Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by teledude
The wording has been updated on the UA site.
For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:
The TPG article was updated as well:
A United spokesperson confirmed that these caps apply per segment for tickets purchased through a partner. Additionally, these changes are not related to the reduced Premier qualifying thresholds for 2020, so expect them to stick around.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by junglematt
I've been waiting to buy my ticket on SQ22 for my trip at the end of the year, but I think today is the time to buy it.
I was also looking at SQ21/22 for the end of the year. I am slightly concerned that they say ďto be considered for PQP earning under previous rules.Ē

I wonder how much leeway this gives them in denying requests. For a flight like this, thereís a massive difference in PQP between the old and new rules. ~2000 or so vs 500/1000.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Makes sense. I mean it made NO SENSE at all to push people to fly Air Canada vs United. I guess this really only hurts Air Canada since now, the 200% earnings on all J class tickets became meaningless for PQP.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonpilot
You're not wrong in many ways, but at least for my flying, it isn't that simple. Based on the current program, I do push as much to UA as much as possible, even when I prefer the service on partners, but a major part of my flying is either within APAC or the EU, and I normally do 4-ish RTW C tickets a year, always booked on 016 stock.
If you book through UA, aren't you OK then? Or does this apply to 016 tickets also when operated by a partner. I thought it was only to tickets issued and operated by a partner:
And now, United’s back with a stealthy devaluation to its Premier program. Specifically, it’s limiting how many Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) you can earn from partner tickets according to an update to its website.

Specifically, for flights on or after July 1, 2020 and issued on or after April 29, 2020, United’s capping the maximum PQPs that you can earn on tickets issued and operated by its Star Alliance airline partners[.]

A United spokesperson confirmed that these caps apply per segmentfor tickets purchased through a partner.

. . .

You earn PQPs in six ways. The simplest is 1 PQP for every dollar of base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on United-issued tickets.

. . .

But now, the airline has almost removed that opportunity by imposing limits on how many PQPs you can earn per segment from partner tickets.

. . .

If you purchased your ticket on a partner prior to these new rules, you can submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line “OA PQP Review” to get your PQP earnings adjusted. Receipts shouldn’t be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Who cares about the lowered thresholds for 2020? Not much flying anyways. And we have status extended for 2021.

So in 2021, the thresholds go back up and I can fly 4 P fares and still not make Gold. So they don't want leisure flyers in MP any more.

Got it, look at other options when and if we're able to fly internationally again.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The loophole did provide all sorts of disincentives to fly UA, so it's only sensible to close it. But the original incentive for those based overseas to tie themselves to UA is also being thrown out - first by removing the exemption and now by killing any form of earnings. Somebody based in a *A hub might still find it worthwhile to stick with UA if the partner program is poor, but for those based outside a *A hub, there's really no reason at all to consider UA's program. Imagine the person whose long-haul travel is largely to the US, so uses UA a fair amount, but who also travels to other long haul and short haul destinations. That individual has fewer *A options, or has to include stops: previously *A might have been worth it, now not at all. Changing the multipliers would have been the more sensible route.
I think those fliers, based overseas, no longer having the yearly premier spend exemption, may well need to consider whether to switch to another FFP. This of course could be another *A program. For example, if one is based in Taiwan and one does a lot of intra-Asia and Europe travel, perhaps BR's MileageLands program is better for you.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
This is indeed extradordinarily unfriendly for non North American based flyers. Most of my travel is from UK to somewhere not in North America. I would have been happier if they capped the earnings on TPAC and TATL where taking UA is an option. But there of course are no UA flights from EU to Asia. I don't expect to be flying much in 2020 in any case since most conferences have been or are being cancelled in my area and I'm 1K now til Jan 22. I flew EU-China earlier this year on LH and earned well over 2000 for a single leg in C. For 2021, I'll probably switch to another *A, or revert back to Skyteam where I have lifetime plat and thus don't have to worry about requalifying... I'll miss those Plus Points though. Of course UA can do what they want, and it was nice whilst it lasted. I'll be sad to leave.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
This is indeed extradordinarily unfriendly for non North American based flyers. Most of my travel is from UK to somewhere not in North America. I would have been happier if they capped the earnings on TPAC and TATL where taking UA is an option. But there of course are no UA flights from EU to Asia.
Perhaps UA MP simply isn’t the right program for you? (just like BA’s loyalty scheme isn’t the best for me, being based in the US)

