Seniors looking for a reality check

Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:58 am

Of you have the dates you want to fly or a few dates go to Google.com/flights and find some flights that you like. Select them. Just below the price is a little slider with the label "Track Prices". Google will monitor that itinerary and send an email when the price changes, up or down. If the price gets close to what you want to pay you can buy them then. You can repeat this with multiple flight itineraries.
I used this a few months ago for a UA business class itinerary from SFO to Italy for next spring. It saved me about $4,000.
JimInOhio and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by malbik
I would only fly business to Europe from the east coast if (1) I was made of money (2) someone else was paying or (3) I had miles to burn. Now longer flights...that's another story.

The flight is short enough you won't get much benefit from a lie-flat seat. I'd book premium economy and spend the $ on something else.
its a short flight, I agree. But as someone who does 10+ east coast to London flights a year, I can assure you with discipline (not eating on board, not being woken for breakfast, and maybe half an ambien) you can absolutely benefit from it. Business is non negotiable for me - regardless of whether its personal or business. And Im not made of money.
SPN Lifer and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:49 pm

Be careful when purchasing a United ticket. United does NOT allow refunds or residual for future travel credit. If you buy a 5200 ticket and the fare goes down, so what. You won't get a refund or money back for a fare difference.

Was thinking the same thing...Delta has 'Premium Select' --might take a look at that.

Not anymore..UA will not refund back a fare decrease. (unless you purchase a fully refundable ticket)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2023 at 11:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RRROOO
Be careful when purchasing a United ticket. United does NOT allow refunds or residual for future travel credit. If you buy a 5200 ticket and the fare goes down, so what. You won't get a refund or money back for a fare difference.
Really? United.com suggests otherwise:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

("Future flight credits are issued if you cancel your trip or change your flight to a less expensive one.")
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:02 pm

Not anymore..UA will not refund back a fare decrease. (unless you purchase a fully refundable ticket)
not refund but you get a credit
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:13 pm

I'm doing a cruise from Rome in September. I just checked and the Cruise line has RT Business from SAV to FCO for $2,588 (2 stops) and $3,100 (1 stop), so definitely check buying through them. Some cruise lines let you search yourself (for example Princess), others for example Cunard make you call. [which makes no sense as they are the same company]
guv1976 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am in my early 60s, and tied to United for the upgrades with my PlusPoints, and as a 1K I have priority for upgrades over other flyers (this ignores GS who are in their own upgrade bucket).

When looking to book flights for my parents and my friends who I meet up with, unless I am using one of my upgrade instruments I go to Google Flights to see the least expensive fares for the class of travel I am looking at and use the calendar feature to see if fares are less expensive for alternative dates (taking into account the cost of a hotel if I was planning on joining a cruise on a specific date).

I may not always get the cheapest airfare but when I find a schedule with a price I am happy with I book it. If it is United then I will look to take the Future Flight Credit for a price reduction but this is because I know I will be flying again with them.

My bottom line is I do not second guess myself/suffer buyer's remorse if I book a fare I think is reasonable and it goes down then I am okay with that.

Bottom line: you are not tied to United - purchase the ticket that works best for you and your wife.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:17 pm

If it were me, I'd simply fly into NYC the day before, perhaps enjoy an evening out, and take a European carrier the next day. BA, Lufthansa, Swiss, imo, will all offer a far better experience than any US carrier.

Your itinerary is coming up at $3200-$3300, leaving plenty of money for the flight to NYC, a hotel, associated expenses and still leave you with a couple of grand in your pocket.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:30 pm

UA CHANGE RULES in our GDS:
--------------------------------------------------
REPRICE USING CURRENT FARE LEVELS
RESIDUAL VALUE-IF ANY- WILL BE FORFEITED/IGNORED
TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED AT TIME VOLUNTARY
CHANGES ARE CONFIRMED
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by rmontelbon
If it were me, I'd simply fly into NYC the day before, perhaps enjoy an evening out, and take a European carrier the next day. BA, Lufthansa, Swiss, imo, will all offer a far better experience than any US carrier.

Your itinerary is coming up at $3200-$3300, leaving plenty of money for the flight to NYC, a hotel, associated expenses and still leave you with a couple of grand in your pocket.
Swiss maybe but disagree re BA or LH
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
CHANGES ARE CONFIRMED
If, after posting on their website, "Future flight credits are issued if you cancel your trip or change your flight to a less expensive one," UA were not to issue a flight credit to a passenger who changed to a cheaper flight, I expect that UA would be in a world of hurt with the U.S. DOT:

"The Department's authority to regulate unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation or the sale of air transportation is found at 49 U.S.C. 41712 (section 41712).

"Section 41712(a) gives the Department the authority to investigate and decide whether an air carrier, foreign air carrier, or ticket agent is engaged in an unfair or deceptive practice in air transportation or the sale of air transportation. In addition to this general provision, Congress has also defined two specific practices as being unfair or deceptive."

Source:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...%20mislead%20a

See also this Nerd Wallet article from earlier this year:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...ed-prices-drop

("How to Rebook and Save When United Prices Drop")
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I'm doing a cruise from Rome in September. I just checked and the Cruise line has RT Business from SAV to FCO for $2,588 (2 stops) and $3,100 (1 stop), so definitely check buying through them. Some cruise lines let you search yourself (for example Princess), others for example Cunard make you call. [which makes no sense as they are the same company]
Booking through the Cruise line can be problematic in case of delays or rebooking, rescheduling. And booking this flight, this far out will get rescheduled. Just search these forums for some horror stories. Also 2 stops, you are going to be stuck on some regional jets, not “true business “

Also, FWIW, this is right in the middle of the Paris Olympics. Pretty sure this is going to drive all fares up.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If, after posting on their website, "Future flight credits are issued if you cancel your trip or change your flight to a less expensive one," UA were not to issue a flight credit to a passenger who changed to a cheaper flight, I expect that UA would be in a world of hurt with the U.S. DOT:

"The Department's authority to regulate unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation or the sale of air transportation is found at 49 U.S.C. 41712 (section 41712).

"Section 41712(a) gives the Department the authority to investigate and decide whether an air carrier, foreign air carrier, or ticket agent is engaged in an unfair or deceptive practice in air transportation or the sale of air transportation. In addition to this general provision, Congress has also defined two specific practices as being unfair or deceptive."

Source:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...%20mislead%20a

See also this Nerd Wallet article from earlier this year:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...ed-prices-drop

("How to Rebook and Save When United Prices Drop")
I wonder if the fare rules depend on where you are going? I'm see online with United , looking at the itinerary in question:
I'm skittish with United - prefer Delta

----------- REPRICE USING CURRENT FARE LEVELS --
------------------------------------------------ RESIDUAL VALUE-IF ANY- WILL BE FORFEITED/IGNORED ---
----------------------------------------------- TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED AT TIME VOLUNTARY CHANGES ARE CONFIRMED ----
---------------------------------------------- NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE --
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Most fare rules have that wording, but it's only enforced by travel agents (thus far). United has been issuing FFCs for residual value for tickets purchased directly through them.

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
[which makes no sense as they are the same company]
They are both owned by the same umbrella corporation, but they are most definitely not the same company.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
CHANGES ARE CONFIRMED
irrelevant when booking through united directly
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.