Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Did they find the missing plug yet?

Sure would be nice to see the missing plug. Having the airframe to look at is probably sufficient but couldn’ t hurt to have the other half of the equation.

When I was in flight school many years ago getting licenses and A&P took AVI355 at the U of Ill aviation institute. Best class ever; Aircraft Accident Investigation taught by NTSB ready-team experts. It gave me some Keen insight into how these things are looked at. Fascinating.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jonu
I actually did a little more research on this. The plug door (which is what blew out on the Alaska flight) is actually row 30 on both the MAX 9 and the 900 ER (they have the same fuselage). So my preference of 21A/F is safe!
Row 21 is designated for overwing exit row on all UA narrowbody planes. If the plane has a second exit row, the row in front is row 20.

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Sure would be nice to see the missing plug. Having the airframe to look at is probably sufficient but couldn’ t hurt to have the other half of the equation.

When I was in flight school many years ago getting licenses and A&P took AVI355 at the U of Ill aviation institute. Best class ever; Aircraft Accident Investigation taught by NTSB ready-team experts. It gave me some Keen insight into how these things are looked at. Fascinating.
They have not found it as of Sunday, 7 Jan 10:50am EST.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by travelmad478
We were scheduled to be on UA1297 MSY-IAH this morning, which was cancelled; we got re-booked to UA1699 this afternoon, which is also supposed to use a 737-900 Max, but is not (yet) cancelled. Maybe they inspected it already? I am holding out hope that our vacation in Mexico does not get any more delayed.

Even if we do fly out this afternoon, we’ve lost 7.5 hours of our trip. UA gave us each $15 meal vouchers for this, but would I be successful trying to extract any more compensation out of them?

Even if inspected still can’t fly till FAA says it’s ok
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:09 am
Original Poster

My wife's flight is UA 1521 on Thursday SEA-IAD (and after that to GRU). We'll see but it's not looking good at the moment.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: Some more than others
Looks like they're anticipating this to go beyond today, my Max 9 flight tomorrow (Monday) morning just got subbed to a Max 8, thankfully I'm still up front.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Sure would be nice to see the missing plug. Having the airframe to look at is probably sufficient but couldn’ t hurt to have the other half of the equation. ....
Please follow the specifics of the AS incident in Section of MAX 9 Blows Out During Ascent (AS 1282 PDX-ONT)
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SCChris
Looks like they're anticipating this to go beyond today, my Max 9 flight tomorrow (Monday) morning just got subbed to a Max 8, thankfully I'm still up front.
4 F passengers on a lot of previously sold out 739MAXs are finding themselves a little farther back…

…and upgrades (if any) are a fewer at the moment.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
We were scheduled to be on UA1297 MSY-IAH this morning, which was cancelled; we got re-booked to UA1699 this afternoon, which is also supposed to use a 737-900 Max, but is not (yet) cancelled. Maybe they inspected it already? I am holding out hope that our vacation in Mexico does not get any more delayed.

Even if we do fly out this afternoon, we’ve lost 7.5 hours of our trip. UA gave us each $15 meal vouchers for this, but would I be successful trying to extract any more compensation out of them?
What credit card did you use to book? For instance Amex Platinum has flight delay/cancellation insurance.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cfischer
Just arrived on a 739M in DEN. Luckily my connecting flight is a 789 and return is 320/752.
bad timing with JPM in SFO this week plus a snow storm on the East coast … that’ll be a mess
Plus national championship for college football at IAH on Monday—very similar vibe here currently like when we’ve hosted Super Bowls
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium (LT Silver), UA Silver, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
What credit card did you use to book? For instance Amex Platinum has flight delay/cancellation insurance.
Travel insurance will only cover specific named causes of delay. I'm not sure if "plane grounded by FAA after wall flew off mid-flight" is one of the covered reasons but you'd likely have to consult your specific card's guide to card benefits to see if they'll cover it. Most cards cover all the major reasons (like weather) but different issuers and networks have different specific rules which can interact in weird ways with edge cases like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mtxing
Travel insurance will only cover specific named causes of delay. I'm not sure if "plane grounded by FAA after wall flew off mid-flight" is one of the covered reasons but you'd likely have to consult your specific card's guide to card benefits to see if they'll cover it. Most cards cover all the major reasons (like weather) but different issuers and networks have different specific rules which can interact in weird ways with edge cases like this.
Trip insurance will almost certainly cover this. Hardly a “edge case” in terms of qualifying. Maybe “unusual”. Fact remain clearly the flight(s) were canceled for reasons out of insured’s control.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Even if inspected still can’t fly till FAA says it’s ok
I mean the FAA EAD was can't fly until inspected. So yes, once inspected they can fly. The things airlines are waiting on is clarification of what constitutes an adequate inspection under the EAD..
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium (LT Silver), UA Silver, AS MVP
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Trip insurance will almost certainly cover this. Hardly a “edge case” in terms of qualifying. Maybe “unusual”. Fact remain clearly the flight(s) were canceled for reasons out of insured’s control.
No credit card I know of offers blanket coverage for everything outside of the insured's control. For example, the Venture X rather infamously only covers illness and not weather for its trip cancellation insurance; if your trip was cancelled due to severe weather (very obviously out of your control), they will not pay anything. Chase's cards are a bit better in that they cover weather too, but the point is, if it's not on their very specific list of covered circumstances, you will not be given anything.

The notion that these cards have trip insurance that covers almost everything out of your control is unfortunatly a very pervasive misconception, no doubt fanned by all the websites desperate to sell people on a premium credit card by inflating their benefits.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:21 am

IIRC there already was an issue with loose bolts (not plug related but still another ding on Boeings QC rep) on the Max @ a week ago but the JAL crash overshadowed that till this happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67838424.amp

Last edited by featheroleather; Jan 7, 2024 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mtxing
No credit card I know of offers blanket coverage for everything outside of the insured's control. For example, the Venture X rather infamously only covers illness and not weather for its trip cancellation insurance; if your trip was cancelled due to severe weather (very obviously out of your control), they will not pay anything. Chase's cards are a bit better in that they cover weather too, but the point is, if it's not on their very specific list of covered circumstances, you will not be given anything.

The notion that these cards have trip insurance that covers almost everything out of your control is unfortunatly a very pervasive misconception, no doubt fanned by all the websites desperate to sell people on a premium credit card by inflating their benefits.
Here are the T&C for American Express Platinum:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...s_10.09.23.pdf

B. Covered Losses:
Covered Losses include Covered Trip delays that result from the following:
1. Inclement weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from traveling or continuing
on a Covered Trip (e.g. severe weather that delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common
Carrier);
2. Terrorist Action or hijacking;
3. A Common Carrier’s equipment failure, as documented by the Common Carrier; or
4. Lost or stolen passports or travel documents.
Not a lawyer, but B.3 seems like it would cover this incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.