Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The most bizarre and concerning inflight experience ever

Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

I was on UA33 NRT-LAX today (the 11th). One of the flight attendants behavior was so bizarre and concerning that I proactively addressed it with another FA and then the pursor. At first it was just lots of loud talking that was just annoying, no big deal at all. Once service started she was stumbling, mumbling and just simply acting completely out of it. She broke 2 glasses while taking them from my fiance's tray and then proceeded to pour water all of the carpet in the aisle saying that it would help clean up the glass. I cant make this up.... she was standing in the aisle literally pouring out a large bottle of water on the floor. I am very confident she was either medicated, intoxicated or not in a good mental state. Just watching her and listening to her was a clear indication that something was very off. My fiance and I were not sitting next to each other (10A and 11A) and were independently observing and we were equally in disbelief.

I went to the back galley and asked another FA if there was something going on and was this FA ok... I was essentially dismissed and offered a glass of wine. no joke. I then discussed with the pursor (who I have flown with before) and it was also fully dismissed. She told me, "That's just how she is." There were repeated arguments in the galley between this FA and the others as well. She even called the pursor fat at one point. I heard all of this from my seat.

I wont even get into how bad the service was as that is not the point of this post.

This FA had no place being on an aircraft where safety is the number one priority. I'm almost to 2M miles with UA and I have never witnessed anything like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I understand your concern. However, I am not understanding what you expect the other crew to do, have a detailed discussion with you about their peer possibly having a mental health crisis? Really?
the phoenix and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I understand your concern. However, I am not understanding what you expect the other crew to do, have a detailed discussion with you about their peer possibly having a mental health crisis? Really?
I addressed it with the crew to make sure they were aware of the behavior. Trust me, if you had witnessed it, you would have been concerned for this FA as well.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Report to GS desk... GS feedback can actually have impact on FAs.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will say that makes my personal bizarre recent NRT-LAX experience pale in comparison *.

Anyway, this seems like a clear enough issue that it should be addressed. It doesn't seem as if the crew did so on board, so I hope you write in (and/or UA's lurkers pay attention to this thread).

* Mine was that the purser ignored me while taking meal orders on the ground, when in the air after being prompted about was I skipped for orders, told me I'd preordered when I hadn't, served me someone else's preorder, and then continued to fully ignore me for the rest of the flight. Awkward, but not safety-concerning.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You can also file an ASRS report. It's normally intended for crew, but you can file one as a passenger as well.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM

That this behavior by the other FAs is concerning is valid. That is the most troubling part of this whole story, IMO.

Just read OP's post again, and instead of the out-of-it FA, read the account by replacing that person with a passenger; and then imagine such behavior going unhindered by all the FAs.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I was on UA33 NRT-LAX today (the 11th). One of the flight attendants behavior was so bizarre and concerning that I proactively addressed it with another FA and then the pursor. At first it was just lots of loud talking that was just annoying, no big deal at all. Once service started she was stumbling, mumbling and just simply acting completely out of it. She broke 2 glasses while taking them from my fiance's tray and then proceeded to pour water all of the carpet in the aisle saying that it would help clean up the glass. I cant make this up.... she was standing in the aisle literally pouring out a large bottle of water on the floor. I am very confident she was either medicated, intoxicated or not in a good mental state. Just watching her and listening to her was a clear indication that something was very off. My fiance and I were not sitting next to each other (10A and 11A) and were independently observing and we were equally in disbelief.

I went to the back galley and asked another FA if there was something going on and was this FA ok... I was essentially dismissed and offered a glass of wine. no joke. I then discussed with the pursor (who I have flown with before) and it was also fully dismissed. She told me, "That's just how she is." There were repeated arguments in the galley between this FA and the others as well. She even called the pursor fat at one point. I heard all of this from my seat.

I wont even get into how bad the service was as that is not the point of this post.

This FA had no place being on an aircraft where safety is the number one priority. I'm almost to 2M miles with UA and I have never witnessed anything like this.

YIKES! Definitely take a moment to write GS and United about this, very concerning for anyone on an aircraft with this FA. Thanks for sharing this
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:37 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
And to make sure UA actually handled it and doesn't get stopped at the union rep, this could be a valid point to raise with the DOT/FAA imo.

​​​​​
squeakr and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
That is truly bizarre -- and I think I have a good idea of who it was lol.... I wonder if she thought that she was preventing stains by diluting it or using the water to wash the tiny pieces to the bottom of the carpet since they have no vacuum's on board? Regardless -- the rest of the crews lack of concern probably would tell me they are all used to it and it's not going to change -- not that it's right.... The joys of seniority....
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:30 am

Honestly, maybe a FA on the board can weigh in but I am not sure what they could really say to you, the fact they didn’t act concerned doesn’t mean they weren’t and didn’t report the issue, I would assume the more concerned they were the less concerned they may act, obviously you can’t just speak to someone in an altered state of mind, if they restrained her and made her sit down it might have meant an emergency landing

you should definitely report it
kb1992, wrp96 and DASRTR like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: *
I think the title of this thread is a bit exagerrated and dramatic. Breaking it down there seems not much unusual aside from pouring water ( which who knows may be some FA hack for dealing with broken glass). Loud FAs, FAs mumbling or FAs arguing are not uncommon in UA, stumbling ones too - we had that FTer injured in their sleep other week. Glass breaking is accidental and not first time it happened. Calling colleague fat would be impossible to corroborate and unlikely to be taken serious. I think one would need something more concrete and egregious to expect any action to be taken against the FA.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I am fairly confident that if it was a pax, she would have been hauled off or there would have been a diversion. Albeit which may have been challenged at gun point by the FO. But hey, the joy of flying the friendly skies these days
squeakr and kb1992 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:58 am

Sorry to hear about the experience
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by avi8tir

I read this in a mixed view. I've seen fas on tpacs which as you say were 'out of it' and that could easily be attributed to their schedule, commute, or personal events etc. Assuming influence of drugs is quite the stretch for a fa position, do you have the factual evidence to make that claim?

I've been spilled on before by fas. In your case I don't see any harm/damage to you or your fiance besides an awkward interaction and service disruption. Imo that happens in all types of service, have you not been to a restaurant where something gets broken or someone in the kitchen says things to someone else? Mistakes happen, dishes get broken. At some point it's not your business when it doesn't affect you. Did you offer any assistance to the fa to help pick up the glass instead of gawking? If they were as distressed as you make them seem they could use some help instead of disparagement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.