Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9


Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:44 am
  #661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,269
Originally Posted by Rock214
It’s certainly an interesting marketing strategy.

“We won’t tell you how much money you need to spend on us to get an invite, unless you get close at the end of the year. Then we’ll give you a very precise number and challenge you to make it. But until then, you can assume the figure is between $40,000 and $150,000. But spending $150,000 doesn’t mean you’ll get invited. And we’ll publish benefits that are included with the status, but if you use them, we won’t invite you back. Oh, and if you happen to live near one of our hubs, meaning you’ll probably need us a lot, we won’t be as likely to invite you because…well…you need us more than we need you. In the meantime, please spend as much as you can on our credit cards because we value your loyalty”.

It doesn’t provide a costumer with much incentive to spend anymore than what it takes to be a 1K. And maybe that is their ultimate goal. Kill off GS because it simply isn’t a money maker for them.
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting it was a logical or desired approach, merely that I could see conference room people trying to mess with stuff by incorporating "big data".
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:15 pm
  #662  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K since 2017, Marriott Ambassador since 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
CPM has always seemed to be the best/most sensible metric IMO.
What range is good from airline perspective?
Johndoealt3 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:20 pm
  #663  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by goodeats21
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting it was a logical or desired approach, merely that I could see conference room people trying to mess with stuff by incorporating "big data".
Oh yes. I understood that. And my response was somewhat tongue in cheek.
I can provide a single data point for the conference room. I just received a status match on American Airlines for Executive Platinum (their 1k equivalent which is apparently all Ill ever qualify for on United). It took 2 hours for them to respond. And I just completed shifting $12k in scheduled flights on United for the rest of January and February to American. Fares were mostly similar. Some routing was less convenient and some more convenient. But I was dealing with that last part trying to maintain GS status on United. One nice aspect of the American program is they dont care if your flying is on American metal or one of their alliance members. That works very well for me. And after spending 182,000 butt in seat miles on United metal in 2023, Im looking forward to some variety.
Rock214 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:38 pm
  #664  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,766
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
CPM has always seemed to be the best/most sensible metric IMO.
cpm combined with dollars spent, of course.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:40 pm
  #665  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,766
Originally Posted by Rock214
Oh yes. I understood that. And my response was somewhat tongue in cheek.
I can provide a single data point for the conference room. I just received a status match on American Airlines for Executive Platinum (their 1k equivalent which is apparently all Ill ever qualify for on United). It took 2 hours for them to respond. And I just completed shifting $12k in scheduled flights on United for the rest of January and February to American. Fares were mostly similar. Some routing was less convenient and some more convenient. But I was dealing with that last part trying to maintain GS status on United. One nice aspect of the American program is they dont care if your flying is on American metal or one of their alliance members. That works very well for me. And after spending 182,000 butt in seat miles on United metal in 2023, Im looking forward to some variety.
to be fair ua also doesnt care about metal for 1k, just pqd. I think for ck American also gets tricksy.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:42 pm
  #666  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 5
Just adding more info: Per up-thread, Im GS since 2018, $43k+ PQP, ~$37.5 paid UA metal in 2023 with a lot booked for 1Q 24. I called today just to see about a challenge. The agent seemed to have been given some talking points although not sure she stuck to them. First she said that all GS were automatically pre-registered in a challenge and would be contacted in early January about the details. She said mystatus.united would then track that. Then, in response to a question, she seemed to read back over the script and it said all global services challenge-eligible customers would be pre-registered. I asked what challenge-eligible meant and she said she had something that said that most members would get the challenge. But she could not get more detail after putting me on hold for a while and she suggested she tried to register me but could not. So she said she sent the matter to MileagePlus and they should get back to me within 10 days about the challenge - my read was she seemed to want to say that I would get a challenge because thats what it seemed the talking points were saying but then realized she didnt know that for sure. So there we are.

fwiw we do have a corporate relationship of some sort with United - I dont know the details exactly.

