Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Perhaps I'm misreading it but these consolidator fares may earn RDM but will from now on earn 0 PQP?
Actually, it says that they will earn neither RDM nor PQP, and I suspect it’s no different than the case today (although I couldn’t find the appropriate language on the existing site). Certain tour and consolidator tickets exclude the ability to earn frequent flyer miles, and UA is codifying that here. I suspect — although, admittedly, I can’t prove — that it will work out that the excluded tickets are those that wouldn’t earn any miles on the partner airline anyway.

UA is not looking for a “gotcha” here. If they wanted to require Premier qualification only on paid J-class fares, they would just do it. Who would stop them?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:32 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by westerndh
Example 3:
UA metal LAX – EWR – LAX discount S ticket cost $500 for both UA and AC

UA S fare = 460 PQP (after subtracting taxes).

AC S fare = 10% of 4,908 miles or 491 PQP ~7% more.

Seems the big takeaway is discounted business/first wins big, and the super fare class table shown earlier becomes our new best friend.

Thanks in advance for the clarification
I'm confused about that example. You cannot fly AC metal LAX--EWR-LAX due to cabotage restrictions, so I'm assuming you are buying a ticket on AC for UA flights with AC code-share flight numbers. Doesn't the *A accrual of PQP require (a) ticketing on another carrier *and* (b) flying non-UA metal?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I'm confused about that example. You cannot fly AC metal LAX--EWR-LAX due to cabotage restrictions, so I'm assuming you are buying a ticket on AC for UA flights with AC code-share flight numbers. Doesn't the *A accrual of PQP require (a) ticketing on another carrier *and* (b) flying non-UA metal?
Yes. If you fly UA, you will earn according to the amount of the fare allocated to UA. The LAX-EWR-LAX example is not valid.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yeah, gives us "Tweeners" something some GS can't do

I'll never make GS, but I also never have issues qualifying 1K
So, that means I can fly ANA and LH all I want and get upgrades from PE to J and J to F. I can also fly AC as well, but no instrument upgrades

Kind of "Best of both worlds"

Now, I am sure there are GS who have NO problem requalifying GS and can do the same thing, but they were probably already doing it
exactly!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, KF
Thanks for the wiki and the examples. Hugely helpful as I try to plan Q1 travel. Am I calculating this correctly?

Routing: IAD-ZRH-NBO and then return NBO-FRA-IAD.

IAD-ZRH on United metal
ZRH-NBO on LX
NBO-FRA on LH
FRA-IAD on LH

P fare ~ $3,400

On 016 stock, I'd get roughly 3,200-3,300 PQPs (I haven't broken down all the taxes but that should be in the ballpark, right?)

Total mileage is about 31,800 round trip. On LH stock, I'd get 20 percent of distance flown for all segments except IAD-ZRH because it's on United metal, correct? So if I take that segment out, it's still ~ 27,600 miles. So I take 20 percent (P fares) of that and I get 5,520, plus the per-dollar amount that the IAD-ZRH leg accounts for? Even if I don't know how the dollar amounts are allocated per segment, I'm still much better off booking on LH, right?

Am I missing anything?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SGFlyer1
Total mileage is about 31,800 round trip. On LH stock, I'd get 20 percent of distance flown for all segments except IAD-ZRH because it's on United metal, correct? So if I take that segment out, it's still ~ 27,600 miles. So I take 20 percent (P fares) of that and I get 5,520, plus the per-dollar amount that the IAD-ZRH leg accounts for? Even if I don't know how the dollar amounts are allocated per segment, I'm still much better off booking on LH, right?

