Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott Gold
Thanks, James!
WOW, so for example on A3, I would only earn approx 16% of the fare paid?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by milehighmel
Thanks, James!
Again, I would encourage punching specific itineraries into the tool and see how many PQPs it spits out. In some cases you'll end off well ahead (i.e. AC P fares net 200% RDM which works out to a PQP of 40% of distance flown, making it possible to net 1K status on a couple of well placed $1,000 P fares with the airline).

If you ever flew A3 it was never worth considering UA DollarsPlus to start. Why? Because A3 will happily halve the elite earn requirements when you fly 4 segments with them in any year. We're talking about re-qualifying for A3*Gold for 12,000 miles flown with 4 A3 segments!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by milehighmel
Thanks, James!
16% of the distance, not the fare, but only in Y/B/M/G/O on A3. Discount Economy would be less.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

It should also be pointed out that A3 *G is more beneficial to UA Gold in several respects. For one thing, A3 Gold gives you access to United Clubs in the US even if you're travelling on a strictly domestic United ticket. This in effect gives you a complimentary United Club membership. Sure you won't have a free E+ seating, free same day changes or Marriott Gold but other * benefits like extra bag, priority everything, IRROPs handling and the aforementioned lounge access will be there.

More details on A3 frequent flyer program can be found here

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
OK, I think I might have found my sweet spot to at least get to *Gold/UA Gold next year with two work tickets.

SQ LAX-SIN-LAX Non-Stop PE (Booking Class R) = 8,770 x 2 = 17,540 Miles for the Round Trip
17,540 X 0.167 (16.7%) PQPs = 2,929 PQPs to my MP Account. Is this correct??? for a $1,000 USD fare

SQ Premium Economy R Fare = $1,000 round trip plus taxes = $1,094 all in (this only matters for my company's fare cap reasons)
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos
OK, I think I might have found my sweet spot to at least get to *Gold/UA Gold next year with two work tickets.

SQ LAX-SIN-LAX Non-Stop PE (Booking Class R) = 8,770 x 2 = 17,540 Miles for the Round Trip
17,540 X 0.167 (16.7%) PQPs = 2,929 PQPs to my MP Account. Is this correct??? for a $1,000 USD fare

SQ Premium Economy R Fare = $1,000 round trip plus taxes = $1,094 all in (this only matters for my company's fare cap reasons)
Yes, that is correct.

The $1000 R fares likely won't last forever, but they're just one of many ways for people to take advantage of the new system.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by carlitos

That's correct, to my understanding. The PQP-calc app (UA PQP CALC) shows 2,924 PQPs, but that's close enough.

FWIW, for me, living in Asia, the SQ R fare is as low as $974 r/t (including taxes/fee), so not a bad option *if* I can convince myself to forego a lie-flat seat for such a long flight.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
I guess all in all this is one of those "the mileage run is dead, long live the mileage run" situations... Same game, different rules Personally I'm excited for more partner airline trips for cases that planned future GPU/PPs cannot clear at booking.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1984SW
That's correct, to my understanding. The PQP-calc app (UA PQP CALC) shows 2,924 PQPs, but that's close enough.

FWIW, for me, living in Asia, the SQ R fare is as low as $974 r/t (including taxes/fee), so not a bad option *if* I can convince myself to forego a lie-flat seat for such a long flight.
2,924 is probably correct as the percentage is properly 16⅔ not 16.7 (I rounded for the chart).

I agree with jsloan that the $1,000 PE fare is the anomaly here so enjoy it while it lasts
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UNITED
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
Since I completed the Backend I'll now focus on making the website more convenient. Unfortunately I'm not a skilled WebDev so it could take a while. This also is the first time I'm using Bootstrap.

I changed some of the sizes and after testing it on my iPhone X and 9.7" iPad it should work better now.

iPad: Full table visible in portrait and landscape mode. No scrolling needed.
iPhone: Full table in landscape mode, scrolling in portrait.
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems accessing this site. I have been trying for over a week now - and it always times out. " pqp-calc.com took too long to respond." My internet is functioning normally. Thanks. Would love to give this a try!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My usual route is LHR-SFO-LHR which I do 10 times a year minimum (and I did this specifically to make 1K). I have *G lifetime as 1.83MM. My PQD for 2018 to qualify was ~5.5K. I detest BA, not really keen on Virgin unless PE, and work for a company that insists on the lowest economy possible. I'm always going to be on UA metal if I want to go direct so do not see any way that I could game the PQPs to get me anything approaching platinum or 1K. Or could I? I have to say that I do think that I am a little lost in the complexity around this and whether I should be doing something different. But I don't see it. I think I am stuck on them with an 016 ticket if I want the benefits that come with Prem Gold in 2021.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'm always going to be on UA metal if I want to go direct so do not see any way that I could game the PQPs to get me anything approaching platinum or 1K. Or could I? I have to say that I do think that I am a little lost in the complexity around this and whether I should be doing something different. But I don't see it. I think I am stuck on them with an 016 ticket if I want the benefits that come with Prem Gold in 2021.
With your requirements, you will not be able to game the system.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ajharrison
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems accessing this site. I have been trying for over a week now - and it always times out. " pqp-calc.com took too long to respond." My internet is functioning normally. Thanks. Would love to give this a try!
Sorry for the late response. I've been busy over the weekend.
Are you using a VPN or proxy? This might be the issue.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UNITED
No. But if I'm the only one having troubles accessing it, I won't waste any more of your time. Got to be a problem somewhere on my end.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
2,924 is probably correct as the percentage is properly 16⅔ not 16.7 (I rounded for the chart).

I agree with jsloan that the $1,000 PE fare is the anomaly here so enjoy it while it lasts
Anyone have a FoundersCard membership? I see they claim "up to 15% off" SQ fares in all classes, and if it still books into R this makes things more interesting.

They say you have to book it through their portal so it's tough to tell if this actually works or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.