Strategizing for status (as a couple)

Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Strategizing for status (as a couple)

My wife is a 1K and I currently have platinum on UA. Where we are currently based, we do a majority of our travel with UA and a decent amount with AA, although that might change in the next year or two. With credit card spend and miles earnings, one of us typically has 200-300k miles in the bank with either AA or UA.

Short haul in the US, we book F 90% of the time on either AA or UA, often with one ticket in cash and one with miles depending on pricing. Long haul, we book J 100% of the time- I'd say 50/50 between miles and cash. My wife made it to 1K this year on UA and I am UA plat and AA plat pro.

My current strategy has been to book cash flights on UA for my wife and cash flights on AA for me (miles on UA for me and miles on AA for her). Does this make sense? Am I missing anything strategically? of course the idea is to maximize benefits on both airlines for both of us as we travel together about 75% of the time..
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you are booking front of the cabin, status is less important. Just buy the best, which is NOT US airlines ok INTL routes
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are booking front of the cabin, status is less important. Just buy the best, which is NOT US airlines ok INTL routes
Excited for a few upcoming flights on EVA..slightly less excited for KE!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:12 pm

How far are either of you from UA million miler?

But yesh, as mentioned above, being in premium class covers a lot of the elite benefits (priority boarding/bags/screening, no need for E+ or upgrades).

Have you been using PlusPoints to upgrade to F when flying with LH/NH, or upgrading an economy ticket to J when there is PZ at booking?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
How far are either of you from UA million miler?

But yesh, as mentioned above, being in premium class covers a lot of the elite benefits (priority boarding/bags/screening, no need for E+ or upgrades).

Have you been using PlusPoints to upgrade to F when flying with LH/NH, or upgrading an economy ticket to J when there is PZ at booking?
To be honest, have only tried to upgrade from PE to J once this year and it was a last min booking. Didn't clear with PP and ended up paying for cash upgrade last min. Headed to Japan in a few months but on SQ so no chances yet on NH. Hopefully we have the chance on LH next summer.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How long until UA MM?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nw6338
Excited for a few upcoming flights on EVA..slightly less excited for KE!
KE biz class on their 777 with the new configuration or their 748 is one of the best flying today. Better than EVA, SQ, CX or EK IMHO. Youll enjoy it immensely. If it is their old biz class then yeah, Id rather be in Polaris 😂

I agree with the poster that said flying non US carriers is optimal when going overseas in business class. If youre paying for these flights in biz and domestic first then just fly the best carrier or best timing and forget about status.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by nw6338
My wife is a 1K and I currently have platinum on UA. Where we are currently based, we do a majority of our travel with UA and a decent amount with AA, although that might change in the next year or two. With credit card spend and miles earnings, one of us typically has 200-300k miles in the bank with either AA or UA.

Short haul in the US, we book F 90% of the time on either AA or UA, often with one ticket in cash and one with miles depending on pricing. Long haul, we book J 100% of the time- I'd say 50/50 between miles and cash. My wife made it to 1K this year on UA and I am UA plat and AA plat pro.

My current strategy has been to book cash flights on UA for my wife and cash flights on AA for me (miles on UA for me and miles on AA for her). Does this make sense? Am I missing anything strategically? of course the idea is to maximize benefits on both airlines for both of us as we travel together about 75% of the time..
Dunno about AA, but it definitely makes sense for one of you to always buy United cash tickets (versus award) if that one of you has a chance to make it to One Million BIS miles. This is because a UA Million Miler can gift their status to a second individual.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.