Am I missing anything?
I'm not quite sure where you are getting your mileage numbers. ZRH-NBO-FRA-IAD is 11,767 miles according to gcmap which would earn 20% = 2,354 PQP on LH/LX P fares ticketed on non-016 stock. So it's much, much closer to breakeven in this case.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by findark
I'm not quite sure where you are getting your mileage numbers. ZRH-NBO-FRA-IAD is 11,767 miles according to gcmap which would earn 20% = 2,354 PQP on LH/LX P fares ticketed on non-016 stock. So it's much, much closer to breakeven in this case.
Correct, here's the Lufthansa accrual page and the Swiss accrual page. Interestingly, should OP be booked into a PY fare, they would actually accrue more PQP since G/E fares pull in 150% RDM and N fares pull in 125% RDM. The OP should also be aware that different partners earn different RDMs, even for the same fare type. For instance, a P fare on AC pulls in 200% RDM whereas it's just 100% on LH Group of Airlines. Perhaps UA will rewrite the rules in due course but is something to keep in mind whilst there is still a game to play!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, KF
Yikes! Thanks for checking my math. Going back to the drawing board
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So an AC P fare that costs USD1020 covers a distance of 8500 miles (more if routed more carefully, with up to 8 segments).
Each of these would earn 3,400 PQP. You are done 1K for ~$5000 (5 trips, 40 segments), after you throw in some UA segments to make it 54

Perhaps I'm misreading it but these consolidator fares may earn RDM but will from now on earn 0 PQP?

Safe Travels,
James
In the original thread, UA Insider wrote bulk tickets will earn PQP and RDM based on distance divided by 5.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31616759-post214.html

So if a ticket earns 25% RDM (LKG fares) - you will earn 5% PQP based on distance on UA bulk tickets

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2019 at 12:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So an AC P fare that costs USD1020 covers a distance of 8500 miles (more if routed more carefully, with up to 8 segments).
Each of these would earn 3,400 PQP. You are done 1K for ~$5000 (5 trips, 40 segments), after you throw in some UA segments to make it 54

That of course assumes that UA doesn't further enhance the RDM earning table in the coming months.

"Never attribute to incompetence that which is adequately explained by malice"
- Smisek's Razor
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec

That of course assumes that UA doesn't further enhance the RDM earning table in the coming months.

"Never attribute to incompetence that which is adequately explained by malice"
- Smisek's Razor
... Duh? That goes without saying, and it's been discussed to death already.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
As suggested I'll post this here as well.

I wrote some PHP to calculate the PQP earnings on non016. It's still very much a work in progress since I'm missing most of the airlines and the fareclasses.
I was more focused on getting it to work with the data I had.

Over the next few days I'll try to add all missing airlines including fareclasses and percentages.

The formula works as follows:

Distance (from gcmap.com) * Percent (based on Carrier and Fareclass) / 5 (or 6 based on Carrier)
eg. FRA-EWR with LH in K would be 3780mi * 0.25 / 5 = 193PQP

You can try it if you'd like.

http://pqp-calc.com

Feedback is much appreciated

Since i busted my foot on friday I'm on sick leave and had the time to update the Database.
I included all airlines mentioned here.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:35 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
Since i busted my foot on friday I'm on sick leave and had the time to update the Database.
I included all airlines mentioned here.
Bravo! (On updating the database, not on being on sick leave...)

Would it be possible to set the minimum width of the table to be a % of browser window width? I have a display wide enough to see all the data without needing a horizontal scroll bar, so would like to see more of the table without scrolling. If not, it's not a big deal. I can manage to scroll for the simplicity of the app.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Bravo! (On updating the database, not on being on sick leave...)

Would it be possible to set the minimum width of the table to be a % of browser window width? I have a display wide enough to see all the data without needing a horizontal scroll bar, so would like to see more of the table without scrolling. If not, it's not a big deal. I can manage to scroll for the simplicity of the app.
Since I completed the Backend I'll now focus on making the website more convenient. Unfortunately I'm not a skilled WebDev so it could take a while. This also is the first time I'm using Bootstrap.

I changed some of the sizes and after testing it on my iPhone X and 9.7" iPad it should work better now.

iPad: Full table visible in portrait and landscape mode. No scrolling needed.
iPhone: Full table in landscape mode, scrolling in portrait.

Last edited by nubbeldupp; Oct 23, 2019 at 5:37 am
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:00 am
formerly 1984SW

OH. I totally forgot about tablets & phones. I don't web surf on either, being the old school fellow that I am. When I designed web sites, back dinosaurs roamed the earth, we only designed for computer monitors & laptop screens.

Regardless, keep up the good work. The web app works just fine the way it is. I like simple, elegant solutions like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.