Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Monetizing Customer Data - Targeted Advertising on Mobile App & Inflight Screens

Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by Clemson
Most corporations already use customer data for marketing purposes, including limited sharing with third parties. If you live in certain states (California for one) that have recently passed privacy laws, you can make a request to United that they not sell or share your personal information for ad purposes. You can access the form directly here: https://uniteddigital.iad1.qualtrics...8OQmAbr20oeHn8 or, if you don't trust the link, you can access the form from United.com (scroll to the bottom, click "Do Not Sell My Personal Information").

Based on United's Privacy Policy (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/privacy.html) they can already do a heck of a lot of things with the information they have on you. Unless there's some national legislation on this or a whole heck of a lot of other states pass privacy laws similar to California's, I'm not sure how someone in the US really avoids things like this short of not using the internet or signing up for any sort of store membership/account. I skimmed their privacy policy and it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Originally Posted by narvik
Most corporations already use customer data for marketing purposes, including limited sharing with third parties. If you live in certain states (California for one)......
FWIW: It's California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia..
Just be careful, if you ask them to delete all of your information you may find yourself without a MileagePlus account. I just requested a copy of what information they're sharing with third parties, which California residents can do pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83 by sending an email to [email protected], to assess if there's anything concerning in there.
7 June 2024

https://www.united.com/en/us/newsroo... Media Network
June 7, 2024
Products and Customer Experience

Kinective Media by United Airlines is the only media network that uses insights from travel behaviors to connect customers to personalized advertising, experiences and offers from leading brands

Advertising technology platform uses United's data to create anonymized audience segments that marketers can reach on the airline's mobile app, inflight entertainment screens and more

United is already working with dozens of global brands and agencies including Norwegian Cruise Line, Macy's, Chase United Co-Brand Credit Cards, TelevisaUnivision, IHG Hotels & Resorts and Dentsu

Commercial launch planned at Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity

CHICAGO, June 7, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the launch of Kinective Media by United Airlines - the first media network that uses insights from travel behaviors to connect customers to personalized, real-time advertising, content, experiences and offers from leading brands.

The new technology platform gives marketers the opportunity to scale their reach across a wide range of channels including United's award-winning mobile app and inflight entertainment screens. And the airline expects its MileagePlus® members will receive additional value through more personalized and real-time offers and experiences that drive even greater loyalty.

Kinective Media is already working with brands such as Norwegian Cruise Line, Macy's, Chase United Co-Brand Credit Cards, TelevisaUnivision, IHG Hotels & Resorts, as well as agency groups like Dentsu. The focus is on premium brand relationships across key verticals such as retail, luxury goods, financial services, automotive, media brands and travel.

Kinective Media plans a formal commercial launch at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.

"We've built a first-of-its-kind, real-time, adtech-enabled traveler media network where brands have already started connecting to premium audiences at an unmatched scale," said Richard Nunn, CEO of MileagePlus. "Unlike some commerce media platforms, United gives brands across a wide range of industries the ability to reach engaged customers throughout the entire marketing funnel – from brand consideration to conversion – in a way that's highly personalized and relevant, and we're already seeing impressive results. There has been a huge strategic shift within this high growth sector in the past five years where advertisers and brands have come together to determine how best to connect with consumers in a way that's valuable, effective and personalized."

Kinective Media aims to enhance the travel experience while growing the trust that travelers place in United. Advertisers cannot access the personally identifiable information of United customers - instead, Kinective Media leverages the insights of U.S. customers aged 18 and over to create aggregated and anonymized audience segments that it offers to Kinective Media advertisers. All U.S. customers have the option to opt-out of Kinective Media targeted advertising at any time.

United's Mobile App and Inflight Entertainment Screens

Kinective Media partners can scale their content through two of United's most impactful media channels, among others: its award-winning mobile app and the growing number of inflight entertainment screens across the airline's fleet, which are among the most addressable media assets in the industry.
  • The United Mobile App – United has the world's most downloaded airline mobile app, with 110+ million total downloads across IOS & Android and nearly 100 million sessions per month.
  • United continually seeks to add new, industry-first features to help travelers save time and make the travel experience even easier including the ability to automatically switch from a middle seat to a window or aisle if it becomes available by choosing a seat preference in the seat map, and live personalized flight notifications with Live Activities for iPhone.
  • Seatback Entertainment – United has nearly 100,000 seatback screens across its fleet, with plans to grow these numbers as the airline takes delivery of new airplanes and retrofits existing aircraft as part of its United Next plan.

