Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:31 pm

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
4/9/24, EWR-DFW Lunch. Preorder: “Tortellini in brodo”
Unfortunately, this is neither tortellini nor broth.

It was some sort of ravioli covered in cheese and what I presume was butternut squash.

Disappointing. Tasted about as it looks. Roll was hard and stale, and that cheesecake just seems to be the only dessert I see these days. It’s OK but boring.

Points for at least remembering to cater the plane.

“Tortellini in brodo” …. Or not.

——————-
4/10/24 - DFW-EWR Lunch. Preorder: Peruvian chicken

Now, on the flip side …. This Peruvian chicken may be one of the very bestdomestic dishes I’ve had in the last decade! It was a preorder choice and not available as an onboard choice (that was a Cobb salad or rigatoni pasta.)

The rice & veggie mix (carrot, onions & peas) wasn’t dry, had a surprisingly fresh flavor and just was a perfect complement to the chicken. The Peruvian chicken was a thigh; it was sauced nicely and the chicken itself wasn’t dry. Shockingly tasty. The sauce was probably the least good part of the meal but that’s not an indictment of it; just speaks to how well executed the rest of it was.

I’ve never seen the cheese-topped roll before, but it was a HUGE step up from the plain brick in the previous meal. Also very fresh (strange words for a UA meal, I know.)

… but the star of the show here was the apple cheesecake. The baked apple topping was substantial in flavor and texture. I mean, this is something I’d be happy to serve in my own home …. Those are strong words.

This will 100% be my go-to meal from
now on, and UA will be hearing from me anytime it’s not this good.

… Now that I know they *can*, I also know they *should* deliver like this, every time.

Peruvian Chicken …. A home run of a meal!
interesting our mixed experiences. I did get to try it, and regretted the choice. Mine didn’t have one large piece of chicken but rather an assortment of small chicken bits….
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver IHG Rewards Platinum Elite
I'm still really bummed. While I really like the United Club Fly in DEN, it just doesn't feel the same bring snacks onto the flight in First.
ll22949 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by TimothyDEN
I'm still really bummed. While I really like the United Club Fly in DEN, it just doesn't feel the same bring snacks onto the flight in First.
I love that lounge concept and have no shame bringing a cup of cheese cubes and grapes or a sandwich on in first if that is what I prefer.
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Had the cobb salad this week from ORD-LAX (UA609) and thought it was just fine, though I think it tastes better with balsamic vinaigrette than bleu cheese. Chicken was poor quality, but a satisfying meal overall.

​​​​​​This is what should be served on off meal times.
CJ99, choch345 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
4/9/24, EWR-DFW Lunch. Preorder: “Tortellini in brodo”
Unfortunately, this is neither tortellini nor broth.

It was some sort of ravioli covered in cheese and what I presume was butternut squash.

Disappointing. Tasted about as it looks. Roll was hard and stale, and that cheesecake just seems to be the only dessert I see these days. It’s OK but boring.

Points for at least remembering to cater the plane.

“Tortellini in brodo” …. Or not.
That is the butternut squash ravioli, normally only avail on premium transcon flights. Probably a catering mistake loading the wrong pasta dish.
SPN Lifer and dmurphynj like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by PTahCha
That is the butternut squash ravioli, normally only avail on premium transcon flights. Probably a catering mistake loading the wrong pasta dish.
My wife pre-ordered "tortellini en brodo" for a EWR-RSW last week and also was served this same dish...
Old Apr 15, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I normally like butternut squash ravioli, but this one was fairly flavorless. I've had worse UA meals, but certainly wasn't my favorite. Something was ... off ... about it.

I haven't yet seen a report of anyone actually getting the tortellini - I wonder if it actually exists?

And apologies to brooklynflyer82 - sorry you didn't like it. Mine was a solid chicken thigh - and I think the way it held up through cooking was as impressive to me as the dish itself. Normally inflight chicken I find dry -- this wasn't, and that really matters. I can't tolerate dry chicken - it tends to get stuck in the gullet for me and makes me feel pretty awful.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by physioprof
My wife pre-ordered "tortellini en brodo" for a EWR-RSW last week and also was served this same dish...
Seems like the common denominator is EWR.
physioprof and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
I've got both the Peruvian Chicken and Chicken Bordelaise as options on my next flight. Anyone try the chicken bordelaise? So many chicken dishes as of late!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by turbox3
I've got both the Peruvian Chicken and Chicken Bordelaise as options on my next flight. Anyone try the chicken bordelaise? So many chicken dishes as of late!
Had it twice last week...first one (IAH-PHX) was pretty tasty...second (PHX-IAH) was a bit chewy, but sufficient.
turbox3 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by turbox3
I had it last week SAT/IAD and enjoyed it.
turbox3 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I haven't yet seen a report of anyone actually getting the tortellini - I wonder if it actually exists?
A friend had it a couple of days ago and said it was really good. I pre-ordered it MIA-IAH this coming Friday. We shall see if it gets loaded ...
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Just want to add a big to the Peruvian Chicken dish, which I finally got to try after failing on my last couple of pre-order attempts. Lots of garlic, which I love! Best dish in quite a while, IMO.
choch345 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
DEN-YVR

Tried the sausage bread pudding after seeing reviews here- agree this is one of the better breakfasts I've had on United.

Really appreciated the FA adding the extra garnish to my bloody mary too

Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
Bloody MaryS!!
ll22949, choch345, st530 and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.