DXB pricing

Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
DXB pricing

Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Is this normal for this route?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Is UA out of their mind? I am looking at IAH-EWR-DXB for next year and UA is double the price of the EK nonstop as well as the 1 stop on QR.

Same here. I never fly this route but need to make a Q1/2 visit for 5 days in Dubai. $13K???
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is UA out of their mind?
As long as they can get buyers, they're within their mind. Thank the Fly America Act.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

it works for United. Right now, thanks perhaps to whats happening elsewhere in the region, coach pricing has plummetedat least in the short term.
jamiel likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:06 pm

I've been watching some business class fares Brisbane to Las Vegas. They have been steady for weeks. Overnight, went from $8.5k to $17k. Same amount of business class seats avail on the map so who knows why it has jumped so much.

Hoping it's a glitch but I'm figuring not sadly...
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As long as they can get buyers, they're within their mind. Thank the Fly America Act.
Has the award changed? It was jetblue out of WAS connecting to whoever their current partners are.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I assume business class? Seeing consistently $5800 in Z-class. Not cheap, but not terrible IMO either ... AF is the cheapest by far in terms of the larger carriers.

Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I mean unless you have to fly UA for some reason, this is an easy decision to go with EK.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I mean unless you have to fly UA for some reason, this is an easy decision to go with EK.
o.k., sure. EK costs $6.7k .... so UA is cheaper than EK
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When next year - that's a wide swath? I suspect you are probably looking months out?

UA typically has high prices for farther out travel, and then a couple of months are so before departure, drops them to 'normal' levels as needed. Of course, if they fill up enough earlier at those prices to determine they don't need to discount, then they won't. This is UAs pricing strategy - in general.

Noticed this on other routes as well. SFO-SIN really high on UA, for example, next summer, but SQ completely normal pricing. SQ will get higher, at some point, probably hitting what UA is now (and higher) once they begin to sell enough seats. UA will go down and up a bit, and then probably have a drop to normal territory in spring sometime. So if you can book pretty early, obviously SQ is the way to go - if you book 1-2 months before, UA will almost certainly be cheaper.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yup. There's a large part of the world that's a short hop from DXB but a long hop from any other destination an American carrier serves. And those of us subject to the act would much rather do a long haul from US and then a short hop than other combinations.

Anecdotally, UA is also aware of the dollar threshold exemptions to Fly America and will strategically price fares at just below the exemption delta to steer traffic to UA while maximizing revenue.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by prometa
Yup. There's a large part of the world that's a short hop from DXB but a long hop from any other destination an American carrier serves. And those of us subject to the act would much rather do a long haul from US and then a short hop than other combinations.

Anecdotally, UA is also aware of the dollar threshold exemptions to Fly America and will strategically price fares at just below the exemption delta to steer traffic to UA while maximizing revenue.
So true -- I go to BAH regularly and EK wants a massive premium to use their (inferior) plane at a much worse time (I can arrive before midnight on GF on a 787-9 versus 2:30am on EK) from EWR -- I'm very thankful for the UA flight -- just don't need the EK premium add on....
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat

Its so obvious! You of course pay a premium for the privilege of stopping in and transiting EWR!
The EWR Premium.
MileTrek likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Dates?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When next year - that's a wide swath? I suspect you are probably looking months out?

UA typically has high prices for farther out travel, and then a couple of months are so before departure, drops them to 'normal' levels as needed. Of course, if they fill up enough earlier at those prices to determine they don't need to discount, then they won't. This is UAs pricing strategy - in general.

Noticed this on other routes as well. SFO-SIN really high on UA, for example, next summer, but SQ completely normal pricing. SQ will get higher, at some point, probably hitting what UA is now (and higher) once they begin to sell enough seats. UA will go down and up a bit, and then probably have a drop to normal territory in spring sometime. So if you can book pretty early, obviously SQ is the way to go - if you book 1-2 months before, UA will almost certainly be cheaper.
It's way out... next June. I have an alert set on google flights so will watch but just surprises me with it being double EK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.