Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Double PlusPoints being taken for GS award upgrade (80 vs 40)

Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

I had 2 future flights that I cancelled recently. Both were one ways and were confirmed into Polaris PN.

when I cancelled it said it was refunding 80PP. After I cancelled I confirmed that 80 had been taken. It was the same on the other flight as well.

has this happened to anyone else? FYI, these were both saver award tickets that I upgraded.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Do you mean you are short PlusPoints now, and they didn't refund enough?
You have to watch the PlusPoints like a hawk; they don't always refund them all, and a call will be necessary sometimes.

It can get confusing:

Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
Do you mean you are short PlusPoints now, and they didn't refund enough?
You have to watch the PlusPoints like a hawk; they don't always refund them all, and a call will be necessary sometimes.

It can get confusing:

no, I mean it should have been 40 but they took 80. On both. Got them back but I guess I need to pay attention in the future. Unless theyve changed the rules for GS upgrading from saver to require 80 but I havent read anything about that. Either way, it definitely didnt say 80 at the time of booking.

I did upgrade from a K fare recently and it required 80 but it said it at the time of booking. I didnt even know it was possible to upgrade on anything lower than a W fare.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I had a recent upgrade deduct 40pp when it cleared 2 weeks out and then again the day of the flight. Took more time on chat than it should have to get the 40 reinstated.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
80 PPs sounds reasonable to me from XN to Polaris. UA programmers are ahead of policy change announcement, I guess.

Add: In the dynamic award pricing, X/XN fare is closer to K than W. Hence, 80 PPs are more reasonable than 40 PPs for upgrade to Polaris.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 6, 2023 at 2:58 am
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
80 PPs sounds reasonable to me from XN to Polaris. UA programmers are ahead of policy change announcement, I guess.
Policy change announcement?

I have XN flights and am unable to apply PlusPoints as a 1K. Is this changing?
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

1K members cannot upgrade award tickets with 1K PlusPoints.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Only GS can upgrade X/XN tickets (miles could come from anyone).

Originally Posted by Kmxu

Add: In the dynamic award pricing, X/XN fare is closer to K than W. Hence, 80 PPs are more reasonable than 40 PPs for upgrade to Polaris.
IME, UA always charged 40 PP for X/XN upgrades using GS PP.

Originally Posted by drewguy
I had a recent upgrade deduct 40pp when it cleared 2 weeks out and then again the day of the flight. Took more time on chat than it should have to get the 40 reinstated.
This is indeed a pain. You have to keep tracking your PP like a hawk.

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I had 2 future flights that I cancelled recently. Both were one ways and were confirmed into Polaris PN.

when I cancelled it said it was refunding 80PP. After I cancelled I confirmed that 80 had been taken. It was the same on the other flight as well.

has this happened to anyone else? FYI, these were both saver award tickets that I upgraded.
Did you pay 80 PP for one flight award ticket? It should be 40.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:15 pm

Double charged plus pointsagain

Not the first timeI made a change to a GS award ticket this am and the agent said the only way to make the adjustment was to remove and re-apply the plus points. PN was available, so no issue doing it
but80 plus points deducted at time of booking, 80 more taken today. Argh. Last time it took 4 calls and several hrs to get this fixed
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.