Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA suspends pilot due to social media posts (link)

Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This obviously high profile topic.

The conflicts in the Middle East are nominally an OMNI/PR discussion, however in the case of a UA pilot being suspended by UA brings some UA aspects in play.
This forum IS NOT the place to debate the pilot's personal opinion. Getting into that aspect will get posts deleted or thread closed.

What is acceptable is if UA should or should not suspend a pilot for their personal social media posts (while not commenting on the post content).
Does UA's desire to not become the target of one side or the other on a hot button, controversial issue warrant this reaction.

Again, posts going into the Middle East conflicts will be deleted in their entirety. Otherwise, it will be too hard to keep the thread on just the UA related topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Reiterating

The content of the pilot's social media post IS NOT a topic for discussion in this forum. It was expressed an opinion from one point of view related to the present / long existing conflict. It was, for the lack of a better word, a political post and we do not political issues in the UA forum. FT has a forum, OMNI/PR, for those discussions,

However, we do discuss UA and how UA handles an "identified" employees posting opinions UA may not want to be associated with. Believe UA does have a employee social media policy (can someone post that?).

If you wish to discuss the pilot or the pilot's post, please take that to OMNI/PR.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

https://liveandletsfly.com/ibrahim-m...ited-airlines/
rch4u likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
To do with Israel-Palestinian conflict, and what the pilot posted on social media.

UA: This pilot has been removed from service, with pay, while we look into this matter.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:32 am

This is pretty standard response from any corporations. Immediate suspension but not fired yet, pending internal investigation. There are clear structured process at big corporation like UA when dealing with these things. They don't just fire people without investigation into the alleged conduct violations.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This obviously high profile topic.

The conflicts in the Middle East are nominally an OMNI/PR discussion, however in the case of a UA pilot being suspended by UA brings some UA aspects in play.
This forum IS NOT the place to debate the pilot's personal opinion. Getting into that aspect will get posts deleted or thread closed.

What is acceptable is if UA should or should not suspend a pilot for their personal social media posts (while not commenting on the post content).
Does UA's desire to not become the target of one side or the other on a hot button, controversial issue warrant this reaction.

Again, posts going into the Middle East conflicts will be deleted in their entirety. Otherwise, it will be too hard to keep the thread on just the UA related topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 22, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:44 pm

Good.

There is a whole world of people that should learn what discretion means and not to put their whole life out onto social media. It's not necessary for everyone to know who you work for, your hot topic opinions, what you had for lunch or that you just visited the loo.
jamiel, EricH, BA or bust and 13 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:20 pm

I'm a retired professional and I have always been aware that posts, websites, etc. have the potential to adversely influence my professional life. One expects that other professionals (i.e., pilots) would be aware of this and would be circumspect in postings.

Perhaps the instant response character of social media makes this worse.

By the way, many of us post without personally identifiable information precisely to avoid this sort of issue.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malbik
I'm a retired professional and I have always been aware that posts, websites, etc. have the potential to adversely influence my professional life. One expects that other professionals (i.e., pilots) would be aware of this and would be circumspect in postings.

Perhaps the instant response character of social media makes this worse.

By the way, many of us post without personally identifiable information precisely to avoid this sort of issue.
This. The internet never forgets.

I am also retired, but while I was employed, during our annual mandatory discovery training, it included a presentation on the stupid things attorneys and agents had done on the internet over the past 12 months. Which, in most cases, resulted in the loss of a job.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Did he list his own name as his handle? If so why not just use a bogus one so no one can know it was u?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malbik
Understood, but when people are asking for help with their travel plans, is actual route posting consider personal identifiable information? Hundreds of people travel on one single flight, hundreds of thousands of flyers every single day just in the US alone. Sometimes only generic information/solution can be offered without specific routing info. Don't even need a travel date.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Something similar involving an AC pilot last month:

https://viewfromthewing.com/air-cana...ath-to-israel/

("Air Canada Suspends Anti-Semitic Pilot Who Wished Death To Israel")
Old Nov 22, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How does a political disagreement objectively effect the pilots ability to operate an aircraft?
FMDXR, sodaisei and A319 V2500 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
How does a political disagreement objectively effect the pilots ability to operate an aircraft?
It doesn't. But it does impact the employer's image. How this turns out likely depends on what United's rules on off duty conduct permits and prohibits on the issue of off-duty political expression.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 22, 2023 at 3:14 pm Reason: Let's stay away from discussing the content of the social media post.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Something similar involving an AC pilot last month:

https://viewfromthewing.com/air-cana...ath-to-israel/

("Air Canada Suspends Anti-Semitic Pilot Who Wished Death To Israel")
Good job for Air Canada as well.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be an interesting flight if two pilots had very strong opposite political views that they weren't shy about sharing publicly.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:36 pm

Doesn't matter. It is moot. Your action do not have to impact your ability to perform your job for you to get fired. You are a representative of the company in public. You are expected to conduct yourself in a certain ways. There are clear guidelines and policies. Even as CEO, you are employed by the company and can get swiftly canned, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.