Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Polaris in-flight dining survey -- Oct 2023

Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist

Received a survey just now about Polaris dining. One of the themes was the idea of pace/type of service on late night or shorter flights. Specifically, they pose the idea of how jetBlue does their service where it's a bit of a "tasting menu", 2 apps, 2 mains from a list of 8 items.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm
Received a survey just now about Polaris dining. One of the themes was the idea of pace/type of service on late night or shorter flights. Specifically, they pose the idea of how jetBlue does their service where it's a bit of a "tasting menu", 2 apps, 2 mains from a list of 8 items.
Got the same survey. Seems like they're potentially redesigning service for late night flights, I got a bunch of questions around 9PM+ local time departures.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Just completed a survey on Polaris dining myself.

There were questions asking about preference of all items delivered on a tray at once versus meals served as courses. I picked "served as courses" every time despite them trying to lead me to pick "all on one tray".

The survey finished with several questions about a meal service described as "Your choice of four small, assorted dishes, and a dessert - delivered on one tray" They described several options for these "dishes" all of which seemed more like snacks with no obvious traditional main courses.

The survey finished with asking me if there was anything else I would like to tell them about Polaris dining. I told them "When Polaris first launched, the food and beverage offerings were excellent. If you want me to be happy, go back to that."
Old Oct 11, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Just completed a survey on Polaris dining myself.

There were questions asking about preference of all items delivered on a tray at once versus meals served as courses. I picked "served as courses" every time despite them trying to lead me to pick "all on one tray".

The survey finished with several questions about a meal service described as "Your choice of four small, assorted dishes, and a dessert - delivered on one tray" They described several options for these "dishes" all of which seemed more like snacks with no obvious traditional main courses.

The survey finished with asking me if there was anything else I would like to tell them about Polaris dining. I told them "When Polaris first launched, the food and beverage offerings were excellent. If you want me to be happy, go back to that."
Got the same survey. And I did/said the same things as you...not that Kirby and his Kutbacks will listen.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Anyone else got the survey about Polaris food?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by benewr
Anyone else got the survey about Polaris food?
Yes...it was mentioned two or 3 posts back...
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Would love a tasting menu selection option.
SFO_FT and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

also got that and made it very clear to UA that they should go back to doing separate appetizer , salad, and main presentations. Also improve pre order so everyone can choose what they want and that this tasting menu sounds not so great.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UAschoolflyer
Also improve pre order so everyone can choose what they want and that this tasting menu sounds not so great.
The preorder was my comment at the end of the survey. Said catering should be based on preorders, not the other way around!
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MatthewT
The preorder was my comment at the end of the survey. Said catering should be based on preorders, not the other way around!
Exactly -- unfortunately the pre-orders exist to optimize UA's loading of meals -- to reduce their expense -- not to improve passenger experience lol. UA has decades of experience on chicken / beef / fish / pasta selection choices -- this is not to add to that dataset....
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Got the same survey. And I did/said the same things as you...not that Kirby and his Kutbacks will listen.
Same here. Got the survey, responded with a virtually identical message. I also added that food and service are linked. So, they should focus on improving the consistency of FA service while they focus on improving the quality, quantity and presentation of the food. If FT is any indication of the larger survey responses, United should be hearing some consistent themes.
DJ_Iceman and KansasMike like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UAschoolflyer
also got that and made it very clear to UA that they should go back to doing separate appetizer , salad, and main presentations. Also improve pre order so everyone can choose what they want and that this tasting menu sounds not so great.
on redeye flights over 8hrs departing before 8pm local or 12+ hr flights they should go to this not on shorter flights. Anything under 8hrs or TATL flights departing after 8pm it is my preference to get the meal service over with as quickly as possible. I would love app, salad, and main all at once then dessert and everything done 90min into the flight on any TATL to maximize sleep. UA could pair this with an extensive meal on the return, such as separate courses consisting of drinks, app, salad, soup, main, cheese, dessert. I think if they could get the marketing right it would be a big success.

Originally Posted by MatthewT
I also wish they would use pre-orders to expand the options they have, why not have 10-15 choices for pre-orders, they don't even really need to increase the numbers of meals the kitchen makes, just make everything available on every flight. For instance there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to get a Japanese meal on a SFO-LHR flight.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Would love a tasting menu selection option.
I don't think you would have liked the options described in the survey. We aren't talking about a Michelin starred restaurant tasting menu. Think, break open the snack boxes (hummus, cheese, salami), plate them and call it good.
KansasMike and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 9elf S
I don't think you would have liked the options described in the survey. We aren't talking about a Michelin starred restaurant tasting menu. Think, break open the snack boxes (hummus, cheese, salami), plate them and call it good.
This would be my fear. You know they will go cheapest possible.
KansasMike and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: MP Silver
if going cheapest possible, why not treat us to a happy meal with exclusive in flight toy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.