Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9

Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Because not "everyone" (esp. 1Ks) has a history of spending with UA that at least at one time justified GS?

You're entitled to your opinion, but, to re-earn GS for less than 1K would cost, knowing I'd fly that much this year regardless is a no-brainer. The poster just above who mentioned their Japan trips exactly matches my logic. Buy my next couple trips, requalify, then enjoy XY+PN upgrades for a year. Nets out to saving a ton.
That was me.... To earn GS for less than it costs to be 1k -- and get another year of XN + PP -> J we will save a ton since we fly back and forth so much.... I'm already looking at quick flights to LHR from EWR that would total $18k -- relatively easy to do in 1 day....
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K since 2017, Marriott Ambassador since 2018
Originally Posted by rieuwa
A ticket I bought months ago but travelled on post Jan/1 is counted in the tracker FYI.

Also important to note: in previous years, buy-ups don't count towards the total spend on the tracker.
Yes, under current rules of 2024 GS challenge paid upgrades don''t count. If traveler buys an 800-dollar ticket RT then ponies up another 1600 in paid upgrades is that not real dollars? Puzzling. I agree paid upgrades offer some incremental savings but in aggregate over course of a calendar year it all balances out; Hence travelers with 90,000 PQP. This policy all but eliminate those not allowed to get full fare business from outset but upgrade afterwards. I was close to 70,000 PQP in 2023 and could top that in 2024. Given new polices my goal for 2024 is not a P over 18K. Obviously we are a drop in their bottom line bucket and they won't miss another 50,000 PQP or more.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Johndoealt3
Yes, under current rules of 2024 GS challenge paid upgrades don''t count. If traveler buys an 800-dollar ticket RT then ponies up another 1600 in paid upgrades is that not real dollars? Puzzling. I agree paid upgrades offer some incremental savings but in aggregate over course of a calendar year it all balances out; Hence travelers with 90,000 PQP. This policy all but eliminate those not allowed to get full fare business from outset but upgrade afterwards. I was close to 70,000 PQP in 2023 and could top that in 2024. Given new polices my goal for 2024 is not a P over 18K. Obviously we are a drop in their bottom line bucket and they won't miss another 50,000 PQP or more.
Is the prime reason to buy upgrades to get the seat or the status? Are you just going to ride in coach? Or is 1K just too far beneath you ?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K since 2017, Marriott Ambassador since 2018
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is the prime reason to buy upgrades to get the seat or the status? Are you just going to ride in coach? Or is 1K just too far beneath you ?
Both. However paid upgrades is a dangerous game if travel schedule changes. UA wont refund and takes a seasoned 1K rep to execute request.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
That was me.... To earn GS for less than it costs to be 1k -- and get another year of XN + PP -> J we will save a ton since we fly back and forth so much.... I'm already looking at quick flights to LHR from EWR that would total $18k -- relatively easy to do in 1 day....
Do you think this years challenge might be a one and done by United? I can see some thinking theyll get another challenge next year and be disappointed if their 2024 spend doesnt clear UAs murky GS hurdle(s).
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Do you think this year’s challenge might be a “one and done” by United? I can see some thinking they’ll get another challenge next year and be disappointed if their 2024 spend doesn’t clear UA’s murky GS hurdle(s).
Actually I do -- it seems like a sucker bet to me and Kirby is milking it... I think UA has raised the bar but is tempting the past GS crew to keep their perceived benefits... As someone that has suffered through Kirby once before that isn't how it works with him.... The only thing I could see changing this would be is UA has a horrible first half of the year -- and people start to question their strategy....

Honestly -- if 1K could upgrade award tickets I wouldn't even consider spending $18k for GS -- but since we travel back and forth so much between NYC and TYO it's worth a thought... I realize we are an unusual case -- for once we are the 1% that it might make sense.... I spent $25k last year on personal travel on UA back and forth as a GS -- seems like a no brainer to me...
SPN Lifer, ironmanjt, uanj and 3 others like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jan 19, 2024 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Johndoealt3
Yes, under current rules of 2024 GS challenge paid upgrades don''t count. If traveler buys an 800-dollar ticket RT then ponies up another 1600 in paid upgrades is that not real dollars?
Odd, since they certainly counted towards my requal. Are we confusing this with up-faring which is what I did?

An upgrade offer and up-faring are vastly different in price usually.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustusM
Odd, since they certainly counted towards my requal. Are we confusing this with up-faring which is what I did?

An upgrade offer and up-faring are vastly different in price usually.
Up-faring and paid upgrades would be hugely different (IMHO) in UAs GS nominations. UA clearly wants people paying front cabin fares, not buying upgrades into F.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Up-faring and paid upgrades would be hugely different (IMHO) in UA’s GS nominations. UA clearly wants people paying front cabin fares, not buying upgrades into F.
Agreed, which is why I think the poster might be unknowingly confusing the two.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe UA should do a GS Lite for OPM travelers. Instead of PN, they wait for PZ. But, as GS, theyre still ahead of 1Ks. Still gets UC access and early boarding, etc, but gets UA the revenue boost theyre looking for.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Actually I do -- it seems like a sucker bet to me and Kirby is milking it... I think UA has raised the bar but is tempting the past GS crew to keep their perceived benefits... As someone that has suffered through Kirby once before that isn't how it works with him.... The only thing I could see changing this would be is UA has a horrible first half of the year -- and people start to question their strategy....

Honestly -- if 1K could upgrade award tickets I wouldn't even consider spending $18k for GS -- but since we travel back and forth so much between NYC and TYO it's worth a thought... I realize we are an unusual case -- for once we are the 1% that it might make sense.... I spent $25k last year on personal travel on UA back and forth as a GS -- seems like a no brainer to me...
I'm exactly in the same boat with you. In the situation where I have a large amount of travel out of my pocket internationally, and the ability to do much of it XY->PN makes it a hugely attractive proposal for me.

Is it a one-off? Not necessarily - it's extremely similar to last year - but I'm under no illusion it'll be back next year again. If it is, wonderful, it'll be a nice surprise.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
Maybe UA should do a GS Lite for OPM travelers. Instead of PN, they wait for PZ. But, as GS, theyre still ahead of 1Ks. Still gets UC access and early boarding, etc, but gets UA the revenue boost theyre looking for.
They kinda already do with Corporate Preferred - benefits include tie-breaker preference for upgrade, standby priority, downgrade protection, etc.

Not sure how it works in reality though
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfosin
Not all GS are eligible for the challenge. I was GS last year (via PassPlus; I spent over $50k on United flights in 2023), called in for a challenge, and was rejected. Unfortunately it seems like if you're an individual PP subscriber you might be "disqualified" from GS, much like the other corporate discount people.
Just to add a data point, a number of Corporate Discount Program travelers that I know received this note this week as a response to calling in. They were not eligible for the challenge, so that is certainly where UA are focused.

Very interested in what this may mean for the total GS population this year post-Jan 31
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by greenpau
Just to add a data point, a number of Corporate Discount Program travelers that I know received this note this week as a response to calling in. They were not eligible for the challenge, so that is certainly where UA are focused.

Very interested in what this may mean for the total GS population this year post-Jan 31
Fascinating....seems the new rules are: no corporate program travelers welcome - unless company nominates you from their allotment. However, if you AREN'T corporate, you get a challenge pretty much regardless of 2023 spend.
ContinentalFan and greenpau like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Certainly UA is always looking for revenue boosts, but is your theory that UA has culled the OPM GS ranks to reduce the number of Y>PN upgrades from these folks on the belief that many of the now-former GS will instead play the upgrade lottery by buying OAR instead, thereby increasing UA's net revenue from such customers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.