I don’t where people get the idea that every program needs to be perfect suitable (and perfectly fair) for everyone in the world.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If the "per-segment" 1000 PQP cap is the reality, there still can be some daylight between UA and partner PQP earnings on some really good P fares, depending on origination/destination. My $2250 P HNL-LHR would earn 4000 PQPs (HNL-YYZ-LHR-YYZ-HNL) instead of 7700+ under new cap vs somewhere south of 2000 PQPs on UA (same fare was available, and subtracting taxes/fees).

The ~4x multiplier in my AC vs UA example was too good to be true under $18k/$24K 1K PQP qualification scheme. It would be bonkers crazy under currently lowered requirements.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:01 am Reason: speling
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Perhaps UA MP simply isnít the right program for you? (just like BAís program isnít the best for me, being based in the US)

I donít where people get the idea that every program needs to be perfect suitable (and perfectly fair) for everyone in the world.
Main reasons I like MP:

- No YQ on redemptions (all the EU programmes I've looked at have pretty hefty YQ)
- last minute cancellations on award tickets (even for free if Plat or 1K)
- GPUs/Plus Points as a 1K -- I've had a very good redemption ratio on these, and the big plus is that I can use them on LH, not just UA (also potentially on ANA, but rarely fly them)
- 1K and Plat give GPUs/PP every year, whereas M&M only every other year, and only 1 longhaul upgrade.
- When I do fly to North America, good service, and irrops treatment.

Clearly there is no such thing as a perfectly fair programme, I agree. I was just saying that it's become much less attractive for me, and I guess most other non NA-based travellers, unless their main destination is NA and can thus fly UA easily.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If the "per-segment" 1000 PQP cap is the reality, there still can be some daylight between UA and partner PQP earnings on some really good P fares, depending on origination/destination. My $2250 P HNL-LHR would earn 4000 PQPs (HNL-YYZ-LHR-YYZ-HNL) instead of 7700+ under new cap vs somewhere south of 2000 PQPs on UA (same fare was available, and subtracting taxes/fees).
Since you can only be flying AC then the 1500 cap applies. So I assume the total PQPs from your fare will only be slightly less ( from the HNL- YYZ segment).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be as high as 6000, depending upon the distances. AC is a preferred partner.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The surprising thing to me about this Announcement is the timing. I totally agree that this was the right thing to do as I did not understand why UA was seeking pax to fly on OALs (*A) to earn status with UA as surely the point of a FF program is to encourage pax to fly your airline. It is the timing (as others have noted). This should have been announced earlier in the year. In announcing it now in the middle of a pandemic that has decimated the industry is confounding to me but I suppose they are starting to see an uptick in bookings for next year or hope to see an uptick and want that to be on UA not their *A partners. I will be booking flights with them for 2022 as I will be 1K - well through the period where I can use PlusPoints. The new PQP program does not work for me and why I want my cash refund for cancelled flights and not the ETCs. The ETCs tie me to UA for my future flights.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Yep this may push people toward AC. Beside your case of Europe-Hawaii, AC may earn one more PQPs than the other-continent passenger, i.e. West Coast-YYZ/YUL-Europe or East Coast-YVR-Asia/Pacific just because the cap is each segment and the shorter segment is prone to be quite long.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
It could be as high as 6000, depending upon the distances. AC is a preferred partner.
Ah - I missed that. The cap does erase a lot of the OAL boost, but preferred partners a little less...~6000 now vs 7700, in my case. Still 3x better than what UA would give me for same fare. Maybe the biggest hits might be from TATL and TPAC from East and West Coast, respectively. Not sure buying P fare, flying up to YYZ or YVR to catch an AC flight TPAC or TATL is going to provide more PQPs than just flying UA for same fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.