is AC the only carrier that gives 200% on key fares when crediting to UA?

My original itinerary was give me about 5100 PQPs on a $1700 fare which I was quite happy with as Im in the hunt for 1K.
Do you mean premium as in premium economy (PE)? PE is capped at 750 PQP per segment, so no matter percentage, you cannot earn more than 3000 PQP going to Europe on AC.

The cap for business/first is 1500 PQP, so if you fly US-Germany on LH and onward to another short haul destination, you won't earn too much beyond 3000 PQP on business.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Do you mean premium as in premium economy (PE)? PE is capped at 750 PQP per segment, so no matter percentage, you cannot earn more than 3000 PQP going to Europe on AC.

The cap for business/first is 1500 PQP, so if you fly US-Germany on LH and onward to another short haul destination, you won't earn too much beyond 3000 PQP on business.
it was a business class fare. That was booking in class P. I recognize the 1500 PQP maximum when crediting to UA however flying AC on their metal gives 200% were LH is only showing 100% on the calculator??
Old May 28, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

You are likely in a bad spot ... not much you can do here ... the 200% on AC P is very unique. October is a long way away ... if you can keep it in the state it is right now and wait how/when Canada is opening up then ask for AC rebooking. Once you accept and re-boom on LH you are stuck with 100% earn.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu

well, yes, but the cap is per segment ... so connecting in YYZ is a good way to maximize PQP!
Old May 28, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You are likely in a bad spot ... not much you can do here ... the 200% on AC P is very unique. October is a long way away ... if you can keep it in the state it is right now and wait how/when Canada is opening up then ask for AC rebooking. Once you accept and re-boom on LH you are stuck with 100% earn.

appreciate that, I wont look at LH then, I guess my reservation is in suspense. Should I speak with AC now and have them change some thing? I know October is a long time away and I was figuring maybe there will be even another schedule change down the road. I just havent dealt with AC, I asked a question on their Twitter feed when I was booking and they werent that fruitful with information.

I guess I dont want the reservation in suspense, so I guess I should contact them and get some thing on all AC metal, Is that what youre saying to do??

well, yes, but the cap is per segment ... so connecting in YYZ is a good way to maximize PQP!
Yes it is a great way of adding PQPs rather quickly when crediting to UA
Old May 28, 2021, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

appreciate that, I wont look at LH then, I guess my reservation is in suspense. Should I speak with AC now and have them change some thing? I know October is a long time away and I was figuring maybe there will be even another schedule change down the road. I just havent dealt with AC, I asked a question on their Twitter feed when I was booking and they werent that fruitful with information.
AC's (lack of) customer service is legendary.

I guess I dont want the reservation in suspense, so I guess I should contact them and get some thing on all AC metal, Is that what youre saying to do??
As your intent was to maximize PQPs, you definitely want AC metal.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
AC's (lack of) customer service is legendary....
100%. Sometimes, I might as well stand on a Maui beach and yell towards Canada instead of calling - I'm more likely to be heard..
Old May 29, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
AC's (lack of) customer service is legendary.
I might be in the minority here, but on a P fare that got totally messed up at the start of the pandemic, their phone agents were really helpful in finding available routings in the right fare classes, no questions asked.

Dealing with the refund was a huge pain tho. That one took nearly 3 months to get my money back.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion of AC's customer service is best for the AC forum. There is plenty of threads in the AC forum for this

Let's return to the thread's topic, PQP earning on on non-UA ticketed flights

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.