Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAschoolflyer
Was the brisket good? Have the same choices for a flight later this wee.
I had it this weekend, and it was quite good. TBH I was just glad my flight didn't get cancelled.

The mashed potatoes were definitely instant, same consistency of store brand.

It'll be my go to until I get sick of eating it, which will probably be mid February or until they drop it from the menu.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N777UA (Post # 15)
Pre-ordered my meal: beef brisket (see menu from my earlier post). . . .

Beef brisket with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach
That creamed spinach looks absolutely delicious! I am awe-inspired imagining that wonderful taste. 💚 ✈

This is a great incentive indeed to order the beef brisket.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR-SFO Premium Transcon pre-order options - the chicken and ravioli transcon specials are still there.

Originally Posted by N777UA

On the other hand - the new blueberry dessert was a winner! My new favorite meal element. I think it was a tart, lots of blueberries, custard center, and the crust was cakey and buttery. I won’t mind taking some time with this dessert with coffee on a future flight.

Delicious blueberry tart
I had that peach/blueberry tart on prior premium transcon flights. And yes, they are delicious.
N777UA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by N777UA
SFO-DEN, 787-9 Dreamliner

Pre-ordered my meal: beef brisket (see menu from my earlier post).

BLUF: Brisket is delicious, I would definitely get it again.
I was wow’d away by the new blueberry tart dessert.

Pre departure drink - purser asked for drink orders (“what would you like to drink?”). I got water, but heard coffee, tomato juice, and champagne around me.

After departure, hot towel, nuts too hot, and full can of Coke.

On-board meal choice was beef brisket or pasta rigatoni.

I was seated in the back of the front cabin, got served one hour and 15 minutes after departure. It was a “two coke” and “one bathroom break” wait. Had to eat quickly as there was only had 45 minutes remaining in the flight.

Roll was warm. Greens in the salad were fresh.

The beef brisket was very delicious. It was cubed, tender, and some pieces had fatty areas, but it is brisket after all (I did not mind it - easy to cut/bite off). The BBQ sauce is smoky, not too sweet. The mashed potatoes were creamy and buttery, also delicious.

Creamed spinach - big fail. Looked and tasted disgusting, left it on the plate.

On the other hand - the new blueberry dessert was a winner! My new favorite meal element. I think it was a tart, lots of blueberries, custard center, and the crust was cakey and buttery. I won’t mind taking some time with this dessert with coffee on a future flight.

Hot nuts and full can of Coke Zero

Delicious blueberry tart
Was that ramekin of nuts as-served, or after you ate some?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I still wish they'd bring back the pretzel roll. The braised beef, and green stuff on the side was good. The new tort replacing the old crumble was a major, and positive, update. I do wish the slice was slightly larger. Otherwise it was all good. Had it on a DEN-SEA flight over the weekend. (About the only thing that went right with all the Max 9 kerfuffle happening.)
ll22949 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:31 pm

I had the brisket today and it was really good, I mean it wasn't Texas BBQ by any means, but for a UA (admittedly the bar is very low) it was good.

The mashed potatoes were really good as well, the spinach was the worst part and even the spinach was ok.

The roll was served warm and was also fine, I felt like I won the UA First Class catering lottery.

I tasted the tart and it too was really good, but I didn't eat the whole thing because I was going to have dinner with friends and didn't want to be stuffed.

My seatmate had the bean concoction and he sent it back after one bite.

He described as absolutely gross.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N777UA (Post # 15)
Pre-ordered my meal: beef brisket (see menu from my earlier post). . . .

Creamed spinach - big fail. Looked and tasted disgusting, left it on the plate.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 17)
That creamed spinach looks absolutely delicious! I am awe-inspired imagining that wonderful taste. 💚 ✈
Originally Posted by kmersh (Post # 21)
The mashed potatoes were really good as well, the spinach was the worst part and even the spinach was ok.
Appreciation for creamed spinach is clearly very subjective.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:32 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Appreciation for creamed spinach is clearly very subjective.
Everything here is extremely subjective.
SPN Lifer, hhdl and Andrewwest1984 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I've tried searching last year's thread and there was no conclusive answer on what "snack" meant on a flight long enough where one would otherwise expect a meal in F/J. In particular do any of the experts here know whether ORD-CUN departing at 8:50, listed as "snack," will serve a substantial breakfast/lunch (don't care which) or just the snack basket? Oddly enough the northbound flight leaving at 15:40 shows "lunch."

Am I correct in understanding that for a domestic 777-200 there will be no pre-order?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I've tried searching last year's thread and there was no conclusive answer on what "snack" meant on a flight long enough where one would otherwise expect a meal in F/J. In particular do any of the experts here know whether ORD-CUN departing at 8:50, listed as "snack," will serve a substantial breakfast/lunch (don't care which) or just the snack basket? Oddly enough the northbound flight leaving at 15:40 shows "lunch."

Am I correct in understanding that for a domestic 777-200 there will be no pre-order?

Thanks!
So this is really bizarre. ORD-CUN is well over 900 miles so shouldn't have been affected by the latest Kirby Kuts. But on both flight status for tomorrow, and when looking to book, it lists both the 8:50AM and 9:15AM flights as "Snack" in first. And in fact, both of these flights are listed as Snack flights on multiple days I that did a booking search on.

This should be a breakfast flight. So there's either a glitch in the system, or another round of cuts is coming that we don't know about. I mean, considering that the flight attendants have to prepare the cabin for arrival within 15 minute of takeoff now, I'm not sure how'd they serve a meal anyway

If it does really turn out to be a snack, it will just be a basket with some salty and sugary crap. But it really should be breakfast. Let us know what happens.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-LAX 10 Jan 630 pm 739 seat 1F

PDB of water or sparkling.

Nuts with preferred beverage. No hot towel service.

I had pre-ordered the brisket and concur with other positive reviews. Al three elements (beef, mashed potatoes, spinach/chard) were tasty. Pro-tip: probably better to eat this dish with the spoon.

Salad very fresh, bread was warmed, and the blueberry custard cake was a home run. Also, the napkin had a buttonhole.

Another good crew.

geckoflyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
As above, brisket was solid
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by KabAir
So this is really bizarre. ORD-CUN is well over 900 miles so shouldn't have been affected by the latest Kirby Kuts. But on both flight status for tomorrow, and when looking to book, it lists both the 8:50AM and 9:15AM flights as "Snack" in first. And in fact, both of these flights are listed as Snack flights on multiple days I that did a booking search on.

This should be a breakfast flight. So there's either a glitch in the system, or another round of cuts is coming that we don't know about. I mean, considering that the flight attendants have to prepare the cabin for arrival within 15 minute of takeoff now, I'm not sure how'd they serve a meal anyway

If it does really turn out to be a snack, it will just be a basket with some salty and sugary crap. But it really should be breakfast. Let us know what happens.
That is very odd, but Kirby's Kutbacks used to be snacks, except for dinner for a load of domestic flights prior to the pandemic, so it would not surprise me to see them go back to that, sadly.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SFTNYC

Thanks!
You can pre-order on widebody flights.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by kmersh
That is very odd, but Kirby's Kutbacks used to be snacks, except for dinner for a load of domestic flights prior to the pandemic, so it would not surprise me to see them go back to that, sadly.
Are you referring to this? If so, that was rolled back in 2018, and UA went back to having full meals for 900+ mile flights, obviously with exceptions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.