Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Europe fare that's all YQ, only $1 in actual fare?

Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm not an ITA/Fare code expert, but for a route I was looking at, am I reading this right that the actual fare is only 0.50 for each of the 2 flights, but there's a $400 surcharge + other fees? or is ITA misunderstanding the actual fare.

is that common for over the atlantic with united? i see it on a bunch of other cities, so I assume so, just didn't make any sense to me
Attached Images  
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:23 pm

That's not uncoommon for a fare with an international surcharge to be filed that way. Keep in mind that is a international basic economy fare in the lowest possible booking code.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, wasn't going to book BE, more was curious when I saw it show up that way looking around ITA.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In the end, to the consumer, it makes no difference.

Both are components of the fare determined by United.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
YQ just makes it a lot easier to change a lot of fares at once, rather than having to pull and refile each fare.
etiene, SPN Lifer, hhdl and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Fairly common, actually, especially during off peak seasons, and not just with United. Other carriers as well.

Back in 2019, I scored a $250 all-in economy fare marketed by KL to London traveling on VS (BOS-LHR), KL (LHR-AMS), and DL (AMS-BOS) - Sep travel dates. Fare was only $8, plus $130 of surcharge, and a lot of other taxes/fees. The bonus in the end I got to credit even the VS TATL flight with DL, which was not a ST partner, yet, at the time.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
I'm not an ITA/Fare code expert, but for a route I was looking at, am I reading this right that the actual fare is only 0.50 for each of the 2 flights, but there's a $400 surcharge + other fees? or is ITA misunderstanding the actual fare.

is that common for over the atlantic with united? i see it on a bunch of other cities, so I assume so, just didn't make any sense to me
Some of AA's Business Class fares to Europe are filed in a similar manner, and you see a tiny base rate figure and huge carrier-imposed charge.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Non BE fares were $1 ex LHR last year.
Pretty sure my W fare was $20 base.

Jetblue has had a ton of $1 business fares to Europe throughout 2023
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the end, to the consumer, it makes no difference.

Both are components of the fare determined by United.
I think the consumer loses as it devalues point redemptions. Arbitrarily high fees are tacked onto award tickets so the higher they are the less your miles are worth. Also for anyone who has available discounts that are percentages off the fare... that discount is minimized.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xooz
I think the consumer loses as it devalues point redemptions. Arbitrarily high fees are tacked onto award tickets so the higher they are the less your miles are worth. ...
This is a discussion in the UA forum and UA does not have those fees on any of their awards, including partner flights.
Those garage fees are a separate issue.

Originally Posted by xooz
Also for anyone who has available discounts that are percentages off the fare... that discount is minimized.
Perhaps a an issue, but again this is UA forum discussion, UA rarely does this sort of discount except for corporate fares. And these low dollar base fare tends to be on the deeply discount economy.
xooz and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 8:09 pm

YQ ex-Europe

It seems like UA YQ ex-Europe has materially increased in the last 12-18months. Absent looking for a fuel dump, has anyone identified any YQ friendly European departure countries?
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OldNewYorker
It seems like UA YQ ex-Europe has materially increased in the last 12-18months. Absent looking for a fuel dump, has anyone identified any YQ friendly European departure countries?
It's the same among EU countries and the big three carriers (the airlines determine YQ, not the countries) -- currently $200 each-way coach, $420 each-way Premium Economy, and $950 each-way Business.
As already pointed out, what you pay is a combination of base fare and YQ. Even if YQ is lower, the airlines could just charge more for base fare and what you pay could be the same.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's the same among EU countries and the big three carriers (the airlines determine YQ, not the countries) -- currently $200 each-way coach, $420 each-way Premium Economy, and $950 each-way Business.
As already pointed out, what you pay is a combination of base fare and YQ. Even if YQ is lower, the airlines could just charge more for base fare and what you pay could be the same.
Yes, but if you can glitch the faring engine, YQ can be dumped more readily than working around the actual fares/availability.
SPN Lifer and OldNewYorker like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:22 am

@xliioper I don’t think that is the case. I quickly checked matrix and the YQ for LIS-EWR RT J is €500 while BCN-EWR RT J is €600, while premium economy is €260 & €220 respectively.

Last edited by OldNewYorker; Nov 26, 2023 at 6:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.