DXB pricing

Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 1,259
DXB pricing

Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Is this normal for this route?
avi8tir is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Is this normal for this route?
Same here. I never fly this route but need to make a Q1/2 visit for 5 days in Dubai. $13K???
limey1K is online now  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:51 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,059
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is UA out of their mind?
As long as they can get buyers, they're within their mind. Thank the Fly America Act.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:59 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Posts: 14,575
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Is this normal for this route?
it works for United. Right now, thanks perhaps to whats happening elsewhere in the region, coach pricing has plummetedat least in the short term.
jamiel likes this.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 1
I've been watching some business class fares Brisbane to Las Vegas. They have been steady for weeks. Overnight, went from $8.5k to $17k. Same amount of business class seats avail on the map so who knows why it has jumped so much.

Hoping it's a glitch but I'm figuring not sadly...
juljas is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 2,755
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As long as they can get buyers, they're within their mind. Thank the Fly America Act.
Has the award changed? It was jetblue out of WAS connecting to whoever their current partners are.
uanj is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:50 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,543
I assume business class? Seeing consistently $5800 in Z-class. Not cheap, but not terrible IMO either ... AF is the cheapest by far in terms of the larger carriers.

cfischer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:52 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Posts: 10,111
I mean unless you have to fly UA for some reason, this is an easy decision to go with EK.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:03 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,543
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I mean unless you have to fly UA for some reason, this is an easy decision to go with EK.
o.k., sure. EK costs $6.7k .... so UA is cheaper than EK
cfischer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:23 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 14,815
When next year - that's a wide swath? I suspect you are probably looking months out?

UA typically has high prices for farther out travel, and then a couple of months are so before departure, drops them to 'normal' levels as needed. Of course, if they fill up enough earlier at those prices to determine they don't need to discount, then they won't. This is UAs pricing strategy - in general.

Noticed this on other routes as well. SFO-SIN really high on UA, for example, next summer, but SQ completely normal pricing. SQ will get higher, at some point, probably hitting what UA is now (and higher) once they begin to sell enough seats. UA will go down and up a bit, and then probably have a drop to normal territory in spring sometime. So if you can book pretty early, obviously SQ is the way to go - if you book 1-2 months before, UA will almost certainly be cheaper.
ContinentalFan likes this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As long as they can get buyers, they're within their mind. Thank the Fly America Act.
Yup. There's a large part of the world that's a short hop from DXB but a long hop from any other destination an American carrier serves. And those of us subject to the act would much rather do a long haul from US and then a short hop than other combinations.

Anecdotally, UA is also aware of the dollar threshold exemptions to Fly America and will strategically price fares at just below the exemption delta to steer traffic to UA while maximizing revenue.
prometa is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:54 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 6,094
Originally Posted by prometa
Yup. There's a large part of the world that's a short hop from DXB but a long hop from any other destination an American carrier serves. And those of us subject to the act would much rather do a long haul from US and then a short hop than other combinations.

Anecdotally, UA is also aware of the dollar threshold exemptions to Fly America and will strategically price fares at just below the exemption delta to steer traffic to UA while maximizing revenue.
So true -- I go to BAH regularly and EK wants a massive premium to use their (inferior) plane at a much worse time (I can arrive before midnight on GF on a 787-9 versus 2:30am on EK) from EWR -- I'm very thankful for the UA flight -- just don't need the EK premium add on....
AJNEDC likes this.
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD / PHX
Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Is this normal for this route?
Its so obvious! You of course pay a premium for the privilege of stopping in and transiting EWR!
The EWR Premium.
MileTrek likes this.
tcdtcd is online now  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 1,206
Dates?
RetiredATLATC is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:46 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When next year - that's a wide swath? I suspect you are probably looking months out?

UA typically has high prices for farther out travel, and then a couple of months are so before departure, drops them to 'normal' levels as needed. Of course, if they fill up enough earlier at those prices to determine they don't need to discount, then they won't. This is UAs pricing strategy - in general.

Noticed this on other routes as well. SFO-SIN really high on UA, for example, next summer, but SQ completely normal pricing. SQ will get higher, at some point, probably hitting what UA is now (and higher) once they begin to sell enough seats. UA will go down and up a bit, and then probably have a drop to normal territory in spring sometime. So if you can book pretty early, obviously SQ is the way to go - if you book 1-2 months before, UA will almost certainly be cheaper.
It's way out... next June. I have an alert set on google flights so will watch but just surprises me with it being double EK.
avi8tir is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.