Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9

Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
And do you really, genuinely believe that the competitor you've moved to (obviously, it's likely AA, doubt DL 360 is very competitive program for most GS folks) will not do something similar to you in the next year or two? Seriously?

I mean did you spend anytime reviewing the CK threads in the AA forum and all the similarly angry folks who feel the CK program lacks "transparency" around requirements, just as UA GS folks feel? Some of those AA folks were trying to figure how to get GS via Pass Plus! Do you genuinely believe that any of the "big 3" are really any different at the end of the day?

Trust me, there will likely come a day when you'll feel foolish for spending $130K on AA in the future as well!

Regards
Yes. I did. Which is precisely why I am kicking myself for dedicating so much focus to one airline. And exactly why I wont be dumping $130k into ANY single airline in the future. Thats the whole point. Business is business. That applies to both ends of the transaction. Its not personal. United didnt dump me because they dont like me. They made a business decision. Their business decision forced me to get off my lazy butt and look at other options. And what do you know? It turns out I benefit more from spreading my business around. Turns out it isnt smart to commit all your loyalty to one business. Its actually kind of stupid, because ultimately, you are at their mercy for how they choose to run their business.
So like I said, shame on me. But I am trainable. And I do learn from my mistakes. Ill let others manage their own lives. But based on my experience, Id suggest they not do what I did over the last few years sticking to a single airline. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. My only regret is that I didnt remember that sooner.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
Just to add some data points because I'm not hearing or seeing anything at all like the carnage y'all are reporting:

Myself - 69k spend, renewed for 8th year (virtually all transcon polaris + europe polaris out of EWR)
Colleague - 68k spend, renewed for 8th year (virtually all transcon polaris + europe polaris out of EWR)
Colleague - 54k spend, first ever invite (virtually all transcon polaris out of EWR)
Colleage's Friend - 39k spend, first ever invite (virtually all europe polaris out of EWR)
Friend - 55k spend, first ever invite (mix of travel, mostly business/polaris out of EWR)
Friend - 47k spend, renewed for 3rd year (almost entirely EWR - SFO transcon polaris out of EWR)
This is the pattern for the GS in my household: first earned it in (I think) 2016 on $40K spend, and has had it since, with spend fluctuating between just under 50K & just under 60K (except for pandemic years). All trips are out of EWR, fully-refundable business/first, 90% transcon or TATL.
manstein58 and flynnr like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is the pattern for the GS in my household: first earned it in (I think) 2016 on $40K spend, and has had it since, with spend fluctuating between just under 50K & just under 60K (except for pandemic years). All trips are out of EWR, fully-refundable business/first, 90% transcon or TATL.
Looking at the spreadsheet, seeing some very low first yer qualifying numbers as well this year - 40k on the nose, but high yield with low PQF. The type of flyer that works well for this model.

Are there any others affected by the Corporate program culling that happened this year that received a Challenge? Per above, my friend at a big consulting firm was told he was not eligible. Interested in other reports.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
And do you really, genuinely believe that the competitor you've moved to (obviously, it's likely AA, doubt DL 360 is very competitive program for most GS folks) will not do something similar to you in the next year or two?
Actually, it looks like theres some surprise culling at Delta right now. Theyre threatening to stomp off to UA and AA now

I think thats part of the airlines calculation - UA will lose some, gain some.. Net effect is to get some of the OPMers to put more personal skin in the game. No more easy upgrades from economy into TATL Polaris or PremTranscon Business for pals or kin. Get em to buy OAR for a chance.
greenpau likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably better to have top published tier benefits on multiple airlines than just 1K on United with $50-100k spend is how I would look at it
SPN Lifer, SS255, Rock214 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by jonisflying
Just to add a data point here.

I was dropped to 1K for 2024. I ended 2023 with ~38,000 PQP (after taking off starter bonus, etc.).

More than half of my PQP was self-funded. About 12,000 was work funded travel. I'm sure we have a large corporate contract, but we have deals with lots of airlines (I work for large, multi-national company).

