Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9


Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:29 am
  #766  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,208
Originally Posted by greenpau
ÖVery interested in what this may mean for the total GS population this year post-Jan 31
Could be a significant drop (percentage-wise) in GS, less percentage (upward) change in 1K.

One nice thing in LAS is some of the GAs (for whatever reason) announce the number of GSs and 1Ks just before boarding. 6am flight this morning to IAH was 3 GS and 18 1Ks. A one-third drop in GS would result in only a one-twentieth (roughly) increase in 1Ks.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:36 am
  #767  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K since 2017, Marriott Ambassador since 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Agreed, which is why I think the poster might be unknowingly confusing the two.
OK explain details to me please. Again there were flights I often paid $1500+ in prior days to flight upgrading a $500-$600 one-way fare paid by company. Still $2000 one-way. My question is if revenue and margin is ultimate goal how much over $2000 can they get from SFO- BOS one way on any type of ticket? This is just example of many similar flights in 2023, some to smaller hubs.
Johndoealt3 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:01 pm
  #768  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Somewhere in EWR
Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Posts: 860
Originally Posted by Johndoealt3
OK explain details to me please. Again there were flights I often paid $1500+ in prior days to flight upgrading a $500-$600 one-way fare paid by company. Still $2000 one-way. My question is if revenue and margin is ultimate goal how much over $2000 can they get from SFO- BOS one way on any type of ticket? This is just example of many similar flights in 2023, some to smaller hubs.
If you up-fare, purchase an economy ticket from your work platform and then call GS and upgrade yourself, versus just clicking the buy up option on the website you are actually purchasing a FC fare and this should count towards the challenge as I do this on many of my domestic fares since I can only buy FC on INTL with our work platform. If this didn't count about 30-40% of my UA spend would be gone and I certainly wouldn't be GS.
AugustusM is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:39 pm
  #769  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 160
You can easily "up-fare" on the website. DO NOT CLICK UPGRADE. Of course you can also call

Let's say you're on a round trip. Go to change flight, for each leg click the "change this flight" button but don't change the origin, destination, or date.
Then, you'll see a list of flights on the same dates as your original trip. If you're booked in Economy, it will show "not available" for the economy seats on that flight, but should show an ability to book to First if there are seats available. The dollar amount displayed is the fare difference In this way, you're not upgrading, you're changing your ticket to a regular first class fare. This should provide normal PQP, GS $, and all other credits as if you'd bought First outright.

In my experience, the fare difference through upfaring is the same or very similar to what they offer as upgrade offers. I never purchase the upgrades and instead up-fare via the method above.

United does give PQP for upgrades, but it's not the same as the above. It's a separate process which you can see because upgrade PQPs hit your account several days after travel.
bagspacked is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:43 pm
  #770  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K since 2017, Marriott Ambassador since 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by AugustusM
If you up-fare, purchase an economy ticket from your work platform and then call GS and upgrade yourself, versus just clicking the buy up option on the website you are actually purchasing a FC fare and this should count towards the challenge as I do this on many of my domestic fares since I can only buy FC on INTL with our work platform. If this didn't count about 30-40% of my UA spend would be gone and I certainly wouldn't be GS.
OK thank you

Originally Posted by bagspacked
You can easily "up-fare" on the website. DO NOT CLICK UPGRADE. Of course you can also call

Let's say you're on a round trip. Go to change flight, for each leg click the "change this flight" button but don't change the origin, destination, or date.
Then, you'll see a list of flights on the same dates as your original trip. If you're booked in Economy, it will show "not available" for the economy seats on that flight, but should show an ability to book to First if there are seats available. The dollar amount displayed is the fare difference In this way, you're not upgrading, you're changing your ticket to a regular first class fare. This should provide normal PQP, GS $, and all other credits as if you'd bought First outright.

In my experience, the fare difference through upfaring is the same or very similar to what they offer as upgrade offers. I never purchase the upgrades and instead up-fare via the method above.

United does give PQP for upgrades, but it's not the same as the above. It's a separate process which you can see because upgrade PQPs hit your account several days after travel.
Thank you!
AugustusM likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2024 at 3:31 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Johndoealt3 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:27 pm
  #771  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO / LHR
Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,050
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Fascinating....seems the new rules are: no corporate program travelers welcome - unless company nominates you from their allotment. However, if you AREN'T corporate, you get a challenge pretty much regardless of 2023 spend.
Seems that way. Apple is rumored to be $150M in annual value for UA, and Roche, McKinsey, Facebook, Google all $30M+ and they get allocated significant GS and other amenities per year. Seems this is designed to scale back double dipping and give control back to corporate travel managers. The Corporate Travel Manager I spoke to that I referenced upthread mentioned that discounts were expanded for 2024, as were the amenity pools.
SPN Lifer likes this.
greenpau is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:13 pm
  #772  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 1,854
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Could be a significant drop (percentage-wise) in GS, less percentage (upward) change in 1K.

