Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9

Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Not that it signifies anything, but I did get my GS Xmas card and the 'thank you' cards to hand out to the crew today.
drklain likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
After over a decade as GS I'm not missing the drama this year -- I qualified for 1k -- that's it for me! Will be interested in seeing if $75k is the new standard ... I had years where I spent $100k plus -- but it's not the same airline now and just can't see doing that ever again...
Old Dec 8, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
After over a decade as GS I'm not missing the drama this year -- I qualified for 1k -- that's it for me! Will be interested in seeing if $75k is the new standard ... I had years where I spent $100k plus -- but it's not the same airline now and just can't see doing that ever again...
I for one will miss your insider assessment of the program. Who will update the secret GS sub-levels now?!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:22 pm

Several trips pending for 1Q, holding off booking until UA lets me know of status for ‘24. Ready to book on UA, or pivot if not GS for next year. I’m at 70k in BIS spend for ‘23.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by greenpau
I for one will miss your insider assessment of the program. Who will update the secret GS sub-levels now?!
I still have my contacts within UA -- and I am sure porciuscato and ua1flyer will always be there to keep us honest and balanced lol..... Having lived through this at AA I am not optimistic for the future of "premium" service at UA -- but one can always hope - and I hope I am wrong because I've come to know and love so many UA employees over the years that have helped us in so many ways -- flying a single route so much for so many years does that!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by AugustusM
Not that it signifies anything, but I did get my GS Xmas card and the 'thank you' cards to hand out to the crew today.
I received the GS Xmas card too......my expiration date remains 1/24
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I really canít see the minimum threshold jumping to $75KÖ I think United would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did thatÖ but then again it is Kirby so who knows? Weíll find out soon!
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I am in the same boat, but I do have my lifetime GS status to fall back on.

Regarding GS spent, I have been lucky my former work travel of past 15 years provided me opportunities to earn airlines status and elite benefits. While I flew for work, it did not occur to me the financial impacts as I was just focusing on work and whether I could keep GS for another year because it was paid with other peopleís money.

Now, looking back at the cost of my GS status since inception of the program, I (mostly my former employer) contributed well over 7 figures (US $) to Unitedís revenue in the past 15 years.

It gives you a different perspective when you look at the benefits and services you get from United.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dyce
I really canít see the minimum threshold jumping to $75KÖ I think United would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did thatÖ but then again it is Kirby so who knows? Weíll find out soon!
If anything, they may make $75k the threshold for new invitations to GS and leave renewing members alone for now.

The other thing that United might want to take seriously is daisy-chain GS members. I thought there would be very few, but Iíve met two in the past three months. I always thought the number was much less than one percent, but maybe Iím wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
If anything, they may make $75k the threshold for new invitations to GS and leave renewing members alone for now.

The other thing that United might want to take seriously is daisy-chain GS members. I thought there would be very few, but Iíve met two in the past three months. I always thought the number was much less than one percent, but maybe Iím wrong.
$75K for initial invitations makes sense if they're moving pass plus up to that level, GS for less than $50K on renewals doesnt make much sense to me. Moving the bar higher seems to jive with the volume of GS I see now versus 5 years ago. DEN-LHR a few Saturdays ago, there were 16 GS waiting to pre-board. When 6.3% of the people on the plane are GS, perhaps a right sizing is needed?
Old Dec 9, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K
$75K for initial invitations makes sense if they're moving pass plus up to that level, GS for less than $50K on renewals doesnt make much sense to me. Moving the bar higher seems to jive with the volume of GS I see now versus 5 years ago. DEN-LHR a few Saturdays ago, there were 16 GS waiting to pre-board. When 6.3% of the people on the plane are GS, perhaps a right sizing is needed?
What youíre saying makes sense. Iím surprised at the magnitude of the increase, but United has all the figures, so they know that the target level.
eightblack and limey1K like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
With families and traveling companions itís hard to pinpoint the true GS number on a flight. At the same time, Iíve been the only GS on some of my Polaris flights this year out of SFO, and that hasnít happened in quite some years.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by greenpau
With families and traveling companions itís hard to pinpoint the true GS number on a flight. At the same time, Iíve been the only GS on some of my Polaris flights this year out of SFO, and that hasnít happened in quite some years.
Agreed but this was a line comprised of 16 of "me" :
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus GS, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, ITC Platinum
Much as it makes some of my 1K friends crazy, I agree that there should be some "right sizing", and I think it should apply to GS as well as 1K. As the two "premier" levels, they should offer some degree of real perks and exclusivity. Over most of the last year, the pre boarding lane for 1K (GS tend to stand off on their own) is roughly as long as (and sometimes longer than) group 1 lane.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncleb
Much as it makes some of my 1K friends crazy, I agree that there should be some "right sizing", and I think it should apply to GS as well as 1K. As the two "premier" levels, they should offer some degree of real perks and exclusivity. Over most of the last year, the pre boarding lane for 1K (GS tend to stand off on their own) is roughly as long as (and sometimes longer than) group 1 lane.
The preboarding is a pain, but (IMHO) not really a serious issue. Iíd like to see them prioritize upgrades by spending, thus continuing the march towards total monetization.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.