I wrote in asking if I could get a challenge for 2024, not expecting it, but figured I'd ask - since I already have more than 8,000 PQP booked in the first 2 months of the year - and I just heard back: I was offered the challenge: $18,000 between 01-Jan and 30-Jun. It isn't on the Premier Status tracker yet, that still shows the "pleased to welcome you to 1K" (which I hate! I earned that LOL!).

Anyway, I'm guessing that since I'm at a competitive airport (TPA) and spent a lot of my own money. and I have been 1K or GS for the last 7 years... with several years in the high 30's, peak year was 2019 (nearly $70K) that I'm a good candidate for a challenge.

I'll easily make the 18K.
The challenge is live on my status page, and it does say within 120 day period. So the email was incorrect.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Because not "everyone" (esp. 1Ks) has a history of spending with UA that at least at one time justified GS?

You're entitled to your opinion, but, to re-earn GS for less than 1K would cost, knowing I'd fly that much this year regardless is a no-brainer. The poster just above who mentioned their Japan trips exactly matches my logic. Buy my next couple trips, requalify, then enjoy XY+PN upgrades for a year. Nets out to saving a ton.
Sorry, but United just proved that last year means absolutely nothing to them as they culled a huge pool of GS fliers. All of them are literally the same equivalent of 1K that I am (earned by spending the $18K+ segments or $24K/year). Albeit those who were GS last year and spent the $50-150K have a boat ton more (useless) PlusPoints than I do.

But my semi-rhetorical question remains...why isn't the $18K challenge open to anyone at this point? If UA is willing to accept $18K in spend as a qualifier to renew your GS then it should be open to everyone. Because at the end of the day United has not said anything other than that gets you GS *for this year only*. Absolutely nothing is said about 2025. So they are saying "Pay us $18K "now"" and you can have your coveted GS back. If a 1K wants to spend $18K now why can't they have GS for 2024 as well? Again, last year's spend is irrelevant as United has already proven that.

Back to my last opinion...I think this $18K challenge is an absurdly bad business proposition for most people. Maybe mostly out of principle. It's like the upgrade lotto game a lot of people play on United. Why chase bad money with even more bad money?

I do not deny that some of the GS perks (e.g. upgrading award tickets, having inventory opened in certain situations) can be hugely valuable. But is it valuable when the airline no longer values your huge spend and would rather grab another $18K in short term revenue out of you?

-RM
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jonisflying
The challenge is live on my status page, and it does say within 120 day period. So the email was incorrect.
Also live here. Didnt request. 7 year GS dropped after only getting around 30K PQP on United metal out of LHR. Have enough travel in the next few months that I may just make it. But torn about whether I care.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Sorry, but United just proved that last year means absolutely nothing to them as they culled a huge pool of GS fliers. All of them are literally the same equivalent of 1K that I am (earned by spending the $18K+ segments or $24K/year). Albeit those who were GS last year and spent the $50-150K have a boat ton more (useless) PlusPoints than I do.

But my semi-rhetorical question remains...why isn't the $18K challenge open to anyone at this point? If UA is willing to accept $18K in spend as a qualifier to renew your GS then it should be open to everyone. Because at the end of the day United has not said anything other than that gets you GS *for this year only*. Absolutely nothing is said about 2025. So they are saying "Pay us $18K "now"" and you can have your coveted GS back. If a 1K wants to spend $18K now why can't they have GS for 2024 as well? Again, last year's spend is irrelevant as United has already proven that.

Back to my last opinion...I think this $18K challenge is an absurdly bad business proposition for most people. Maybe mostly out of principle. It's like the upgrade lotto game a lot of people play on United. Why chase bad money with even more bad money?

I do not deny that some of the GS perks (e.g. upgrading award tickets, having inventory opened in certain situations) can be hugely valuable. But is it valuable when the airline no longer values your huge spend and would rather grab another $18K in short term revenue out of you?

