Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9

Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond
I had asked for a manual reevaluation of my account so that I can be reconsidered for GS. After multiple form letters stating I can do the challenge, I did get the following:

"Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

We appreciate your commitment to United® in 2023 and thank you for making us your choice of airline so often throughout the year. We've carefully reviewed your request to be reconsidered for United Global Services® status. Unfortunately, based upon your flight activity, we are unable to offer you United Global Services status for 2024.

As you plan your travel for 2024, here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • United Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top Premier members. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
  • We evaluate your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier members over recent consecutive years.
  • Usually, members invited to United Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabin or fully refundable tickets.
On behalf of everyone at United, thank you for your commitment and valued business. We appreciate that you make us your choice in the skies and look forward to seeing you on board soon.

As a Global Services member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus."

So there you have it. Most of my flights are domestic and purchased at the least-expensive coach fare (not basic economy though), and I reach 1K spend on that (1K the hard way with each roundtrip costing $200-$500, with weekly trips from EWR to somewhere within the US). Beyond that I also travel internationally in Polaris about 4-5 times a year and those tickets cost anywhere between $6K and $15K. Adds up to about 65,000 PQPs on United in total. Although this was adequate for GS renewals for years, this is no longer the case. I was offered a challenge. We shall see - most of my international flights are after July 1.

Getting to 4MM is achievable for me if I continue flying at the rate I do, but it would take another 5-6 years. By then, who knows what the rules will be.
Doppy, renila, kevino and 4 others like this.

Last edited by nntman; Jan 22, 2024 at 7:28 pm Reason: Missed a few words
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by nntman
. . . Getting to 4MM is achievable for me if I continue flying at the rate I do, but it would take another 5-6 years. By then, who knows what the rules will be.
Were I in your shoes, and had the time money, I’d fly more often on N fares to reach 4 million faster. Winter is coming!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
To be clear, it appears to be large corporate discount contracts ($10M-$150M) that have restrictions around GS applied, where discounts are significant. Fares are sold and ticketed as J, but can have as much as a 50-60% discounts applied. Small and Medium sized businesses getting the 5-12% discounts do not appear to be affected in the same way.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Well -- tonight my wife convinced me to take the challenge -- so I cancelled my XN/PN flight back to EWR and Spent $8k for the same one way flight... Another $10k and we are GS for another year -- we will make that in a few weeks.... I think trying to figure out UA GS requirements is fools gold -- but it does create a lot of posts!

As many of you know I would normally never does this but due to our unique situation -- this will save us so much money -- the ability to use XN/PN saves us $50k per year easy....
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well -- tonight my wife convinced me to take the challenge -- so I cancelled my XN/PN flight back to EWR and Spent $8k for the same one way flight... Another $10k and we are GS for another year -- we will make that in a few weeks.... I think trying to figure out UA GS requirements is fools gold -- but it does create a lot of posts!
Right there with you in crazy land. Canceled XN/PN back to IAD they day after this posted, and bought D instead. Debated knocking the rest out with two tickets in the 6k+ range, but being on sabbatical til end-March I might try and use it "practically" on trips I need to take anyways and "suffer" 1K for a month. As you said, I'll have 8+ international trips later this year, and doing them "free" in XN/PN will save tens of thousands. It's crazy, but it's where we are.
renila, uanj and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Right there with you in crazy land. Canceled XN/PN back to IAD they day after this posted, and bought D instead. Debated knocking the rest out with two tickets in the 6k+ range, but being on sabbatical til end-March I might try and use it "practically" on trips I need to take anyways and "suffer" 1K for a month. As you said, I'll have 8+ international trips later this year, and doing them "free" in XN/PN will save tens of thousands. It's crazy, but it's where we are.
Misery loves company / see you in GS soon….
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
As you said, I'll have 8+ international trips later this year, and doing them "free" in XN/PN will save tens of thousands. It's crazy, but it's where we are.
Sorry, but what is "crazy" about spending $18K to save tens of thousands?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Misery loves company / see you in GS soon….
Hopefully run into you in the 1K pre-boarding scrum sometime during the peon month. haha
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
The GS Scrum may be even worse!
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The loud stomping off to other carriers has been replaced by the muted sounds of shuffling back. I guess UA's predicted outcome is being realized
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire Elite + Kimpton Inner Circle, AA Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The loud stomping off to other carriers has been replaced by the muted sounds of shuffling back. I guess UA's predicted outcome is being realized
Well UA and the FAA has made the choice for me since UA has cancelled all of my recent flight attempts with MAX9 stuff so it’s been nice to try out Delta, AA and even some southwest for short stuff. My itinerary this week saw me booked/rebooked on 13 segments for what should have been a 4 segment trip. I cancelled after outbound and return both turned into domestic 30h overnight journeys. Comical rebooking attempts. And also great seeing upgrades cleared into F when my paid J ticket lands me in a middle eco seat on rebooking. And I still technically have GS.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by k_den
Well UA and the FAA has made the choice for me since UA has cancelled all of my recent flight attempts with MAX9 stuff so it’s been nice to try out Delta, AA and even some southwest for short stuff. My itinerary this week saw me booked/rebooked on 13 segments for what should have been a 4 segment trip. I cancelled after outbound and return both turned into domestic 30h overnight journeys. Comical rebooking attempts. And also great seeing upgrades cleared into F when my paid J ticket lands me in a middle eco seat on rebooking. And I still technically have GS.
I flew my first trip on a non-United domestic carrier this week. They status matched me to their 1K level. First class ticket that cost less than what I would have paid on United. The food was at least as good as Polaris. Better presentation. The inflight entertainment was more extensive and included live TV. The lounge at my base airport is new and nicer than the new United lounges at the same airport. And much less crowded. The airline’s credit card that includes lounge access also allows lounge access to authorized users with guests. A huge advantage over the United club card which I will be downgrading. And it came with 100,000 thousand miles after meeting a spending threshold which I met 3 days after activating the card.
In short, if I run into Scott Kirby at one of his entertainment events, I’ll buy him a beer. He did me a favor.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:02 pm

Flew my first flight of the challenge -- about halfway to the $18k now... I checked mystatus and don't see the GS challenge any more -- has it disappeared for anyone else?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Challenge still on Mystatus

Flew my first flight of the challenge -- about halfway to the $18k now... I checked mystatus and don't see the GS challenge any more -- has it disappeared for anyone else?
Still there for me, even though I will not meet it.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:12 pm

Checked my status earlier today and it accurately reflected what I had spend towards the 18k. Then checked this evening and it has disappeared. Replaced with a message that "they can't confirm GS for 2024 and to keep flying United."
Just refreshed and the challenge tracker is back.
bmwe92fan likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 24, 2024 at 7:59 pm Reason: Combine consecutive, almost simultaneous posts of same member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.