One nice thing in LAS is some of the GAs (for whatever reason) announce the number of GSs and 1Ks just before boarding. 6am flight this morning to IAH was 3 GS and 18 1Ks. A one-third drop in GS would result in only a one-twentieth (roughly) increase in 1Ks.
IAH-DEN this morning had 26 1K's as per the GA announcement!. She did not announce the number of GS but I boarded with the only other GS who pre-boarded. I asked him where he was based and if he had re-qualified and he said "IAD and how would I know if I had or hadn't"?
limey1K is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:54 pm
  #773  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,673
Originally Posted by limey1K
IAH-DEN this morning had 26 1K's as per the GA announcement!. She did not announce the number of GS but I boarded with the only other GS who pre-boarded. I asked him where he was based and if he had re-qualified and he said "IAD and how would I know if I had or hadn't"?
Matches my experience in DC. My employer was rumored to be $20M+ with United, and of the 12 GS I knew only one could tell you what it was and what the benefits were. Maybe it's a public sector thing, but these 11 (all earned by flying - not gifted by travel managers) were certainly nowhere near as savvy as the crowd here on FT.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:55 pm
  #774  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by limey1K
IAH-DEN this morning had 26 1K's as per the GA announcement!. She did not announce the number of GS but I boarded with the only other GS who pre-boarded. I asked him where he was based and if he had re-qualified and he said "IAD and how would I know if I had or hadn't"?
We are definitely a subset on this board...
bagspacked is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:06 pm
  #775  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Posts: 2,293
Originally Posted by limey1K
IAH-DEN this morning had 26 1K's as per the GA announcement!. She did not announce the number of GS but I boarded with the only other GS who pre-boarded. I asked him where he was based and if he had re-qualified and he said "IAD and how would I know if I had or hadn't"?
Was he headed on to MFR? If so, he might be one of the dozens there that think Global Entry is the same as Global Services!
porciuscato is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:00 pm
  #776  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 16
Can anyone tell me how it’s possible not to get GS after 7 years straight with this insane spend???…. all on UA metal/international and organic!


And almost comically, not eligible for challenge and denied again after a review.



Nim556 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:17 pm
  #777  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,673
Originally Posted by Nim556
Can anyone tell me how itís possible not to get GS after 7 years straight with this insane spend???Ö. all on UA metal/international and organic!


And almost comically, not eligible for challenge and denied again after a review.
not sure if youíve read the rest of this thread but Iím guessing you traveled on a corporate account / with a corporate discounted fare program? Seems everyone w that criteria has been dropped from GS for 2024.
SPN Lifer likes this.
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:25 pm
  #778  
Moderator: Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,776
Originally Posted by Nim556
Can anyone tell me how itís possible not to get GS after 7 years straight with this insane spend???Ö. all on UA metal/international and organic!
And almost comically, not eligible for challenge and denied again after a review.
That does seem crazy. Where are you based?
eightblack is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:57 pm
  #779  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
not sure if youíve read the rest of this thread but Iím guessing you traveled on a corporate account / with a corporate discounted fare program? Seems everyone w that criteria has been dropped from GS for 2024.
I did but the spend is 150K! basically lived on a United widebody aircraft the entire year. I am in a corporate program, but decide where, and when to buy all my tickets and usually through the United app.

Originally Posted by eightblack
That does seem crazy. Where are you based?
Idaho

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2024 at 10:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Nim556 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:13 pm
  #780  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,814
Originally Posted by greenpau
Seems that way. Apple is rumored to be $150M in annual value for UA, and Roche, McKinsey, Facebook, Google all $30M+ and they get allocated significant GS and other amenities per year. Seems this is designed to scale back double dipping and give control back to corporate travel managers. The Corporate Travel Manager I spoke to that I referenced upthread mentioned that discounts were expanded for 2024, as were the amenity pools.
So I read this as meaning that they want only X GS for some particular corporate account, and they were already granting Y GS by normal review plus Z GS through allocation, with the problem being that X < Y+Z. So their solution was to simply cut all Y GS and increase Z to X.

Seems like another approach would have been to grant GS using their regular metrics, then do a tally of GS granted per corp account, and subsequently reduce the amenity pool offered, i.e. set Z = X - Y.

Gaming that out further, perhaps they expected or knew that their account managers at Apple, McKinsey, etc would have taken issue with having their allocations reduced, which means that they decided it was better to confuse and annoy the Y GS rather than explain to account managers that they already had nominated several of their employees for status.

Perhaps that is the right choice? But if it is, perhaps more than a minimal level of communication to members ("welcome to 1K") would have been helpful? 🤔
fumje is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.