-RM
It feels like you are just trying to be a bit argumentative. Given that GS is an invite only program, without any published criteria, frankly, they can do whatever the heck they want and they aren't required to provide an explanation that satisfies you (or really an explanation at all)

If they want to give former GS members a challenge, they can. Their game, their rules. We don't even know if they are offering it to all. Certainly, many in this thread are getting it, but on the same token, contrary to what people on FT think, its a much smaller sample size than we think (but certainly a loud one). Many of the posts in this thread are multiples of the same posters. Its really a pretty small dataset.

Finally, this situation isn't really any different than how UA handles the status match program at the top(ish) tier. Officially, in the published criteria for the UA status match, they do not offer 1K to top tier members of competing programs. For example, an AA EXP (1K equivalent) is only supposed to be matched to Platinum. Yet we see reports of some (but not all) AA EXPs indeed getting matched to 1K. Why does UA do that? Why don't all AA EXPs get matched to 1K? Why some, but not others? Because they can, that is all...

Regards

P.S. We are in complete agreement on the value of the program, relative to $ spent. It's refreshing to see that the fog is lifting for some, like, Rock214
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jerseymn
Long term 1K, got GS this year with 89K PQP 2023, have a question on upgrading award tickets with pluspoint, does it also follow PN, PZ rules to get instant upgrade? I mean if there are PN, PZ tickets available for money buying and I buy it with miles, can I use pluspoints to guarantee the upgrade? Thanks!
Too soon! 😉
Repooc17 and MobileLounger like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
GS 2024 challenge

Invited to meet the GS 2024 challenge today. Here's the terms and conditions: $18000 spend on UA or UA express and completed travel in 120 day window between January 1, 2024 and June 30, 2024. The counter did already count the flights that I already have flown this year. I had flown in 2023 56k PQP, 85 segments, no corporate travel, 85% domestic travel, 15% international. Used all my Plus Points upgrading mostly international flights for myself and family members.

Last edited by sfonorth; Jan 17, 2024 at 4:10 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:58 pm

I got the challenge in mystatus and called in to GS/MS with two questions - sharing in case anyone else had the same. These may seem obvious but I am not feeling very trusting at the moment that the fact that something makes no sense means they wouldnt do it.

First, while elsewhere it talks about travel dates, the first bullet in the challenge says you have to *spend* $18k in the 120 days, suggesting it might matter when you buy the ticket (as possibly noticed by some agents up-thread). The MP agent seemed to tell me after checking with a supervisor that it did not matter when you buy the ticket, just when you travel. Although she used the word should a bunch so it didnt instill 100% confidence.

Second, #9 of the Ts & Cs suggests that on 1/31/25 you *will* be placed in the highest published level you qualified for. I asked whether this meant (as it might sound) that one would not even have the opportunity to earn GS for 2025. The MP agent said - again after checking with a supervisor - that it was not guaranteed (of course) but no, completing the challenge would not make one ineligible for GS in 2025.

Would be interested in whether anyone else has confirmed (esp on #1).
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
A ticket I bought months ago but travelled on post Jan/1 is counted in the tracker FYI.

Also important to note: in previous years, buy-ups don't count towards the total spend on the tracker.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by MobileLounger

Second, #9 of the Ts & Cs suggests that on 1/31/25 you *will* be placed in the highest published level you qualified for. I asked whether this meant (as it might sound) that one would not even have the opportunity to earn GS for 2025. The MP agent said - again after checking with a supervisor - that it was not guaranteed (of course) but no, completing the challenge would not make one ineligible for GS in 2025.
GS is unpublished, so no. A status challenge is only for in-year.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth
Invited to meet the GS 2024 challenge today. Here's the terms and conditions: $18000 spend on UA or UA express and completed travel in 120 day window between January 1, 2024 and June 30, 2024. The counter did already count the flights that I already have flown this year. I had flown in 2023 56k PQP, 85 segments, no corporate travel, 85% domestic travel, 15% international. Used all my Plus Points upgrading mostly international flights for myself and family members.

#1 is a real bummer.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.