UA 28 SIN to SFO 12 hours late

Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Connect from RIC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Posts: 68
UA 28 SIN to SFO 12 hours late

I know that EU 261 doesn’t apply, but seriously, delaying the evening flight 27 Dec 2200:until 28 Dec 1100 due to personnel crew rest issues…what are the compensation proptocls?
Apollosmom is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:40 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,602
Originally Posted by Apollosmom
I know that EU 261 doesn’t apply, but seriously, delaying the evening flight 27 Dec 2200:until 28 Dec 1100 due to personnel crew rest issues…what are the compensation proptocls?
Well, the first thing I'd do is look for alternate routes that might work better and ask if you can be put onto those -- in particular, ANA.

But the answer is that UA will cover a hotel, unless Singapore is your home, and will likely provide a small ETC for goodwill, the magnitude of which is likely to depend upon status. You'll probably also get a small meal voucher.
lsquare and SPN Lifer like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:03 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,657
UA29 on December 24 and thus UA28 on December 25 were delayed by 12 hours. I suspect your crew for UA28 on December 27 were the ones who flew UA29 on December 24, and for one reason or another UA couldn't/wouldn't get a whole different 789 flight and cabin crew over to SIN in time to operate your flight on time.
SPN Lifer, jsloan and wrp96 like this.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 8,232
Originally Posted by dkc192
for one reason or another UA couldn't/wouldn't get a whole different 789 flight and cabin crew over to SIN in time to operate your flight on time.
That crew would have had to rest after they arrived in SIN, too. Using the crew that is already there, in long haul ops, is almost always faster.
jsloan, wrp96, runner450 and 2 others like this.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:45 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 60,231
I’m wondering if UA would put someone on SQ if it is simply a Coach ticket. In premium classes I highly doubt this would be an option.

Does ANA have timely night service? I think if the evening UA SIN-SFO delays to early the next morning might as well stick with UA. If it is UA2 impacted, then ANA via Japan would be logical.
lsquare likes this.
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:53 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,602
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I’m wondering if UA would put someone on SQ if it is simply a Coach ticket. In premium classes I highly doubt this would be an option.
It’s worth asking about, but there have been numerous failures reported in trying to get SQ to accept a UA IRROPS ticket even when agents were willing to do it.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does ANA have timely night service?
Upon further review, it appears that ANA is not currently running a nighttime departure. I agree, that makes things complicated.
jsloan is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:15 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ASE
Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,362
Yep, i learned the hard way that UA doesn't rebook on SQ out of SIN when my SIN-SFO flight cancelled earlier this year. I was able to rebook on ANA to NRT and UA NRT-SFO but got in much later than scheduled. And it was my 1MM flight, too! Go figure!
UAPremierGuy is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: ba silver
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yep, i learned the hard way that UA doesn't rebook on SQ out of SIN when my SIN-SFO flight cancelled earlier this year. I was able to rebook on ANA to NRT and UA NRT-SFO but got in much later than scheduled. And it was my 1MM flight, too! Go figure!
When it comes getting rebooked on other airlines I think it comes down to the will of the individual agent.

I have been rebooked by US agents a couple of times on Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific and Air Canada. Sometimes you just get a lazy agent who just won't do their job.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2023 at 12:26 pm Reason: Changing US laws is not a UA unique topic and best handled in OMNI/PR
stevendorechester is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:38 pm
  #9  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,674
I've always preached to get an EF subscription and have options with space in the cabin at hand when IRROPs hits. Usually 2 benefits: 1) The agent often sees that you understand the system and 2) a good part of their work is done for them (which I have noticed a lot of them appreciate)
PLeblond is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,216
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yep, i learned the hard way that UA doesn't rebook on SQ out of SIN when my SIN-SFO flight cancelled earlier this year. I was able to rebook on ANA to NRT and UA NRT-SFO but got in much later than scheduled. And it was my 1MM flight, too! Go figure!
I was rebooked onto SQ when my SFO-SIN cancelled last summer (mechanical). Rebooking on UA would have made me miss my meetings. It took a little pushing to get the 1K phone agent to consider this, but then it just took a long time to make it happen. And I had to take a premium economy seat (on SQ, the PE-only plane) when I had been booked in business (on UA).
jonu is online now  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 1:26 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,939
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yep, i learned the hard way that UA doesn't rebook on SQ out of SIN when my SIN-SFO flight cancelled earlier this year. I was able to rebook on ANA to NRT and UA NRT-SFO but got in much later than scheduled. And it was my 1MM flight, too! Go figure!
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
When it comes getting rebooked on other airlines I think it comes down to the will of the individual agent.

I have been rebooked by US agents a couple of times on Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific and Air Canada. Sometimes you just get a lazy agent who just won't do their job.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I’m wondering if UA would put someone on SQ if it is simply a Coach ticket. In premium classes I highly doubt this would be an option. Does ANA have timely night service? I think if the evening UA SIN-SFO delays to early the next morning might as well stick with UA. If it is UA2 impacted, then ANA via Japan would be logical.
Originally Posted by jonu
I was rebooked onto SQ when my SFO-SIN cancelled last summer (mechanical). Rebooking on UA would have made me miss my meetings. It took a little pushing to get the 1K phone agent to consider this, but then it just took a long time to make it happen. And I had to take a premium economy seat (on SQ, the PE-only plane) when I had been booked in business (on UA).
In the summer of 2022, and I think I have reported here on FT at the time, UA1 was canceled due to mechanical issues. At SFO, a UA rep put me on the late evening SFO-ICN flight with OZ. Then after a long layover, I took the later OZ ICN-SIN flight. This was in coach. Still worth it because I didn't have to wait the following day to take UA1.

​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
lsquare is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:08 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Posts: 14,861
Originally Posted by lsquare
In the summer of 2022, and I think I have reported here on FT at the time, UA1 was canceled due to mechanical issues. At SFO, a UA rep put me on the late evening SFO-ICN flight with OZ. Then after a long layover, I took the later OZ ICN-SIN flight. This was in coach. Still worth it because I didn't have to wait the following day to take UA1.

​​​​​
Did you call to get the original routing credit for those lifetime miles?
jpezaris and lsquare like this.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:09 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,939
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Did you call to get the original routing credit for those lifetime miles?
Yes, I did! However, it took a while due to the fact that I was busy and 1K desk reps are powerless to do something like that. It took multiple phone calls over a span of a couple of months before I was able to get customer care on the line to address the issue once and for all.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
lsquare is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Posts: 772
Originally Posted by jonu
I was rebooked onto SQ when my SFO-SIN cancelled last summer (mechanical). Rebooking on UA would have made me miss my meetings. It took a little pushing to get the 1K phone agent to consider this, but then it just took a long time to make it happen. And I had to take a premium economy seat (on SQ, the PE-only plane) when I had been booked in business (on UA).

An upgrade then !
BRITINJAPAN4 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:22 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by Apollosmom
I know that EU 261 doesn’t apply, but seriously, delaying the evening flight 27 Dec 2200:until 28 Dec 1100 due to personnel crew rest issues…what are the compensation proptocls?
The compensation is a well-rested crew that will safely convey you the 8400 miles from SIN to SFO.

Oh, and you should get a hotel and meal vouchers. Safe travels...
757FO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.