There is the potential for 3.5 hours of attention per traveler, based on average flight time. United's seatback screen content – which is also available on customer's personal devices –includes free access to more than 2,800 movies and shows, as well as a new 3D moving map, personalized connecting gate information and digitized food and drink menus. The inflight content is available in more than 20 different languages.

The new United signature interiors include 16-inch HD touch screens in each United Polaris® business class seat, 13-inch screens in every first class seat and 10-inch screens in every United Economy seat.
For more information about Kinective Media by United Airlines, visit http://kinectivemedia.com.
Print Wikipost

UA Monetizing Customer Data - Targeted Advertising on Mobile App & Inflight Screens

Old Jun 9, 2024, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=NJSwamplands;36293820]Okay i give up. i clicked the opting out and got a wall of text. I clicked on my profile as suggested and cannot locate/find where to opt out. Any help much needed and shame on UA for making this beyond a click here button to opt out.[/QUOTE
An universal opt-out may not be what you want.
You probably wnat a selective set of opt outs
https://www.united.com/en/us/account...es?accordion=2
Changing your marketing preferences
MileagePlus members can opt out of receiving marketing or promotion-related emails, phone calls or direct mail from United by accessing their account profile information on the United website and changing their profile to indicate their desire to be excluded. In addition, members can contact the MileagePlus Service Center by phone or in writing and request a profile change. Emails sent to members will contain a message and link on how to opt out of that type of communication in the future. Regardless of your opt-out preferences, we reserve the right to send you emails or other communications for administrative purposes.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 10:58 am

UA Kinective

A little tongue in cheek here but with UA’s announcement of its new Kinective Media company formed to sell aggregate pax data to 3rd parties (because as UA wrote to its clients “there is the potential for 3.5 hours of attention per traveler, based on average flight time”), I wonder if they are charging more for the GS aggregate? 😀

Selling data is nothing new but forming a new company takes it to new heights (pun intended). I can just see the delays if everyone has to watch an ad in order to bring up their BP.

Would love to know if anyone out there knows more about this. I did read some articles on how to opt out but who knows if it will work.

Old Jun 11, 2024, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have a growing concern that the end point of this initiative will be the following:

1. and endless stream of marketing content on the seat back screens
2. losing the ability to dim or fully dim the screen so there is always content viewable even if it's not bright
3. adding "commercials" to the IFE system
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I knew this was only a matter of time for United after CES 2023 when Delta announced its Sync product. The customer-facing aspect de-emphasizes the monetization (https://news.delta.com/numbers-delta...ymiles-members) but there is no doubt what the objective is:

• In-flight access to curated entertainment, exclusive offers and more from brands you love when you sign in to Delta Sync Wi-Fi

Old Jun 11, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have a growing concern that the end point of this initiative will be the following:

1. and endless stream of marketing content on the seat back screens
2. losing the ability to dim or fully dim the screen so there is always content viewable even if it's not bright
In that scenario, perhaps someone can design a seatback screen cover.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
3. adding "commercials" to the IFE system
That would just push me to make more of an effort to download and view content on my personal device instead of interacting with UA IFE at all.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following on from discussion in the safety video thread that is now more relevant here, regarding number of ads and skipability or not —
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36286618-post84.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36288465-post87.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36288997-post89.html

I've now had a flight with zero ads. It was the return on a domestic route for which outbound I had three ads. With the return, I went to try fastforwarding, expecting nothing to happen, and I was quite pleased to see it respond. But then I found I'd skipped my entire film.

I guess they identified the one area of service still lacking that classic UA inconsistency, and they figured out what to do! 🤦‍♀️
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Selects Magnite's SpringServe to Power Advertising (globenewswire.com)
- Magnite (NASDAQ: MGNI), the largest independent sell-side advertising company, today announced it will power the delivery of advertising on United Airlines’ inflight personal device entertainment (PDE) platform. United’s PDE platform allows customers to stream entertainment content on their own devices, such as phones, tablets, and laptop computers. The partnership follows the recent launch of Kinective Media by United Airlines, which allows advertisers to reach United travelers and MileagePlus members throughout their travel journeys and beyond.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.