I will also add two cents to some of the above discussion which is that putting aside my case (and I am obviously on the low side within this group by any measure), the thing that seems insane is changing the rules without notice when many relied on those rules in allocating their 2023 spend. Of course United can do this - the rules are subjective and unpublished. But they are always clear that spend on United is key and you would have had no reason to think youd miss it with the level of spend some on this thread had until a few days ago. Its obviously going to really antagonize some of their best customers and for what? Because they are experimenting with some new analytics? Maybe we are fungible flying dollars to the finance folks but surely there is some value in the customer service folks treating the companys very best customers (who fly and spend on United a lot more than me) with fairness and respect. Strikes me as indefensible, but what do I know.
Warriorconcept likes this.
MobileLounger is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:14 pm
  #667  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Posts: 2,285
I wonder how many of the high PQD rejects were million milers.... They are more captive and more expensive for United.
porciuscato is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:32 pm
  #668  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: UA GS; Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Rock214
And I just completed shifting $12k in scheduled flights on United for the rest of January and February to American. Fares were mostly similar. Some routing was less convenient and some more convenient.
Just goes to show customers are "sticky" until they aren't. No amount of analytics can account for the frustration variable. People will take less convenient routing when they hit their threshold...
theesquire is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:37 pm
  #669  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 16
I spoke with a very friendly GS agent today who seemed happy to discuss the changing requirements for GS. She was older and seemed very knowledgeable, but obviously take this with a grain of salt since United doesn't officially reveal qualifications. She indicated that requirements are stricter now than in previous years (duh, but interesting that she outright said it), and that other factors such as international Polaris tickets and Chase credit card spend are considerations (somewhat known, but again interesting to hear it directly from a United employee). I mentioned that a co-worker automatically requalified with less PQP (32K vs 37K) but similar travel patterns to me (international polaris) and she noted that previous year spend is absolutely a factor (another pretty well-established fact at this point). She did mention that many but not all GS are being automatically entered into the challenge and that it is typically $18K within 120 days as others have confirmed, but that I would get an email soon officially confirming it. I'm not sure how useful this all is, but it's a lot more information than I got when I called last Friday.
SPN Lifer, uanj and Warriorconcept like this.
flynnr is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:12 pm
  #670  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York City
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I wonder how many of the high PQD rejects were million milers.... They are more captive and more expensive for United.
I am

Originally Posted by flynnr
and that other factors such as international Polaris tickets and Chase credit card spend are considerations (somewhat known, but again interesting to hear it directly from a United employee)
Spent 300K on my business explorer card in 2023, so I guess it wasnt a factor for me
SPN Lifer, uanj, flynnr and 1 others like this.
benewr is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:37 pm
  #671  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Boulder Colorado
Programs: United Global Services, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by GoldenBear1970
I was 96K PQP booked directly, not through a corporate program. Was denied GS this year (despite a 50% increase in dollar spend with them.)

I spent 96K with them, not through a corporate program, and was bumped down to 1K.
Sadly we've been reduced to 'talking points'
theroadwellheeled is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:45 pm
  #672  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO / LHR
Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,047
So a friend of mine at a large consulting firm who did not get renewed called in today to ask about the challenge. He got the everyone is automatically offered a challenge script first by front line, but then asked to speak to a supervisor in the MPSC. He waited a long while, and she eventually came on. She started by saying that many factors were now taken into consideration - including credit card spend, fare class, multi-year commitment, and number of flights taken. She then went away and came back, and said he was not eligible for the challenge and would need to contact his Corporate Travel Manager for more information.

Seems to imply that existing GS that are not part of corporate contract discount program and narrowly missed the mark will be open to a challenge, but corporate discount participants may continue to be excluded. This actually makes more sense given what weve seen this last week - would be nonsensical to give an unrestricted $18k challenge to one of the $150k spenders theyve already upset.

The point on number of flights was interesting as well - PQF effectively. More PQF = more usage of services? In addition to CPM if you are not over, say, $1k per PQF that may count against you?
Warriorconcept likes this.
greenpau is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:48 pm
  #673  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,269
Originally Posted by flynnr
I spoke with a very friendly GS agent today who seemed happy to discuss the changing requirements for GS. She was older and seemed very knowledgeable, but obviously take this with a grain of salt since United doesn't officially reveal qualifications. She indicated that requirements are stricter now than in previous years (duh, but interesting that she outright said it), and that other factors such as international Polaris tickets and Chase credit card spend are considerations (somewhat known, but again interesting to hear it directly from a United employee). I mentioned that a co-worker automatically requalified with less PQP (32K vs 37K) but similar travel patterns to me (international polaris) and she noted that previous year spend is absolutely a factor (another pretty well-established fact at this point). She did mention that many but not all GS are being automatically entered into the challenge and that it is typically $18K within 120 days as others have confirmed, but that I would get an email soon officially confirming it. I'm not sure how useful this all is, but it's a lot more information than I got when I called last Friday.
Interesting.

Anyone else find it weird that the challenge will be readily available at $18K of spend in 4 months, but members flying above that run rate ($54k in a year) didn't get the invite?

Me thinks this is all a bit wonky. I will return to my peaceful 1K existence.
uanj and Warriorconcept like this.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:58 pm
  #674  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FLL, MEL, SIN, WAS
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 12,483
Is the challenge by invitation only or can any 2023 GS not requalified for 2024 write in to ask to participate in the challenge?
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:24 pm
  #675  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Posts: 2,285
I got offer after only $30K PQD last year -- which inlcuded a few $1000 on non-United. So theoretically GS for ~45K. I'd be pissed if I spent $70K last year and didn't get it.
porciuscato is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.