Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I booked a ANA ticket with a UA segment first. Both segments in K which should net 25%. MP # is connected.
When I went see the reservation in UA it says "0 miles earned this trip". Is this normal?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I booked a ANA ticket with a UA segment first. Both segments in K which should net 25%. MP # is connected.
When I went see the reservation in UA it says "0 miles earned this trip". Is this normal?
UA operated segments will book based on UA operated flight rules -- based on fare, not distance.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA operated segments will book based on UA operated flight rules -- based on fare, not distance.
Yes but the NH-operated segment shouldn't show 0?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Yes but the NH-operated segment shouldn't show 0?
Partner earnings are regularly displayed incorrectly. They may or may not correctly display before travel but they do correctly post, Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
No PQP IQ

Help me get my PQP groove on.

Three booking options all in Premium Economy: (and I'm a 1K, but don't think that matters). What is the PQP calculation for each?
1. AMS-EWR book on UA, UA metal
2. AMS-FRA-EWR, book on LH, but on UA metal for the FRA-EWR segment - seems to be Y and N booking class
3. AMS-FRA-EWR, book on LH, LH metal all the way - seems to be Y and N booking class

Explain it like I'm 10 years old. And does the N on LH transport over to R on UA? or do they still think its N?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps

Three booking options all in Premium Economy: (and I'm a 1K, but don't think that matters). What is the PQP calculation for each?
1. AMS-EWR book on UA, UA metal
2. AMS-FRA-EWR, book on LH, but on UA metal for the FRA-EWR segment - seems to be Y and N booking class ...
UA operated flights, PQP is calculated by air fare, regardless of who issued the ticket.
LH ticket N=UA R, UA will use R for PQP. The AMS-FRA segment will use partner PQP rules
... 3. AMS-FRA-EWR, book on LH, LH metal all the way - seems to be Y and N booking class ...
Will use partner PQP rules, use the calculator in the thread wiki.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:44 am

Schedule change and reduced PQP earnings

I'm a Croatian dual citizen and purchased business class flights from ORD to ZAG via FRA. While UA offers at least once flight a day, I specifically chose LH for the flights for the chance to ride upstairs on the 747. I'm a free agent (split between AA UA and WN as I live in Chicago) so was OK earning fewer points and PQPs for flying on partner metal. I was just notified of a schedule change on my return flight from Zagreb. As a result, there was only one ZAG-FRA flight (operated by OU) that would allow me to make the connecting flight back to Chicago. Unfortunately there were no business class seats available and I'm booked in coach for the ZAG-FRA flight. Given the short duration, I didn't care. My frustration, however, is that I now see i'm only earning 3,500 miles and 702 PQPs. In comparison, I'm booked on a second paid flight to Croatia later in the year and will earn 10,790 miles and 2158 PQPs for the same routing. The 1 intra Europe segment in economy killed my earnings. I wanted to arrive back in Chicago on the same day/time as I booked and this economy flight to FRA was the only way to do it. Do I have any recourse? Can I petition for the original mileage earnings as my routing and price paid didn't change, it was just the one segment that didn't have business class available? I normally wouldn't care that much but 7,000 miles is fairly significant and, for the first time in years, having full earnings for this flight would allow me to qualify for status later in the year. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2021 at 8:31 am Reason: Moved to master thread
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:29 am

Likely this is an error in the estimate provided by UA for the partner earning, which can happen, especially after schedule change Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary
Earnings will be predominately due to the business class flight on LH and that should not have change. Did the fare class change?
The good news is the correct earning will post

You can use the calculator in the thread's wiki to get a better estimate
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely this is an error in the estimate provided by UA for the partner earning, which can happen, especially after schedule change Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary
Earnings will be predominately due to the business class flight on LH and that should not have change. Did the fare class change?
The good news is the correct earning will post

You can use the calculator in the thread's wiki to get a better estimate
Thanks for the info. That was my hope, too - I couldn't imagine that just 1 of 4 segments being in economy would impact my earnings that much, especially as the TATL routes are still in business class and the price I paid for the tickets didn't change!
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAguy1979
Thanks for the info. That was my hope, too - I couldn't imagine that just 1 of 4 segments being in economy would impact my earnings that much, especially as the TATL routes are still in business class and the price I paid for the tickets didn't change!
Did you buy the ticket from UA or LH? That can have a massive effect on the number of PQPs you'll earn.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you buy the ticket from UA or LH? That can have a massive effect on the number of PQPs you'll earn.
Ticket was purchased through UA.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAguy1979
Ticket was purchased through UA.
OK, then you'll earn PQP based upon the fare, not the class of service or the distance.

It'll probably post properly, but if it doesn't, you can contact UA and they'll fix it. You'll get whatever you would have originally gotten, (The assignments to each leg may be different, though; don't worry about contacting them until after you've completed the entire trip).
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, then you'll earn PQP based upon the fare, not the class of service or the distance.

It'll probably post properly, but if it doesn't, you can contact UA and they'll fix it. You'll get whatever you would have originally gotten, (The assignments to each leg may be different, though; don't worry about contacting them until after you've completed the entire trip).
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm usually a free agent regarding airlines and alliances but 2 paid business class fares to Europe this summer warrant some greater research on maximizing UA. Cheers!
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Back to my previous inquiry.

With an intin of AMS-FRA-EWR, where AMS-FRA is LH,Y and FRA-EWR is UA,R/N, when booking on UA it reports PQP is 414, but when booking on LH (non 016 stock) I used the calculator which report 774 PQP.

Ostensibly the same price - give or take a few bucks

But that doesn't comport with the WIKI. What am I missing? Which is it when I book this itin on LH?

Last edited by HeidiInTheAlps; Apr 30, 2021 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to my previous inquiry.

With an intin of AMS-FRA-EWR, where AMS-FRA is LH,Y and FRA-EWR is UA,R/N, when booking on UA it reports PQP is 414, but when booking on LH (non 016 stock) I used the calculator which report 774 PQP.

Ostensibly the same price - give or take a few bucks

But that doesn't comport with the WIKI. What am I missing? Which is it when I book this itin on LH?
There's no way to know the answer to that question.

If you book on UA, the PQP will be based on the fare, less taxes and fees. That's it -- no further calculation required.

If you book on LH, then AMS-FRA will be based on the distance and fare class, as returned by the calculator. And FRA-EWR will be based on the fare allocated to that leg by UA. There is no way to know what that will be, except that it obviously won't be more than the total price you pay.

Generally, the calculator does not give useful information for UA-operated flights. The only reason that they're in the calculator in the first place is that a small number of UA tickets, which can only be obtained through travel agents, do work on a distance + fare class basis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.